Can I run a video player inside a console session?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Punchy71
Level 3
Level 3

Can I run a video player inside a console session?

Post by Punchy71 »

Greetings,
Can Adobe Flash Player, VLC or some other video player be run inside a Terminal/Shell/Console session and if so, how is it done?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lingula

Post by Lingula »

Are you simply trying to start the program using the command line? (easy, type the command to launch the player followed by space and ampersand so you can keep working from the command line without having to close the player first)

If you're trying to view videos inside the terminal window, I think you're out of luck.
PatH57

Re: Can I run a video player inside a console session?

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

could you please be a little bit more precise?
There are ways to play videos in a console but also maythings to configure to get it working.
Take alook at the provided link and let me know if you feel confortable with going to command lines and enabling codecs.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1647927
Punchy71
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Punchy71 »

I'm not comfortable working with the command line just yet. I am considering migrating all my normal GUI tasks that I normally use in the GUI over into the text-only environment of Console/Terminal. One of the uses I have on my computer is watching streaming video's from the internet, so I was wanting to see if it was possible to move that over into the text environment also. It looks like it is possible according to the provided link, however it sounds like it requires a lot of manual configuration to get it working.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

and that's only for a local video file.
I wouldn't even know how to run a steam from a web browser jsut in a console (not saying it is impossible) but the scypting invloves would put my off.
Run a light version of linux like xfce, it doesn't put to much stress on your system and compares to winxp for usability.
Hope it helps

Return to “Beginner Questions”