Mint and Linux definately not a replacement for XP

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Mint and Linux definately not a replacement for XP

Post by Spearmint2 »

check to see you have the latest update version. Here I show how I checked mine.

Code: Select all

mint16@mint16 ~ $ aptitude show mintupdate
Package: mintupdate                      
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 4.5.6-1
Priority: optional
Section: admin
Maintainer: Clement Lefebvre <root@linuxmint.com>
Architecture: all
Uncompressed Size: 775 k
Depends: python (>= 2.4), python (< 3), python-gtk2, python-glade2, synaptic,
         mint-common, mint-mirrors
Conflicts: mintupdate-gnome, mintupdate-kde, mintupdate-xfce
Replaces: mintupdate-gnome, mintupdate-kde, mintupdate-xfce
Description: Update Manager
 Helps installing security updates and new versions of packages.

mint16@mint16 ~ $ sudo apt-get install mintupdate
[sudo] password for mint16: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
mintupdate is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
mint16@mint16 ~ $ 
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
linux_bug
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linux_bug »

True as the fact.
Admittedly linux is no replacement for a Proprietory OS. As usually touted it is not an OS that simply plug & play. On the contrary it is community based, open source, volunteer assisted, bug ridden & lacks severly in support. Support is so slow that if you ask for it response may coincide with next version release. Technically there is no support, you are your own support.

Basically linux is 'unix', which has been equiped with graphical desktop recently and they don't have much experince with it. On the other hand if you want to work with command line you are welcome with plethora of programs. You will find them most useful, of coarse if you can use them.

Linux lacks severly in user interface. There is also limited support from manufacturers of devices, peripherals & other plug & play equipments. That means you won't find drivers of your devices or will have hell of time struggling with them. This is because linux requires source code release under “GPL”, which most of the device manufacturers deny. Acompanied with that, Most of the linux software (user end softwares) are buggy. Developers of linux like to use a different term “our software is evolving”! For example in early days most of the distributions used “Open Office” a user end software. It was buggy & unusable so they excluded it from their distributions. Now a new buggy 'office suite' they have found namely “LIBRE OFFICE”. This new buggy(sorry evolving!) office suite is now a default for most of the distributions and it is considered as direct relacement for “Microsoft Office”.
How good it is for a replacement? Consider this, I am currently typing this on “Libre Office Writer”, even if 'spelling grammer check' is on for 'english US' but it is inactive, even if I force a spell check by pressing 'F7' it displays a caption of “check complete” even if I have left deliberat mispelling. On the contrary “Microsoft Office” correctly & promtly intervenes & corrects all.

If you want to try linux, setup a dual boot system, one part for windows, other for linux. If you want to do work & I mean daily work then ditch anything 'Open source'. You will have to pay the price for certein.
After all that, I must quote that the distro you have chosen is the most working distro the world has currently. It comes with most compatible & complete drivers & collection of softwares that you can get going.

One last thing I must say there is no need to steer away from 'Windows XP' because of end of support if you have 'SP3' it is already complete & stable enough. You can go on without update for two or three years. Later you can upgrade to “win7” if you decide.

The linux scenario is not for everyday use but it is full of developer brats & works only for them. :evil:
niowluka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by niowluka »

:shock:
Mint 17 Openbox (MATE) 64bit | Linux 4.1.6 (Vanilla)

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H | AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz | G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 RipjawsX, F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | MSI R7 260X 2048 MB GDDR5 OC
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy »

Trolling? Naw, first post with name calling and opinions stated as facts is not a troll signature. Enjoy
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Linux_bug.

Here is the corrected version of your post, spelling corrected by Libre Office Writer 3.5.7.2. The only 2 words which I corrected manually, are "of course" and "Windows". So Libre Office does it spell checking job quite well. No idea what you did to prevent it from doing so.
True as the fact.
Admittedly Linux is no replacement for a proprietary OS. As usually touted it is not an OS that simply plug & play. On the contrary it is community based, open source, volunteer assisted, bug ridden & lacks severely in support. Support is so slow that if you ask for it response may coincide with next version release. Technically there is no support, you are your own support.

