the latest version of nvidia driver..how sould i install it?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
yigit
Level 1
Level 1

the latest version of nvidia driver..how sould i install it?

Post by yigit »

hello it is me again :D

what is the lates nvidia driver on "driver manager"? i mean if i want to install nvidia driver using driver manager, what will be the version of installed driver?
will it be outdated?

the latest nvidia driver for linux is 340.24 on nvidia driver page... should i install driver using driver manager or download from nvidia page install manually? this tutorial seems quite easy (i will try to do it step by step carefully) and they say it works % 100....

what are your thoughts?

thanks in advance for your help
Linux Mint 17.1 KDE 32 Bit / KDE 4.14.2 / Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Re: the latest version of nvidia driver..how sould i install

Post by Mute Ant »

''hello it is me again :D '' [clatter of chairs overturning and developers running for cover]
''will it be outdated?'' Yes. Old. Secret. Closed source.
''should i install driver using driver manager'' Yes, you want something that Mint have tested too. That means you can do a recovery-boot and revert the change under GUI control if/when it doesn't work on your hardware.
''download from nvidia page install manually'' Maybe. If you have to, or want to. Accept you may need to reinstall Mint if it goes pear-shaped though.
''they say it works %100'' :lol:
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

yigit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yigit »

thank you very much for your reply... you have explained very well....

and developers can calm down.... it is all clear :wink:
Linux Mint 17.1 KDE 32 Bit / KDE 4.14.2 / Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic

Johnny333
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Johnny333 »

Better to just try one of the 3 drivers that you can get from the System Setting. It is easier and will work fine. I like like AMD and use AMD have install the latest version sometime didn't work any better and sometimes messed it up more. On my other PC windows 7 I installed the latest drive and wished I hadn't. I tend to leave everything stock unless it issomething I don't like or am having a problems. I just switched to Mint from Ununtu Unity just messed up my Firefox Bookmarks to much. So I have only been using Mint about a month so I am still learning. I like most things well(no such thing as a perfect OS) .
Good Luck Johnny333 70++ and still moving

Return to “Newbie Questions”