(SOLVED) Running programs from desktop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
amasa
Level 1
Level 1

(SOLVED) Running programs from desktop

Post by amasa »

I have installed Aisleriot so that I can run Spider Solitaire. If I go to the menu and click on games I see the Aisleriot icon, and if I click on that the program runs. Alternatively, if I right-click on the icon I get options, one of which is "add to desktop". So I do that, and the icon appears on the desktop. However, if I then run the program from the desktop I get an error message

"Untrusted application launcher
The desktop file "sol.desktop" is in an insecure locaion ...
..."
and then option boxes - Launch Anyway, Mark Executable, Cancel

Why does this happen? If mint gives me the option to transfer execution from the menu to the desktop why does it then tell me there are problems? These are not insurmountable problems of course as I can, and do, ignore the error message, but it is curious.

I get the same issue when I run other programs from the desktop.

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me.
Last edited by amasa on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Running programs from desktop

Post by Spearmint2 »

open file manager program, find the desktop folder, right clk, choose properties, then check it's permissions
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

amasa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amasa »

Permissions are read and write.

amasa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amasa »

However, going to the desktop and clicking on the icon, then checking properties/permissions, reveals a checkbox "Allow this file to run as a program". Checking that removes the error message.

But shouldn't this be a default?

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

why would you want a default to set something as executable? There are other reasons for having links on the desktop, like to a text file or even the hosts file so it could have any new additions added quickly.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

amasa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amasa »

Spearmint2

True. There are other reasons for having links on the desktop. I guess I was thinking that when you tell an executable in the menu to put a link on the desktop it would be reasonable for the desktop link to be an executable. But, maybe not ... maybe requiring this decision to be made on the desktop link is prudent - "to be sure to be sure".

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

Only you can make a new binary executable => All executable binaries have been approved by you.
...works like...
Only you can permanently delete files => Our software didn't delete your database.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

amasa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amasa »

OK
I think I see it now. Thanks for the help everyone. I think I'll now sign this off as <SOLVED>

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Re: (SOLVED) Running programs from desktop

Post by PatH57 »

there is a big topic going on about security, in windows by default you could copy an executable to the desktop, with linux you have to do one more step then again less viruses on linux
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

amasa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amasa »

I hadn't thought of it in that way but I can see your point. Another illustration of what I said yesterday - "to be sure to be sure"

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

or better safe then sorry :wink:
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

Return to “Newbie Questions”