Basically Linux is 'Unix', which has been equipped with graphical desktop recently and they don't have much experience with it. On the other hand if you want to work with command line you are welcome with plethora of programs. You will find them most useful, of course if you can use them.

Linux lacks severely in user interface. There is also limited support from manufacturers of devices, peripherals & other plug & play equipments. That means you won't find drivers of your devices or will have hell of time struggling with them. This is because Linux requires source code release under “GPL”, which most of the device manufacturers deny. Accompanied with that, Most of the Linux software (user end softwares) are buggy. Developers of Linux like to use a different term “our software is evolving”! For example in early days most of the distributions used “Open Office” a user end software. It was buggy & unusable so they excluded it from their distributions. Now a new buggy 'office suite' they have found namely “LIBRE OFFICE”. This new buggy(sorry evolving!) office suite is now a default for most of the distributions and it is considered as direct replacement for “Microsoft Office”.
How good it is for a replacement? Consider this, I am currently typing this on “Libre Office Writer”, even if 'spelling grammar check' is on for 'English US' but it is inactive, even if I force a spell check by pressing 'F7' it displays a caption of “check complete” even if I have left deliberate misspelling. On the contrary “Microsoft Office” correctly & promptly intervenes & corrects all.

If you want to try Linux, setup a dual boot system, one part for Windows, other for Linux. If you want to do work & I mean daily work then ditch anything 'Open source'. You will have to pay the price for certain.
After all that, I must quote that the distro you have chosen is the most working distro the world has currently. It comes with most compatible & complete drivers & collection of softwares that you can get going.

One last thing I must say there is no need to steer away from 'Windows XP' because of end of support if you have 'SP3' it is already complete & stable enough. You can go on without update for two or three years. Later you can upgrade to “win7” if you decide.

The Linux scenario is not for everyday use but it is full of developer brats & works only for them.
From my point of view it is absolutely fascinating that community driven software products, Linux, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Libre Office etc pp, work as well as they do, out of the box. No-one is pretending there were no bugs. There are bugs. But no software, Linux based or Windows based, is bug-free. It is absolutely fascinating how many users of Linux distributions are prepared to share their knowledge and help other users. No-one has to be a developer himself in order to install and run Linux Mint, Ubuntu, OpenSuse etc. This is simply not true.
If you decide Linux is not for you, fine, your decision, everyone can use the operating system which he likes. Nothing wrong with that. Obviously there are quite a few users around who have a different point of view.
If you think Linux Mint and any open-source software cannot be used for daily office work, well, I do so, much to the amazement of my co-workers. Everything is impossible, till someone finally does it. And I don't imagine being the first one or the only one to use Linux Mint in the office for normal work.

Greetings,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

karlchen wrote:...Everything is impossible, till someone finally does it. And I don't imagine being the first one or the only one to use Linux Mint in the office for normal work.

Greetings,
Karl
I have been using Linux Mint and the only OS on my laptop at home and at the office since the Spring of 2011... I use Mint all day every day and it does everything I need it to do without any issues. At the office, I do mostly word processing and Open Office and Libre Office have served me well (and didn't require $, registration, or activation :lol: )!!!
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running mostly LM19C and a little LM20C.

Image Image Image
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

linux_bug wrote: Basically linux is 'unix', which has been equiped with graphical desktop recently and they don't have much experince with it.
Either you are stupid or trolling. No other choice here. Sorry.
linux_bug wrote:Linux lacks severly in user interface.
:shock: That's strange because I really think Linux as more feature than Windows when it comes to user interface. But since you have never used a Linux distribution you can't know this.
linux_bug wrote: For example in early days most of the distributions used “Open Office” a user end software. It was buggy & unusable so they excluded it from their distributions. Now a new buggy 'office suite' they have found namely “LIBRE OFFICE”. This new buggy(sorry evolving!) office suite is now a default for most of the distributions and it is considered as direct relacement for “Microsoft Office”.
And he don't even know the story behind OOo et Libre Office :lol:
linux_bug wrote:If you want to do work & I mean daily work then ditch anything 'Open source'. You will have to pay the price for certein.
I did all my PhD work (200 pages manuscript with graphics, pictures, schematics...) and my oral presentation using only Linux and free softwares... The power of LaTeX compared to Microsoft Word for example. By the way your spell checker is not working :lol:
linux_bug wrote: One last thing I must say there is no need to steer away from 'Windows XP' because of end of support if you have 'SP3' it is already complete & stable enough. You can go on without update for two or three years. Later you can upgrade to “win7” if you decide.
And the award for the most stupid Internet comment of the year 2014 is.... :lol:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
SandsOfArrakis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SandsOfArrakis »

