LM17 Failed to upgrade What's wrong?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

LM17 Failed to upgrade What's wrong?

Post by windyweather »

Installed LM17 Cinnamon a few days ago. Just checked and I can't do the upgrade,
W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... _amd64.deb
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.14 80]
So how do I fix this?

Also, the Shield at the bottom of the screen says the system is up to date, but there are 6 level 5 updates that look like very serious [Red Level 5 Security Updates] that involve the kernel.

Thanks,
ww
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
[Systems include LM 20 in VirtualBox / Win 10 Host on AMD Ryzen 3800x / AsRock A300 Ryzen 3200G]
WharfRat

Re: LM17 Failed to upgrade What's wrong?

Post by WharfRat »

The server seems to be responding now, try a dist-upgrade in the terminal for the kernel update.

Good luck :wink:
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

Post by windyweather »

WharfRat wrote:The server seems to be responding now, try a dist-upgrade in the terminal for the kernel update.

Good luck :wink:
Still getting the same error. And please explain the dist-upgrade thing.

Code: Select all

xxx@LM17VM ~ $ dist-upgrade
dist-upgrade: command not found
xxx@LM17VM ~ $ 
Or did you mean dist [SPACE] -upgrade??

xxx@LM17VM ~ $ dist -upgrade
The program 'dist' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install nmh
xxx@LM17VM ~ $ sudo apt-get install nmh
[sudo] password for xxx: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
  exmh mh-e mh-book par libmime-tools-perl
Recommended packages:
  default-mta mail-transport-agent
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  nmh
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
Need to get 880 kB of archives.
After this operation, 4,840 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe nmh amd64 1.5-release-5 [880 kB]
Fetched 880 kB in 4s (194 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package nmh.
(Reading database ... 149814 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../nmh_1.5-release-5_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking nmh (1.5-release-5) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1) ...
Setting up nmh (1.5-release-5) ...
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for mailx
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/mh/mhmail to provide /usr/bin/mailx (mailx) in auto mode
update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/share/man/man1/mailx.1.gz because associated file /usr/share/man/man1/mhmail.1.gz (of link group mailx) doesn't exist
update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/share/man/man1/mail.1.gz because associated file /usr/share/man/man1/mhmail.1.gz (of link group mailx) doesn't exist
update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/share/man/man1/Mail.1.gz because associated file /usr/share/man/man1/mhmail.1.gz (of link group mailx) doesn't exist
xxx@LM17VM ~ $ dist -upgrade
The program 'dist' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install nmh
xxx@LM17VM ~ $ 
hum... Guess not.
[Systems include LM 20 in VirtualBox / Win 10 Host on AMD Ryzen 3800x / AsRock A300 Ryzen 3200G]
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

dist-upgrade is a way of upgrading with the terminal!

Use Mint update to upgrade your kernel. or in a terminal, you can type:

apt update && apt dist-upgrade
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

Ok, so what about the rest of us??

Post by windyweather »

Ok. So I can do these steps no problem. But surely this is not what we expect "Office Workers" and other early adopters of LM17 to do to get their systems back on track?
Am I rushing the gate here? I thought LM17 was released and now there is a roadblock?
Should I just wait a few weeks until the normal update process does this correctly?
Are these errors that I'm seeing a figment of the imagination of the dream of tying LM to Ubuntu and LM is not ready to just allow this upgrade?
Anyway. Sure does look like I'm not ready to tell my 10 friends who are using LM15 / 16 to upgrade to LM17.
Looks like it's not ready for prime time quite yet.

And speaking of NRFPT, still no action on the Comix Cursors as I have complained about so many times before...
Oh by the way... Comix Cursors need to be rolled back to 7.2.1 since any after that are corrupted with a gray background.
Oh, those are not part of LM, but are part of the parent? Then How do I compain to the right people to get them fixed, and why does nobody else use these nice large friendly cursors? Everybody else using small screens or have great eyesight in their 20's? Me and my other sixtegenarian friends all need large friendly cursors...

Thanks a bunch,

- ww
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

See the third post, by Clem, here : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 1&p=869417
killer de bug

Re: Ok, so what about the rest of us??

