Mint and Linux definately not a replacement for XP

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Mint and Linux definately not a replacement for XP

Post by DrHu »

• I actually wanted to just say to the original poster
OK, you know best!!!
  • --but instead gave an explanation of why Linux is just fine in most cases..
piquat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by piquat »

linux_bug wrote:I am tinkering with Linux from 2000 or so, that time "Caldera" released their first working version of linux then(May be I don't remember that it was not their first release I got first CD of any other OS than 'windows'. It came with a magazine called 'developerIQ'). I have been trying linux since then. Waiting for it to become usable.
I am hopeful & looking forward. :arrow:
Your experience is close to mine. I started messing with it around 2002(?). Like you, I felt that it was only marginally useful back then.

In the last few years, the last 3 or so really, it's gotten a LOT better. I have it on 2 of my machines and 2 of my parents machines. These are mostly internet and email machines, a little printing thrown in occasionally. Even now though, I can feel your pain. My parents laptop took quite a bit of reading to get the wireless working.

It STILL won't do everything. You'll NEVER program one of my flight controllers for my multirotors with linux. But things like that are pretty niche, so I accept it's shortcomings in some areas for the benefits it offers in others.
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Linux is an alternative to XP

Post by Habitual »

I use my alternative to Windows XP and I love it.

So? It doesn't do "everything" Windows does.
It also doesn't do Viruses, Infections, Spyware, Trojans, and Adware as well as Windows.

2 minutes into Linux Mint and you're trying to install from source?
Didn't see that train wreck coming.

It's a poor workman who blames his tools.
baldrick.777
Level 4
Level 4

Post by baldrick.777 »

Hmmm, it seems to me that the OP has been absorbed into the way of windows.

From my experience, these are the ones who find the transition to Linux most difficult. I understand their frustration. I started with Ubuntu 8.10, moved to openSuse then moved quickly back to Ubuntu and only lately settling on Mint. As a competant Windows user, I gave up on Linux several times because it was 'too hard'. Now? Well, we use only Mint on our Home Laptops, and as much as possible at work. My wife, who was used to Windows for several years, found Linux difficult initially but now wouldn't change a thing. Both of us are average users with no programming experience.

I would encourage the OP to take a step back, take a deep breath and look at this objectively...

Ask themselves:
[*]How long did it take me to not only learn Windows, but get used to it?
It would have taken a while for most of us to learn Microsoft's 'logical' way of doing things initially.

[*]Why should I expect that learning about Linux wont take as long? After all, it is a completely different OS.
For the most part, Linux will do most things that a Windows OS does - just differently. There is a certain amount of un-learning Windows in order to learn Linux.

To prove my point, take a new user of Linux who has either never used a Windows OS, or has seldomly used a Windows OS. When they are introduced to, say Linux Mint, they pick it up almost automatically. Why is this? Well, its my contention, that the logic behind Linux is the same logic we as humans have. For instance: I do this, I expect this to happen, and it does. Whereas with those ingrained with Microsoft's logic, the learning curve to Linux is steeper. They are used to Microsoft's illogical (I do this, but this happens) way of doing things.

To the OP, the longer you hang in with linux, the more open-minded you are to return to your logical roots, the more you will want to come back to Linux - because it just makes sense.
Sure, if you don't want to hang around, that's up to you. No one is forcing you to use Linux. It's about choice - yours.

Hope this helps.
All the best!
Newbies, check this out first...
Amateur Photographer - Landscapes mainly. Check my profile & gallery HERE.
Using only FOSS - Gimp AppImage | Darktable | Raw Therapee | Gimp | LuminanceHDR, and others.
SandsOfArrakis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SandsOfArrakis »

baldrick.777 wrote:Hmmm, it seems to me that the OP has been absorbed into the way of windows.

From my experience, these are the ones who find the transition to Linux most difficult. I understand their frustration. I started with Ubuntu 8.10, moved to openSuse then moved quickly back to Ubuntu and only lately settling on Mint. As a competant Windows user, I gave up on Linux several times because it was 'too hard'. Now? Well, we use only Mint on our Home Laptops, and as much as possible at work. My wife, who was used to Windows for several years, found Linux difficult initially but now wouldn't change a thing. Both of us are average users with no programming experience.

I would encourage the OP to take a step back, take a deep breath and look at this objectively...

Ask themselves:
[*]How long did it take me to not only learn Windows, but get used to it?
It would have taken a while for most of us to learn Microsoft's 'logical' way of doing things initially.

