Bad video quality

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Tar_Ni
Level 1
Level 1

Bad video quality

Post by Tar_Ni »

Hello,

I have a problem on Linux Mint (as well as Ubuntu) which is that streaming videos are unwatchable. With the open-source (xserver-xorg-video-ati) driver it's really slow and the video doesn't quite follow the sound and I just can't watch videos of that quality.

So I installed the proprietary AMD driver, (fglx-updates) and while it did improve the quality, the video are still suffering, especially on faster scene where horizontal lines appear.

Note that I just can't watch any video in full screen or High Definition regardless of the driver in use, the lags and waivy lines are way too painful.

I don't have that problem on Windows, which I had installed on this computer just last week.

PC specs:

Asus motherboard
AMD Radeon Graphics HD 6920
AMD C-60 1.00Ghz processor
4 GB RAM DDR3
HDD 320 gig

Linux Mint Cinnamon 17 LTS

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Bad video quality

Post by DrHu »

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/26999 ... eo-tearing
http://youtu.be/agSnWPd2ZfQ

Some people posting on the internet claim that the problem is XServer intermediary between application (responses), and if XServer was gone, that the application response/no or little tearing would result
--the difference between Windows and also Apple OSX and graphics drivers is that the OS directly supports the GUI look/style and operations..
  • And of course they get results from graphics card manufacturers
    --which Linux and OSS have no access to..
They are saying Wayland and better compositing would help
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Wayland

You may be able to adjust XServer optins to improve operations..
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=129934
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aiglx
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AIGLX#Composite
--there is possibly an OPENGL driver that could also help

Video players such as VLC or Mplayer could stream locally and provide a clean video show, I would think..
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=942339

And for alternate OS fans, it is not always just works process
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=60736
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/115-htpc- ... aring.html
Last edited by DrHu on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

''I don't have that problem on Windows, which I had installed on this computer just last week.''
Use Windows then :roll: .
EDIT I am not being facetious; you have a modern kernel, a proprietary driver, loads of RAM, a modern processor, two Linux distributions are unsatisfactory, and Windows works better.
Last edited by Mute Ant on Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Tar_Ni
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tar_Ni »

Thanks DrHu but I don't seem to find a solution in the links you provided. I am a Linux ''newbie'' so I am looking for a clear step-by-step solution to adress this problem. I am not accustomed to the technical side of Linux.
Mute Ant wrote:''I don't have that problem on Windows, which I had installed on this computer just last week.''
Use Windows then :roll: .
Your reply is not very helpful. I mentionned that I did not have this problem on Windows, which came pre-installed on this laptop, to point out that this is not hardware malfunctions/defects and so the issue is clearly Linux-related. It happened also on Ubuntu 14.04 which brought me to try Linux Mint Cinnamon but same thing again.

Going back to Windows would be as a last resort, if I can't get things to work properly. I don't want to go there but I purchased this laptop for the main purpose of watching online videos. Linux is great I had it on my older desktop computer (Xubuntu and later on Mint XFCE) and worked flawlessly. I never faced this kind of issue before.

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

Hi ,

well as a starte please prodie us the correct information of your unit? It's name and google will give us the information or in linux
open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
then with the mouse highlight the results, right click and choose copy.
Paste the results in your answer.

Patrick
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

Tar_Ni
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tar_Ni »

Hi Patrick,

Here's what it says:

System: Host: sam-K53U Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: K53U version: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends version: 221 date: 03/12/2012
CPU: Dual core AMD C-60 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 3991.54
Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 6290] bus-ID: 00:01.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: ati,fglrx (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6290 Graphics GLX Version: 4.3.12798 - CPC 13.35.1005 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Wrestler HDMI Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network: Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k bus-ID: 04:00.0
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (1.5% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST9320325AS size: 320.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 290G used: 4.6G (2%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 3.87GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 147 Uptime: 3:57 Memory: 782.6/3555.6MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

Thanks

I also noticed that you said streaming videos ?

1) What are you using to watch these streaming videos?
2) are local videos working ok ?
3) Did you try VLC?

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

Tar_Ni
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tar_Ni »

I am watching streaming videos online in such websites as Youtube, Dailymotion, MovPod, GorillaVid, CloudZilla ect. As I said above, never had any problem watching videos on these websites.

I've tried the latest pepperflash of Google Chrome but it didn't help, so it doesn't seem to be the older 11.2 flash player plugin itself.

Strangely video are fine in VLC Media Player, I've tried a DVD and it plays correctly, the graphics are decent.

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

strange but let's just try one thing to exclude the obvious.

reboot into a live session (your installation dvd or usb) and go to one of the sites to see if it works.

Tar_Ni
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tar_Ni »

Tried to watch videos in live boot but pretty much the same. Full screen is useless, the quality is too bad due to choppiness and lags.

The drivers (both open source and propietary) just don't seem to offer decent performance with my graphic card on Linux. I am really at a loss as to what to do. Would I have more luck in say a completely different distro such as Fedora?

Thanks.

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

nobody can answer this you have to try it.
A PC is a complex system ,yours seems to do ok with local videos but crap with streaming...it takes a bit of time to get all the settings right.
Also are all the codecs ok and installed? (guess it is but you may want to try different video files, not DVDs the encoding on them is standard and meant to work on all appliances...) Video files however can be different depending on the method used to create or reencode them.
Did you try a fresh install of chromium?

byebyems
Level 1
Level 1

Post by byebyems »

Hi,

I'm a noob myself, so take anything I say with a pinch of salt.
But I too have an AMD graphics card (5670) and I switched to fglrx but still found the video to be choppy, especially HD.
As suggested earlier in this thread, it did seem to me, to be to do with the compositor.
I'm on Linux Mint 17 Xfce, and for me the solution was to switch off the built in compositor, and install and use Compton instead:
http://duncanlock.net/blog/2013/06/07/h ... g-in-xfce/
I'm now happy with the video on my machine, but maybe this only applies to Xfce and won't help you.

Cheers

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

this workaround does help videos but it also disables other features that are used by the xwindow (you might later on get other kind of problems)
Again as I said linux is an open box, you have to put some work in it to get it working the way you like it. What works for one doesn't always work for others.
But you seem to be on the right track, you have to test things and feedback to share your experience, it's a community and doesn't compare to more commercial OS :wink:

Return to “Newbie Questions”