Post by killer de bug »

windyweather wrote: Anyway. Sure does look like I'm not ready to tell my 10 friends who are using LM15 / 16 to upgrade to LM17.
Looks like it's not ready for prime time quite yet.

And speaking of NRFPT, still no action on the Comix Cursors as I have complained about so many times before...
Oh by the way... Comix Cursors need to be rolled back to 7.2.1 since any after that are corrupted with a gray background.
Maybe you should ask for a refund... :lol:
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

Don't want a refund...

Post by windyweather »

I'm not looking for a refund. I'm looking for an LM17 experience like the ones since LM8 when I found LM.
They have all been stable and very largely free of any issues. :roll:
My friends and I are all using LM in VMs to be safe when shopping and banking.
But they are not geeks like me.
So "go use a terminal to upgrade your kernel" does not compute.
- ww
passerby

Post by passerby »

windyweather wrote:Installed LM17 Cinnamon a few days ago. Just checked and I can't do the upgrade,
W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... _amd64.deb
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.14 80]
So how do I fix this?
The error is coming up because that file does not exist.
The closest is: linux-libc-dev_3.13.0-24.46_amd64.deb
This means your package list isn't up to date. You'll need to refresh the list ("refresh" on the icon, or "reload" in Synaptic Package Manager).
After that you should see the version I mention above rather than the one your system failed to download.
windyweather wrote:Also, the Shield at the bottom of the screen says the system is up to date, but there are 6 level 5 updates that look like very serious [Red Level 5 Security Updates] that involve the kernel.
The "levels" indicate how risky/new the update is rather than how urgent.
Higher level updates are progressively tested and accordingly updated until they're considered safer and thus fall into lower level updates.
Level 5 security updates aren't the kind that regular users should be too worried about, so they aren't automatically applied.
Your system will be considered up to date if you've installed all of the updates of levels you've specified. (I think it's 1-3 by default)
windyweather wrote:So "go use a terminal to upgrade your kernel" does not compute.
You can install such updates through Synaptic, or change the settings for Mint Update (the shield icon).
It's not a matter of "if you want to upgrade your kernel, use the command line", but if the update isn't marked as "safe", then someone not familiar enough with the OS to abuse the terminal probably wouldn't want to risk an "unsafe" update.
In other words, the absolute newest version of the kernel isn't something that your everyday user should be concerned with. Best to wait until it's been tested thoroughly and undergone necessary revisions.
The main risks to your computer, especially since you're using it for shopping and banking, lie with your browser. Having an up to date browser with extensions like noscript, ABP and ghostery will do more for you than the latest kernel.
killer de bug

Re: Don't want a refund...

Post by killer de bug »

windyweather wrote: So "go use a terminal to upgrade your kernel" does not compute.
- ww
That's exactly why I told you "use the Update Manager". But nowadays people just read what they want to read and then complain...
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

passerby wrote: The "levels" indicate how risky/new the update is rather than how urgent.
Higher level updates are progressively tested and accordingly updated until they're considered safer and thus fall into lower level updates.
That's not true.
I have never seen an update starting at level 5 and then becoming a level 3. Never! A new kernel will always be a level 5 update. If you're gonna wait until it becomes a lower level update, well, don't hold your breath... :wink:
passerby

Post by passerby »

killer de bug wrote:
passerby wrote: The "levels" indicate how risky/new the update is rather than how urgent.
That's not true.
I have never seen an update starting at level 5 and then becoming a level 3. Never! A new kernel will always be a level 5 update. If you're gonna wait until it becomes a lower level update, well, don't hold your breath... :wink:
What I mean is, newer packages are tested and revised until an iteration of said package is considered stable.
The same exact version of the same exact package will not suddenly go from level 5 to level 3.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

passerby wrote: What I mean is, newer packages are tested and revised until an iteration of said package is considered stable.
The same exact version of the same exact package will not suddenly go from level 5 to level 3.
:shock: By whom, when, how and where?