linux_bug wrote:True as the fact.
Admittedly linux is no replacement for a Proprietory OS. As usually touted it is not an OS that simply plug & play. On the contrary it is community based, open source, volunteer assisted, bug ridden & lacks severly in support. Support is so slow that if you ask for it response may coincide with next version release. Technically there is no support, you are your own support.
Funny. If I needed support that I couldn't find on Google a quick question here or at LinuxQuestions.org got it answered very quickly. Not too shabby for a bunch of volunteers. And if I can I always return the favor if someone else asks for help. That's how it works :)
Basically linux is 'unix', which has been equiped with graphical desktop recently and they don't have much experince with it. On the other hand if you want to work with command line you are welcome with plethora of programs. You will find them most useful, of coarse if you can use them.
Granted, in the beginning I had trouble getting to grips with Linux. But that was many years ago, when you had to type commands in the terminal to mount and unmount a CD-ROM drive. The last several years I never had those kinds of problems. So I guess it's down to your definition of "recently". To me recently isn't something like at least 5 years.
Linux lacks severly in user interface. There is also limited support from manufacturers of devices, peripherals & other plug & play equipments. That means you won't find drivers of your devices or will have hell of time struggling with them. This is because linux requires source code release under “GPL”, which most of the device manufacturers deny. Acompanied with that, Most of the linux software (user end softwares) are buggy. Developers of linux like to use a different term “our software is evolving”! For example in early days most of the distributions used “Open Office” a user end software. It was buggy & unusable so they excluded it from their distributions. Now a new buggy 'office suite' they have found namely “LIBRE OFFICE”. This new buggy(sorry evolving!) office suite is now a default for most of the distributions and it is considered as direct relacement for “Microsoft Office”.
I'm not a software developer. I'm just the average Joe who earns his living by working in a warehouse. However even I know that no software is bugfree. Doesn't matter whether it is open source or commercially based.

When it comes to hardware support. I would support your claim if we were talking 10 years ago. I had big problems back then to get hardware to run. But nowadays that's no longer true. Sure there is some hardware I guess that doesn't work. But I dare say that 95% of current hardware is supported. For example my Terratec USB soundcard. It works straight out of the box. Not bad for a piece of hardware for which it's parent company is not known to provide hardware support for Linux, or extensive support for Windows in that matter. My dad has an old Terratec soundcard in his ancient studio PC for which only drivers were made for Windows XP. Yet it runs like a charm with the latest Mint. While I couldn't get it to run with Windows Vista or 7.
How good it is for a replacement? Consider this, I am currently typing this on “Libre Office Writer”, even if 'spelling grammer check' is on for 'english US' but it is inactive, even if I force a spell check by pressing 'F7' it displays a caption of “check complete” even if I have left deliberat mispelling. On the contrary “Microsoft Office” correctly & promtly intervenes & corrects all.
Looks like your spelling checker is borked. I'm from the Netherlands and my native language is Dutch. It spell checks correctly here.
If you want to try linux, setup a dual boot system, one part for windows, other for linux. If you want to do work & I mean daily work then ditch anything 'Open source'. You will have to pay the price for certein.
I only have 1 PC left here which runs Windows. And that's only because I like to play games. My laptop is 100% running happily on Linux.
That would only work if you don't connect it to the Internet.
The linux scenario is not for everyday use but it is full of developer brats & works only for them. :evil:
Sorry I just can't resist *laughs loudly and directly in your face*

