'ro' in kernel boot parameters

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
codepilot
Level 1
Level 1

'ro' in kernel boot parameters

Post by codepilot » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:45 am

Hello folks,

just one simple question, what does this 'ro' means in the kernel-boot parameters at GRUB, e.g. in

/vmlinuz-2.6.24 root=/dev/hda2 ro quiet acpi=off

(maybe this line is not working, I just copied it somewhere from the net to explain what I mean).
Does it mean ReadOnly? And if so, is this the reason why i receive some "cannot write file - read-only filesystem" errors at boot-up when - I think some drivers - try to write something to the hard-drive?

Thanks!

~cp

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: 'ro' in kernel boot parameters

Post by Husse » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:12 pm

ro means read only
This will make the kernel mount the root filesystem readonly at boot so the filesystem can be checked before being mounted
This is not the reason you get errors but it is an error that I've seen reported a couple of times
There may be errors on the disk
Boot the live CD and unmount the hard disk and run fsck to check for errors
Like this

Code: Select all

fsck /dev/sda
Check man fsck for more info
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

codepilot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by codepilot » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:51 pm

Hello Husse,

Thanks for the info - I searched several places on the net, but didn't find anything about "ro". That it means "read-only" is obvious, I missed the "Why?!" ;).

Well, /dev/sda2, my root partition, is healty when checking it with fsck, but when trying to check /dev/sdb1, my problem hard-drive (related to http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=16940 thread) again kernel panics when running fsck from the live-cd on it. Now I try to run fsck on /dev/sdb1 with my IDE-driver settings, which causes no freezes at all.

~codepilot

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:21 am

Ouch - you do have problems
Is this stopping you or only a nuisance?
It obviously seems you have a problem, but which? (Sorry but I don't see an immediate solution)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

codepilot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by codepilot » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:55 am

Husse wrote: Is this stopping you or only a nuisance?
It obviously seems you have a problem, but which? (Sorry but I don't see an immediate solution)
Yes its "only" a nuisance.
Mint would be the perfect system for my use - but not with these rates on the old IDE drivers, slowing down the whole system. I'm thinking now of re-installing Debian lenny with the latest version. Debian works, and has not these problems with my hard drives. I know that the problem is in my hardware, but I don't want to replace my hardware now just for getting Mint running.

Maybe I get Mint running on my Notebook when I upgrade this from Wind0ws to Linux.

Regards,
~codepilot

Return to “Newbie Questions”