{SOLVED} Installed an app to show Windows

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

{SOLVED} Installed an app to show Windows

Post by WesternSlope »

I installed an app to show the Windows drive of my setup. Something went wrong and it's only showing the System Reserve of the windows. I have used this for a couple of years now with no problem, but only with one drive. I have two drives and it doesn't work and it here's the script:
Auto Mount Windows NTFS Partition(s):

sudo apt-get install ntfs-config
sudo mkdir -p /etc/hal/fdi/policy

Now, launch ntfs-config from Menu. Click Advanced Configuration and check the partitions you want to auto-mount at start-up. This is useful if you have a second hard drive installed and you want it to auto-mount each time you restart your system.

I used sudo apt-get remove ntfs-config to uninstall the app. I can't get rid of the System Reserve drive icon to stop showing. I renamed the policy in /etc/hal/fdi/TESTpolicy. That didn't work. How do I get rid of the icon please?
Thanks
Last edited by WesternSlope on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Installed an app to show Windows

Post by Spearmint2 »

Unmount the system reserve and it's icon should disappear from the desktop, if that's what you are referring to. What version of Mint are you using?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WesternSlope »

I can do it that way, but when I restart, it shows again. Not that big of a deal, but I was hoping that I could completely get rid of the icon. It works great with one drive, but not, so with two. Mint 17 by the way.
Thanks
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

check the /etc/fstab file and remove any mention of it. Also you could add the UUID of windows drive partitions you want mounted at the time.

cat /etc/fstab
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WesternSlope »

Kinda brain dead here with the UUID stuff. I have this icon on my other system showing the Windows side on the desktop, one drive and both OSs.
bricon
bricon
bricon.png (13.16 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
The other as said. It has both OSs on two drives. You say I can change somewhere, or sometihng with the UUID that I would be able to see the Windows drive on the Mint's desktop? How can I do that? That is what I was trying for.
Here is the fstab:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

#Entry for /dev/sdb1 :
UUID=0bf266aa-ce64-4e1f-8ed2-3507b81ec112 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
#Entry for /dev/sdb3 :
UUID=1e340ed8-10cb-4071-99c9-7ef2dc98c063 /home ext4 defaults 0 2
#Entry for /dev/sda1 :
UUID=821A72251A7215FF /media/System_Reserved ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=0222 0 0

#Entry for /dev/sdb2 :
UUID=4781a295-35d1-4832-91c2-6a9741d768e0 none swap sw 0 0

Is the red what I want to get rid of and before I start?
Will this make a backup of my fstab?
sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.backup

What do I change? I just want the main windows drive/partition to show.

Thanks
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

See those # characters? hash tag they call them sometimes, in linux called comment tags, but if you put one in front of a line in the file, then whatever follows is ignored by the system. You need to put one in front of that line you made red and then save the file. To do this, open your file manager, go to /etc/fstab and right clk on the file and choose to open in administrator mode. Do it and then save it.
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WesternSlope »

That did it, but now up in the left corner it shows. I think it's here with
sudo mkdir -p /etc/hal/fdi/policy
How do I get rid of the directory it's reading?
donknow
donknow
mess.png (9.38 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
And thank you for the help. :D
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

upper left corner of desktop? You can use the command rmdir to get rid of empty directories. You could just launch your file manager as superuser and go to it and remove it.

Code: Select all

sudo caja; sudo nemo; 
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WesternSlope »

Yes on the location. Is there anything else that uses /etc/hal/fdi/policy? The fdi part of hal.
Thanks
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

WesternSlope wrote:Yes on the location. Is there anything else that uses /etc/hal/fdi/policy? The fdi part of hal.
Thanks
I don't even see any /hal and below on MATE 17 at all.
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WesternSlope »

I guess I don't know what you are talking about with Mate. I'm running Cinnamon 17. So if I delete hal, it would be ok, or just /fdi/policy.
Thanks
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

WesternSlope wrote:I guess I don't know what you are talking about with Mate. I'm running Cinnamon 17. So if I delete hal, it would be ok, or just /fdi/policy.
Thanks

How about this approach. Rename it to hal2 and then see if you have problems. If so, you can always change it back.
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WesternSlope »

Great idea there Captain. :)
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WesternSlope »

I just saw this in the terminal after I renamed it. Should I un-do it before I shutdown, or will it be ok?

drew@drew-A880GZ ~ $ sudo nemo;

(nemo:3896): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 94 was not found when attempting to remove it

(nemo:3896): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 95 was not found when attempting to remove it

(nemo:3896): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 96 was not found when attempting to remove it
drew@drew-A880GZ ~ $
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Damned if I know. I don't see why it should be a problem. Everything I find on it points at firefox causing it.

Or Nemo being buggy.

http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=252

https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/502

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=34142

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1284558
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WesternSlope »

Firefox is causing the terminal to echo that? Maybe I should wait and rename it back? What if I rename /fdi to /fdi-2 and leave hal alone.
Thanks again. :)
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

WesternSlope wrote:Firefox is causing the terminal to echo that? Maybe I should wait and rename it back? What if I rename /fdi to /fdi-2 and leave hal alone.
Thanks again. :)
This is only on the terminal? Heck, ignore it, I get those often at times.
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WesternSlope »

I just renamed /fdi to /fdi-2 and got the same error.
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WesternSlope »

Ok then we'll give it a try. I'll rename hal to hal-2 also. Be back in a sec I hope.
Thanks
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

WesternSlope wrote:Ok then we'll give it a try. I'll rename hal to hal-2 also. Be back in a sec I hope.
Thanks
Yeah, I just ignore those. I put caja in MATE into superuser mode, do what I wanted, then come back to see those and close terminal. Since what I wanted done happened and no other problems, I don't worry over it. I did find this.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... mxb8swH1yE

It seems to be pretty much a totally nothing error tossed.

Here's an argument over gvim and GTK "spamming" with error msgs.

http://xfce.10915.n7.nabble.com/Many-GT ... 43476.html

Return to “Newbie Questions”