As an average Joe who uses his laptop for everything except gaming, I can say from personal experience that you are so wrong.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Nothing like dropping a big stinkee and then running, eh? My neighbor's dog does that, lol. One day I'll get him with the water hose. ;)

in the beginning I had trouble getting to grips with Linux. But that was many years ago, when you had to type commands in the terminal to mount and unmount a CD-ROM drive.
I guess everyone's forgotten loading mscdex and it's settings into autoexec.bat and device file oakcdrom.sys into config.sys just to get the CD drive to run in windows 95 and for some it had to be done in windows 98? If you had two drives, the fun increased.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
SandsOfArrakis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SandsOfArrakis »

Spearmint2 wrote:
Nothing like dropping a big stinkee and then running, eh? My neighbor's dog does that, lol. One day I'll get him with the water hose. ;)

in the beginning I had trouble getting to grips with Linux. But that was many years ago, when you had to type commands in the terminal to mount and unmount a CD-ROM drive.
I guess everyone's forgotten loading mscdex and it's settings into autoexec.bat and device file oakcdrom.sys into config.sys just to get the CD drive to run in windows 95 and for some it had to be done in windows 98? If you had two drives, the fun increased.
Indeed I had forgotten that :O
scryan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scryan »

linux_bug wrote:The linux scenario is not for everyday use but it is full of developer brats & works only for them. :evil:
I think this IS part of what people miss/get wrong/ect....

Those "brats"... You mean the people who gave up their own time for free to write millions of lines of data so that you could better use your computer (for free?)

I feel like a part of this is that people sometimes loose sight of the fact that LINUX OWES YOU NOTHING. If anything, if anyone owes anyone.... You owe linux for even trying it.

Linux software was made (sort of) for the sole purpouse of giving you more options and flexibility. with out charging you for it, because the developers love you and want to improve your life.
How could you EVER, EVER be mad at that? Even if it doesn't work out for you?

Is linux "harder"? No, god damn everything I do here is easier then windows, lol... "harder" depends on who you ask.
BUT YES! LINUX IS MORE TECHNICAL!
Sorry, great strides have been made... Its not that hard... Computers are everywhere this is the world we are in, may as well learn them... ect...
But yes, Linux is more technical.
WHY?
Its not so much for stupid and lazy people. Please note I am not calling you (Whom ever "you" are... since I write this in general and not towards anyone) stupid...
I am just saying, if you think about who is out there spending their own personal time developing software for others to use for free you have:
-Good and generous hobbyist, who like the challenge of solving problems and the satisfaction of making it work.
-Guys who needed that utility themselves, and so they wrote it... And now that it exists they may as well offer it to whoever else needs it.
-Recognition is nice.
But all of those motivations don't really cover helping the person who doesn't really want help. The guy who doesn't want to know how to fish... Just cook me some salmon and bring it to me with a beer... Commercial software WANTS that guy MUCH more, because while he is not grateful he does have a check book.
In general, commercial software HAS to pander to uneducated users... If I just make a utility that works well and offer it to others... Well if you don't want to learn how to use it that is just fine.
Now obviously there are people in open software who want to help focus on development of usability or user-friendliness... But its much easier to offer open software and not worry about turning off a few users who don't want to meet the developer half way... After all, the people who developed this stuff have in many cases dedicated YEARS to the product for little or no compensation... They are not even asking you to meet them half way, in most cases just read a couple pages (compared to the thousands of pages of code they wrote to make it work)

If you think about it, in general people who complain about using linux are upset they are expected to learn how the system works by reading some documents. I can see where people who just want to use a computer to click icons and open programs are coming from... But just remember, while you think its too much work to read the document on that program you want... Some guy out there not only wrote that whole program, but that whole document too... and that sure was more work then your facing.
Nilla Wafer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nilla Wafer »

Oh, my!

If you really don't like Linux, you can get a full refund of the purchase price, no questions asked. I doubt you'll get such an offer from Microsoft or Apple.

