what is selinux and how can i remove it?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
yigit
Level 1
Level 1

what is selinux and how can i remove it?

Post by yigit »

hello folks..

i am a newbie linux user and i will install linux mint 17 cinnamon next week... now i am having a "test drive" on virtualbox...
recently, when i was googling about linux tutorial etc, i have seen something called SElinux and i have kearnt that it is developed by NSA....

does linux mint 17 have SElinux on its kernel, is it installed efault or enabled ? i dont want something developed by nsa because i am moving to linux because it is said linux is the most secure os....

is it possible to uninstall or disable Selinux permanently? thanks for your help...
Linux Mint 17.1 KDE 32 Bit / KDE 4.14.2 / Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: what is selinux and how can i remove it?

Post by WharfRat »

selinux is security linux, basically role based access (rbac) control. If you're new to linux I wouldn't recommend installing it as it is sometimes a PITA to configure and maintain.

If you want to familiarize yourself with it, install Fedora in a vb to test drive it. It has selinux enabled.

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

SELinux is not enabled by default, it's more intended for servers than for home systems. Learn what it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_Linux

yigit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yigit »

thank you for your fast replies...

i have just googled a little more found this page:

http://rahullinuxtricks.blogspot.com.tr ... linux.html

that tutorial really helped a lot...

the results of commands getenforce and sestatus on my mint are always "disabled"

thank you and have a nice day
Linux Mint 17.1 KDE 32 Bit / KDE 4.14.2 / Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic

Return to “Newbie Questions”