Hard Drive not recognized

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Hard Drive not recognized

Post by Spearmint2 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:24 pm

no second drive seen. I do see a media reader you have installed for flash cards I guess? All that's mounted through fstab on boot is the boot partition, and encrypted root and encrypted swap file. Have you checked to be sure there are still two drives connected to this computer? Maybe someone took one? Or the data cable is off it?
Last edited by Spearmint2 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Polar Bear
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Polar Bear » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:26 pm

It's an internal hard drive

Polar Bear
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Polar Bear » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:33 pm

thanks for all the help... I need to get back to work... i'll post the output you need WharfRat when I can sneak back to my PC... MANY THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:08 am

so far everything points to a hardware issue. So double check your connections to the motherboard and put your hand on the drive, you should feel it spinning.
All the commands you returned indicate that the drive is not seen at all.
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:04 am

Also check to see if it shows in the BIOS setup.
ImageImage

Polar Bear
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Polar Bear » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:54 pm

I knew if I talked with someone about the HDD problems, it would be solved. When I came home for lunch i powered the PC down... I think the Linux Mint fairy stopped by this afternoon and took the bad mojo off my computer. When i powered up tonight i entered the passphrase for the drive and logged into Linux and the HHD made it's Grand Entrance. I have been dealing with electronics for 40 years and I still can't figure out psychotic behavior.

I want to thank all that have helped... It is appreciated more than I can say... Your knowledge is well respected.
Thank you all

Return to “Newbie Questions”