Unable to install muon. How to solve this?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
fernandocabral
Level 2
Level 2

Unable to install muon. How to solve this?

Post by fernandocabral »

I am trying to install muon, but I get the following message:
Following packages have dependencies that can not be satisfied:
muon : depends on: libmuonprivate2 (= 2.2.0-0ubuntu3.1) mas has not been installed
E: It is impossible to fix the problem, you have hold broken packages.
(I have translated the message back from Portuguese into English so the wording might differ from those you are used to).

What can I do to figure out which one is the broken package?
Alley Oop
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unable to install muon. How to solve this?

Post by Alley Oop »

libmuonprivate2 is not installed with muon package for some reason, however it is in package manger if you want to try installing it first then installing muon.
Self-built
AMD Phenom 9850 Quad core 2.5 GHz
8 GB RAM DDR2 1600 MHz
Nvidia 450 1 GB
MB - ASUS M3N HT Deluxe
LG 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 (16:9)
LM 17 64 bit (Mate)
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

The error message is telling you that muon depends on libmuonprivate2 and that that the installer can't find libmuonprivate2. I don't know why because libmuonprivate2 is in the repos!... Try manually installing libmuonprivate2 from the repos >>>
LMP.png
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running mostly LM19C and a little LM20C.

Image Image Image
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

muon : depends on: libmuonprivate2 (= 2.2.0-0ubuntu3.1)
The '=' means an exact match is needed between muon and the library, any old libmuonprivate2 will not be good enough. If this is not automatically resolved it can be because the version of 'muon' is wrong for the repository you are connected to. The cure in that case is to reinstall the master application and give apt a chance at fetching the correct package versions, checking carefully that the reinstall doesn't try to remove the whole Desktop Environment in a misguided effort to resolve one problem...

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update  &&  sudo apt-get install --reinstall muon
...is usually safe.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".
fernandocabral
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fernandocabral »

Thank you all, guys. Almost by accident I found a reference to software-properties-kde, then I ran
sudo apt-get install software-properties-kde

After that, I tried installing muon again and it worked.

- fernando

Return to “Newbie Questions”