Sound Settings Glitch

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bsbray

Sound Settings Glitch

Post by bsbray »

I looked for a bug forum and couldn't find one. Sorry if I just have terrible vision and missed it. :(

Anyway I installed Linux Mint today. Just came fresh from windows. All I can say is -- nice. I partitioned only 20 gb, no swap, just to try it out. I love it. I'm going to have to partition more space for it. It runs faster and smoother and even if I lock something up from working it too hard, the other programs running seem unaffected.

My headphones work fine, but the speakers aren't outputting anything for some reason. I'll look at that more tomorrow. But I did notice what seems like a glitch. I don't like the noise when I'm moving my volume bar, so I went into settings to disable it. I unchecked the box for that sound, and then I closed the settings and tested it, and it still makes the sound when I adjust the volume. So just to play with it, I changed it to a different sound, and then disabled it again. Still the original sound plays. I'll probably end up making a blank wav file and just telling it to play that, so I won't have to hear anything. But still, this should be unnecessary. Am I the only one experiencing this or is it happening to you guys too?

I'm running the latest release of Linux Mint, 64 bit. Thanks guys.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Sound Settings Glitch

Post by xenopeek »

Please add which edition of Linux Mint 17 you installed (e.g., Cinnamon, KDE, MATE or Xfce)
bsbray

Post by bsbray »

It's Cinnamon.
Jenia

Post by Jenia »

I can confirm that disabling volume-change sound in Sound Settings under the Sound Effects tab does not actually diable it.

Same version - Mint 17 64bit Cinnamon.
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

I'm running LM 17 64 bit, Cinnamon, and I can disable the alert in the sound settings.

It seems odd that even if you change the sound file the original plays instead. Almost as though something else is controlling it (although I have no idea what.)

Just for clarity's sake: I am going into Menu | System Settings | Sound | Sound Effects tab, then disabling "Changing the Sound Volume." I also enabled the Volume Change effect, then disabled all alerts and the top of the Sound Effects tab eg: Set the alert volume to 0 then turned it off as well. This had the same effect and stopped all my sound effects (but not the regular sound, just the effects ... most of which I find annoying.)

Sorry that I can't offer any suggestions. This worked for me out of the box.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

After taking the tick out of the box next to "Changing the sound volume" you have to reset Cinnamon.
In the Applets section you can "Get more online" and get "Restart Cinnamon" - there are 2 of these but I use the one provided by bimsebasse which fits into my decor best. Once installed on your panel you click on it and cinnamon is reset.
Alternatively you can press Alt+F2 and when the command screen appears type "r" (without the quotes) which will reset cinnamon.
On some keyboard you might have to press Alt+Fn+F2.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
yarosla

Post by yarosla »

Running LM 17 64 bit, Cinnamon.

I have different glitch with sound settings - with Alert volume.

Menu | System Settings | Sound | Sound Effects tab - then I reduce Alert volume by half. It seems to work fine right after the change but keeps resetting to full volume after some period of time. So I have to open and adjust this setting several times a day.

Return to “Beginner Questions”