SOLVED: What does -y do?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DougWa
Level 2
Level 2

SOLVED: What does -y do?

Post by DougWa »

Haven't found answer via google yet... I see various suggestions for installing boot-repair, what's the difference between these:
sudo apt-get install boot-repair
or
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair
On a similar note, where can a noob find a list of common terminal commands? I've learned a few but am uneducated on how to move and replace a file, will "sudo mv source destination" overwrite a file for me?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wgn

Re: What does -y do?

Post by wgn »

-y means assume yes to all prompts, in this case. To find out what options for apt-get mean, type in a terminal

Code: Select all

man apt-get
Most terminal commands come with a man page

As for CLI cheat sheets, try this old thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... eet#p27794
DougWa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DougWa »

Yeow, THAT'S what I call SERVICE! Thanks for being smart, wgn!
And as for my "move and replace" question - a little typing, hit ENTER, and now I know that I can move and overwrite a file by "sudo mv (source) (destination).
I suppose I'd have to first take ownership away from root in some instances... or do sudo su first? Sheesh, it sucks being a noob! heh heh
Thanks again, wgn!
Last edited by DougWa on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

To learn more about using the command line, including things like copying and moving files, this is an excellent introduction: http://en.flossmanuals.net/command-line/. Free to read online, free to download as eBook or PDF, free to print, or you can support the project by buying the book printed.
DougWa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DougWa »

Good one, xenopeek... I really need to learn scripting, this'll be a big help. Thanks!
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: SOLVED: What does -y do?

Post by Flemur »

will "sudo mv source destination" overwrite a file for me?

Yes. But be careful with 'sudo'; you should be able to mv source destination on your own files without the 'sudo', which you should only use with good reasons because you can fry your OS with it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
DougWa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DougWa »

OMG Flemur what a nic pic you got! Yeow that's awesome!
You know what I want to do? I want to get a real-looking fake drivers license with a crazy picture like that on it.
(I swear I'd already have done it if it wasn't for this huge anti-terrorist atmosphere making it unwise for an American to order a fake ID)
Alley Oop

Post by Alley Oop »

Try Linux Tutorial http://www.linux-tutorial.info/modules. ... pageid=224

Sign up for a free Linux course which starts August 1 2014. Similar to taking the course at school. https://www.edx.org/

Return to “Beginner Questions”