[*]Why should I expect that learning about Linux wont take as long? After all, it is a completely different OS.
For the most part, Linux will do most things that a Windows OS does - just differently. There is a certain amount of un-learning Windows in order to learn Linux.

To prove my point, take a new user of Linux who has either never used a Windows OS, or has seldomly used a Windows OS. When they are introduced to, say Linux Mint, they pick it up almost automatically. Why is this? Well, its my contention, that the logic behind Linux is the same logic we as humans have. For instance: I do this, I expect this to happen, and it does. Whereas with those ingrained with Microsoft's logic, the learning curve to Linux is steeper. They are used to Microsoft's illogical (I do this, but this happens) way of doing things.

To the OP, the longer you hang in with linux, the more open-minded you are to return to your logical roots, the more you will want to come back to Linux - because it just makes sense.
Sure, if you don't want to hang around, that's up to you. No one is forcing you to use Linux. It's about choice - yours.

Hope this helps.
All the best!
I agree with you. Until Windows 7 I could find my way easily around Windows. But Microsoft's latest offfering Windows 8 (and now 8.1) is a mess. Try to find the Control Panel. If I hadn't read up before upgrading at release (was only 30€ back then) I would have had a hard time finding it. (Rightclicking on the Start "Menu" button or Windows + X). And more of that stuff. Wireless network settings? It's hidden in a panel that by default is hidden as well. Way to go Microsoft.

My dad recently bought a new laptop which came with Windows 8.1. And he often calls me where to find certain things. He could find his way before in Windows 7 and earlier versions. He knows that I'm happily running Linux, and he is interested in trying it. But he is a bit comprehensive about having to learn a new OS again. I'll let him play with a Mint live DVD. Pretty sure that he'll find it much easier to use than his new Windows 8.1
baldrick.777
Level 4
Level 4

Post by baldrick.777 »

SandsOfArrakis wrote: I'll let him play with a Mint live DVD. Pretty sure that he'll find it much easier to use than his new Windows 8.1
I have found that most elderly people I have installed Linux for, in particular Mint, have taken to it like a duck to water. All have told me they are happy with it.

My elderly Mum regained some of her sanity after I installed Mint on to her Vista machine. She finds it a lot more user friendly and unobtrusive.
Newbies, check this out first...
Amateur Photographer - Landscapes mainly. Check my profile & gallery HERE.
Using only FOSS - Gimp AppImage | Darktable | Raw Therapee | Gimp | LuminanceHDR, and others.
rbrick49
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rbrick49 »

ask nicely and you shall receive
KhalVal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KhalVal »

To OP:

I know this thread's been going for a little while, but I read some stuff the other day that you might wanna know about. If you're planning on switching back to Windows, I would do so quickly. I saw that Windows 7 will stop being sold in Oct. If you don't want to learn a new OS (either Linux or Win 8.1), you'll wanna get 7. You pry won't be able to run Win 7 on a PC that was running XP. Most of the new PCs are coming with 8.1, but some are being sold with Win 7 and coming with an upgrade to 8.1. If you buy a PC with 8.1, their license doesn't let you downgrade to 7 without buying it separately unless you have the more expensive version. With Win 7, you can also download and run an XP emulator, which isn't available for Win 8.

I got a new PC with 8.1 and switched my old PC to Mint at the same time a few months ago. To me, it's been way easier to learn Mint than Win 8.1. It's rather difficult to find things on it since the file system is different, like I have 2 Programs folders. There's new jargon associated with it too, and their word choice is weird. It's difficult to fix or change things, because I don't have access to the settings or configuration. I also spent a week on MS's forums talking to their support people because I had a program that wouldn't run. It has all sorts of compatibility problems. I have not been able to install a single program without having some problem. (I've actually been able to successfully install more Windows software on my Mint PC than my Win PC)

Before giving up, I'd try reading a beginner's guide. (here's one http://www.tuxradar.com/linuxstarterpack) There's also lots of videos on youtube that will show you how to do things. Plus lots of websites, forum posts & free ebooks. And maybe in a month or two if you still don't like it, switch back to Windows while they're still selling 7.
NM5TF
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NM5TF »

has no one noticed ???

the OP is GONE BACK TO 'DOZE I guess.....but the thread just goes on & on... :lol:
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia, Arch Linux, openSUSE Tumbleweed Linux
Registered Linux User # 529389
my improved web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
SandsOfArrakis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SandsOfArrakis »

KhalVal wrote:To OP:
I got a new PC with 8.1 and switched my old PC to Mint at the same time a few months ago. To me, it's been way easier to learn Mint than Win 8.1. It's rather difficult to find things on it since the file system is different, like I have 2 Programs folders. There's new jargon associated with it too, and their word choice is weird. It's difficult to fix or change things, because I don't have access to the settings or configuration. I also spent a week on MS's forums talking to their support people because I had a program that wouldn't run. It has all sorts of compatibility problems. I have not been able to install a single program without having some problem. (I've actually been able to successfully install more Windows software on my Mint PC than my Win PC)
The 2 program folders you've mentioned is normal :) Was already there in Windows 7. If you're running the 64-bits version of Windows then 64-bits programs by default get installed in the Program Files folder. 32-bits programs go to Program Files (x86). x86 being another name for 32-bits.