Maybe what you say can apply to Romeo repo and the level one since it's mostly Mint stuff (and still it would be a different process than what you say). But for the other packages, it's coming from Ubuntu... And their level will never change. After that you can trust someone who said 'this level 3 upgrade is fine, I did it...' But it will not change the risk for you... Even if everyone report it as fine, it will not become a level 1 update :lol:
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

Well shucks...

Post by windyweather »

This means your package list isn't up to date. You'll need to refresh the list ("refresh" on the icon, or "reload" in Synaptic Package Manager).
Well shucks. Tried that. Looks like it works. Thanks a whole heap. I thought that the update manage automagically did a refresh on every reboot, but apparently not. I'll continue to watch this release for a while more and when it's stable I'll help all my friends migrate and leave all that other arguing to you folks.
Bye now.

Woops.. Spoke too soon. Those original red updates are still there. The refresh brought in a few other updates, and those installed fine, but the red ones are still there.
Guess I'll just keep watching for the fix every day or so.

ww
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Those red level 5 security updates that are still there as set to be displayed by default, but, not to install unless you check the box next to them before you click the install updates button. They are security updates for the kernel and as such could potentially cause something to break which is why they are not installed by default, if you uncheck the box 'always show security updates' then they will not be shown or you could install them if you are confident you are able to restore your system should it break. Personally I wait a few days after a level 5 update appears to see if anyone reports issues with it and then perform a fresh back up before installing.

Your system will show as up to date even though they are displayed as available to install, as up to date on default settings means all level 1,2 and 3 updates installed.

Hope this helps.

Edit.. It's worth noting that on previous versions of Linux mint these level 5 security updates were not shown by default, so unless you went looking for them you would simply have been unaware of their existence and hence not installing them in Mint 17 leaves you no less updated than you would be with default settings on Mint 16 and earlier.
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

RED looks very important, not very unimportant

Post by windyweather »

So why are they RED?? They look like I'm missing something important.
Recall that I have much less tech saavy friends that will be using this, as I'm sure other folks will all over the world.
So why RED for something unimportant? Why not blue or beige?
SkinnySeal

Post by SkinnySeal »

Red is the universal color for WARNINGS. All level 5 updates are essentially saying "Use at your own Risk" Levels 1 thru 3 are the defaults when doing updates.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: RED looks very important, not very unimportant

Post by Reorx »

windyweather wrote:So why are they RED??
Because they are (potentially) dangerous... could cause regressions and bork your system... Not unfixable but for the average user - not an easy fix. I think that (for me) there is only 1 reason that I would want to install a level 5 update - to solve a specific problem (i.e. "if it ain't borked, don't fix it").
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

Post by windyweather »

Reorx wrote:
windyweather wrote:So why are they RED??
Because they are (potentially) dangerous... could cause regressions and bork your system... Not unfixable but for the average user - not an easy fix. I think that (for me) there is only 1 reason that I would want to install a level 5 update - to solve a specific problem (i.e. "if it ain't borked, don't fix it").
Ok. Now that I understand the system, there is a bug. In preferences, at least on my system. SAFE and VISIBLE are both unchecked for level 4 and 5 updates, and yet these level 5 updates appear in the list. Doesn't VISIBLE mean do not show them in the list? What else could VISIBLE mean. So doesn't the update manager have a bug in that the preferences are not observed?
:roll:
As I install this for my friends, if this feature worked, then I could disappear level 4 and 5 updates for my friends to reduce confusion. I don't really need support calls about why these level 5 RED updates are not installing.
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

windyweather wrote: In preferences, at least on my system. SAFE and VISIBLE are both unchecked for level 4 and 5 updates, and yet these level 5 updates appear in the list. Doesn't VISIBLE mean do not show them in the list? What else could VISIBLE mean. So doesn't the update manager have a bug in that the preferences are not observed?
WinterTroubles wrote: They are security updates for the kernel and as such could potentially cause something to break which is why they are not installed by default, if you uncheck the box 'always show security updates' then they will not be shown
EDIT.. The 'always show security updates' option only applies to security updates that fall below the level setting for visible updates.

Return to “Beginner Questions”