Alot of very wonderful people invest alot of time and work to provide an OS that works for most of us plain ol' ordinary point-and-click computer users who just do school, e-mail, chat, music, and stuff like that. And I bet that most computer users are plain ol' ordinary point-and-click users like me, and for most of us who aren't major gamers, programmers, CAD wizards and coders, Linux (Mint) provides everything we require, up-to-date, safe, secure, and free of charge.

You won't get an offer like that either from Microsoft or Apple. But hey, if you want to be an arrogant snob, go ahead, demand a full refund and be on your way.

Trolls suck.

~nilla
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

We had a few old computers where I work, that still had XP that benefitted greatly from Linux. With XP they're performance had degraded to the point they really were not usable. All of them were used for light computing (Internet etc) so we found a Linux distro (antiX worked miracles with those old machines) that matched nicely with these old laptops and they now run pretty well, considering some have as little as 512mb of RAM and really old processors. I think it's pretty cool that a free OS could do this for us, and extend the practical life of these machines for zero money paid out.

I have to work with a lot of different computers and find that I most enjoy the Mint-17 experience. I realize this is subjective, but I really do not like working with Windows 8 and 8.1 machines. And Mint seems light-years more enjoyable than Windows 7. But that's just me, i guess.

I also appreciate the fact that for my personal (at home) computers I don't have to pay a dime for software anymore, and I've had a lot of fun discovering replacement software in the Mint world, so I could leave the Microsoft world. I was very surprised to find that I enjoy these programs more than I did the MS Windows based programs.

Regarding the support issue, I find I get answers much more easily here on this forum, than I do trying to get them from most of the Windows based companies (with a few notable exceptions).

We live in a time where folks want instant (and perfect) gratification. Many don't want to take the time to learn anything new. But for those who ARE willing to put forth a bit of effort to learn new things, the return on the time-investment can be huge. Who wants to stay in a Windows XP world? Apparently many still do. I prefer to persevere in learning this Mint, and the wonderful new Linux application programs and staying cutting-edge. But that's just me.
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20.1 XFCE Kernel: 5.8, Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27" - 1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4
linux_bug
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linux_bug »

niowluka wrote::shock:
Nice Face !!! :lol:
linux_bug
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linux_bug »

monkeyboy wrote:Trolling? Naw, first post with name calling and opinions stated as facts is not a troll signature. Enjoy
Trolls never reason. They just fart anywhere for no reason. Reasoning they don't like. they make there way by virtue of there crude tools.
PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles »

How apt.. the perfect link, me thinks :mrgreen:
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett
linux_bug
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linux_bug »

[quote="karlchen"]Hello, Linux_bug.

Here is the corrected version of your post, spelling corrected by Libre Office Writer 3.5.7.2. The only 2 words which I corrected manually, are "of course" and "Windows". So Libre Office does it spell checking job quite well. No idea what you did to prevent it from doing so.

I will tell you, what I did to prevent 'Libre' to auto correct. After recent release of 'Mint 17' I decided to upgrade to new 'LTS'. I formatted the hard disk & I was running my new 'Linux Mint17 64bit'. And while I was replying to this forum I thought why not to try 'Libre' only then I came to know that how buggy this software is hence I mentioned it as an example. :? :x :|

You may have an impression of me as of a '10'yrs old boy :roll: or some NTP (non technical person), like lawyer or something else. I am tinkering with Linux from 2000 or so, that time "Caldera" released their first working version of linux then(May be I don't remember that it was not their first release I got first CD of any other OS than 'windows'. It came with a magazine called 'developerIQ'). I have been trying linux since then. Waiting for it to become usable.
I am hopeful & looking forward. :arrow:
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Did you md5sum the download? I got a bad download first time around, and that from a nearby server, but was internet transmission fault, not server. I've had no problems with the Office spellchecker and even the Pluma text editor works good.
PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

define usable?
usable as in it works and it's stable and runs on most HPC (High Performance Computers) and High availability storage equipment or usable like other OS seem to be, teaching you how you should use it and asking you money to do so????

Still remember a presentation where performance was replaced with productivity /Guess who did this?
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

Return to “Newbie Questions”