want to upgrade to 17 BUT...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wiab4355

want to upgrade to 17 BUT...

Post by wiab4355 »

I've got a notebook dualbooting W8.1 and LM16. I installed Zorin, just to try it out, but it took over the bootloader (or something - I'm no techie) and when I deleted the partition it was on, the bootloader went as well and I couldn't boot into anything. Somebody on a forum suggested boot-repair and all went back to normal (I think, touch wood). Now I want to upgrade to Qiana but I don't want to make the same mistake and have to use boot-repair again (it wasn't exactly painless).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Re: want to upgrade to 17 BUT...

Post by Mark Phelps »

Word of caution -- if you try to replace an existing Linux version with Mint 17, the option in the installer to do that will end up erasing your ENTIRE drive! This is a known problem that is documented in the LM 17 release notes, which unfortunately, very few folks bother to take the time to read.

Instead, the safer approach is to delete any existing Linux distro and use the Something Else option of the installer to do a clean install of LM 17.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

If you need to boot 16 to get the data off, install Mint 17 in the unallocated space that was crated when you removed the partition that Zorin was on. The option in the installer is to install mint alongside (or side-by-side with) the other OSs on the disk...

IF you don't need to boot 16 as you already have the data, AND you want to replace 16, THEN remove the partition (with Gparted) that 16 is on. Then start the installer... If you only have one contiguous unallocated space, when you do the install, do the alongside option (assuming you don't want to do your own partition scheme)... if you want a custom partition scheme, choose something else and create your own partitions...

During the installation process, the installer will scan the disk for OSs and put them all in the Grub menu (like they were before you wiped out Grub)... :mrgreen:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
wiab4355

Post by wiab4355 »

Mark - thanks for the warning

Reorx - is the sequence 1. boot off the usb live 2. use gparted to delete the lm16 partition 3. use the installer

and I should still be able to get into windows after?
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Yes, during the installation the install routine detects other OSs on the HD and configures the grub menu correctly. The new installation will be first on the menu. BE SURE to choose alongside or side-by-side with the other OSs when asked. Since Mint 16 will be gone before the installation, the installer should not ask if you want to replace Mint 16... if it does DO NOT choose replace anything - Mint or otherwise.

P.S.: I always recommend backing up your data before manipulating partitions... FYI...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
wiab4355

Post by wiab4355 »

Thanks to all - installation went swimmingly and enjoying cinnamon for the first time
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

wiab4355 wrote:Thanks to all - installation went swimmingly and enjoying cinnamon for the first time
Congratulations - I'm glad all is well...

Something a bit unique with Cinnamon is "spices"... applets, themes, desklets, & extensions... They can be found in System Settings but you can also visit the Cinnamon website here > http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/ for quick overview...

Good luck and, as always, enjoy the Mint! :mrgreen:

Image Image Image

Return to “Beginner Questions”