Programs install fine here with Win 8.1 on my games PC and on this laptop when it was running Win 8.1 as well. It's now running Mint 17 only. But I completely agree with your assesment that finding things is very hard. I've been using all the Windows versions starting from 3.11 over the years. But 8 (and 8.1) are a nightmare. Until 7 everything was easy to find, but now it seems Microsoft believes Windows should look like an OS for a tablet. And that doesn't work very well on a laptop or PC. Even if it has a touchscreen.
NM5TF wrote:has no one noticed ???

the OP is GONE BACK TO 'DOZE I guess.....but the thread just goes on & on... :lol:
Well it does make for an interesting discussion, and it would appear that most people here agree with that even though Linux might have a few quirks, it's perfectly usable as a day to day productive OS for a home user. Microsoft seems to be taking the opposite route with their latest Windows release.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I've been somewhat surprised at the large number of people in windows based help forums in threads talking about what next after XP have openly said they were either already running a Linux distro, or very interested in moving to one.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Monflyer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Monflyer »

As the originator of this thread I posted that I was ducking out of the discussions some weeks ago, and have been amazed at how it has gone and on. I have only entered back into the discussion to correct the assertion that
the OP has gone back to DOZE
. No I haven't, :o and don't know where anyone got this idea from, but if its useful for folk out there to continue the discussions, then please carry on.

I had some very useful help and advice from the forum, particularly on such basics as using the synaptic to upload packages, and some useful links to help guides/ tutorials etc. Thanks very much guys. These have been much more helpful than the "Official" Users guide and have helped me solve many of the initial problems I have encountered.

Since the original post I have been persevering with Mint, and slowly gettng the hang of it. When I next come across something I can't crack, then I daresay I'll call on help frrom the forum again, but in the meatime. bye bye and thanks
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

Monflyer wrote:
Since the original post I have been persevering with Mint, and slowly gettng the hang of it. When I next come across something I can't crack, then I daresay I'll call on help frrom the forum again, but in the meatime. bye bye and thanks
1. That is great news, that you're persevering. I was wondering about you, and hoping you'd hang in there.
2. The time that you invest in learning Mint will pay some nice dividends over the years for you. It's worth the time investment, and climbing the learning curve.
3. Linux has come a long ways, IMHO, and now the learning curve isn't as steep as it once was. But it does still require some time and tenacity to climb the curve.

Thanks for coming back here and letting us know how you're coming. You made my day!
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20.1 XFCE Kernel: 5.8, Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27" - 1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4
Johnny333
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Johnny333 »

It will take a while. If I only had one pc I would just get anther hard drive. The dual boot is just not my thing. Just back up your documents, pictures, etc a lot at first. IT stall synaptic package manager. Between that and software center you can install 99% of what most people need. There are so many programs and Linux OS just write down the ones you like. I have been with Mint KDE about a week and just used the terminal once the upgrade button is missing in synaptic package manager so I had to do a sudo apt-get update & sudo apt-get upgrade. Any OS I have ever used I have messed up a lot at first starting with DOS and on up. I am old 70+ but when I was 8 years old I was helping my Dad work on the first IBM main frames they had tubes really didn't known what I was doing just did what he told me. Then when I went to work Was with typewriters the PCs andprinters,copiers office stuff. Didn't really get into the inter net but for work. The Netscape and WebCrawler came out then it was off to the races. Man my 386 and 1440 modem were fast. The Ubuntu based OS seem to me to be the best for me. You will probably try more than on Linux based OS before you find one the fits you best. But the hardware support is getting better for Linux every day. That is the worst part for me. But I have had any in 2 or 3 years that I didn't brake.
Keep at it you will like it. Johnny333 70++
PS think XP to Linux is bad. Try XP to Windows 8
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

Monflyer wrote:Since the original post I have been persevering with Mint, and slowly gettng the hang of it.
Good Job, and Well Done.
It's just a new set of "tools". New tools hurt less often the more we use them. :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”