I am so very stuck Dx

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
snoopy1881
Level 1
Level 1

I am so very stuck Dx

Post by snoopy1881 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:41 pm

Hi, well, I'm fairly new to Linux and I'm still pretty confused about a lot of things. I have quite a few questions, but I guess I'll start from the top.

I was using the trial for Linux on my sisters laptop, and it wouldn't connect to the Wifi in our house. It had no problems at all connecting when on Windows, but it didn't seem to be registering that the wireless existed. At this point I did a bit of research, and saw one or two people say that the Wifi went right back to working when they actually installed Linux. So, just to make sure, I installed it, but it still wouldn't work. I did more research, and found a download that is apparently supposed to fix the problem. It downloaded just fine, but when I went to install it the file was a tar.gz. With more looking, I found this:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1525

I tried following the instructions provided as best I could, and either I didn't understand and/or follow them properly, or they weren't the correct insructions for my problem. I think I realized one of the problems, was that I wasn't using the programs that the article mentioned:

1. flex

2. bison or bison++

3. python

I had downloaded them, thinking they would pop up automatically, which, obviously didn't happen. It took some more rummaging around for anwers to finally find that out. Then I found plenty of other pages that said something about accesing the 'root', and giving commands from there. I thought I figured out how to do that, but I'm still not sure I got a complete grasp on that either.
Tried to keep it short, but I think that's about where I am at the moment. I've looked around plenty of places, and some of the threads on here trying to figure it out myself. And just when I think I've found it, the new solution ends up becoming the new problem. I've done hours of research, and I know that, technically, I have gotten somehwere; but it definitely doesn't feel like it. I even looked up dowloadable drivers for the laptop model, but they didn't have anything available for Linux. I also went through the Update Manager and the Terminal as well later, updating the programs hoping that might do something.
I feel like if I stood back for a moment and came back to it, I might figure it out on my own. But frankly, its really starting to get on my nerves, so I finally caved in. I'm not sure what about the laptop or anything else that you're going to need to know.

If somebody could help that would mean the world to me right now. Thank you in advance!
(I'm also not sure if this is the place I'm supposed to be posting this ask thread in, if where it is is a problem, then please tell me.)

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Re: I am so very stuck Dx

Post by Mute Ant » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:24 am

First, read this, especially number [5]. Technical help needs technical details...
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444
Sort your problems into the order you need them solving, or at least into the order in which they appear, and fix them one at a time.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Incurian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Incurian » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:50 pm

This got my wifi working instantly. If you can connect to the internet through an ethernet cable, do so. The open up a a console and type:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
Type in your password (it will not display your password, even *s), press enter, and it should download and install some stuff to make your wifi card work.
-Inc

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:54 am

rather than model of computer, find what chip is actually on it.

lsusb; lspci; 
paste into terminal and run, post results here.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

snoopy1881
Level 1
Level 1

Post by snoopy1881 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:05 pm

Incurian wrote:This got my wifi working instantly. If you can connect to the internet through an ethernet cable, do so. The open up a a console and type:

sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
Type in your password (it will not display your password, even *s), press enter, and it should download and install some stuff to make your wifi card work.
Alright, I started with this, and it did do something. I restarted the computer just in case after I ran it in the Terminal. After it started back up I went into the Networking and it finally recognized the Wireless. Only problem is, now it won't connect. There is a switch up in the top right corner that, apparently, is supposed to turn it on. But when I click on it, it automatically switches back off. It has two other options, 'Use as Hotspot', and 'Connect to Hidden Network'. I know the first one isn't what I'm looking for, and the second one doesn't seem to do anything when I select it.
Spearmint2 wrote:rather than model of computer, find what chip is actually on it.

lsusb; lspci; 
paste into terminal and run, post results here.
So I ran this code, and got this.

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0461:4d22 Primax Electronics, Ltd
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS480/RS482/RS485 Host Bridge (rev 10)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RC4xx/RS4xx PCI Bridge [int gfx]
00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] IXP SB4x0 USB Host Controller (rev 80)
00:13.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] IXP SB4x0 USB Host Controller (rev 80)
00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] IXP SB4x0 USB2 Host Controller (rev 80)
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] IXP SB4x0 SMBus Controller (rev 82)
00:14.1 IDE interface: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] IXP SB4x0 IDE Controller (rev 80)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] IXP SB4x0 PCI-ISA Bridge (rev 80)
00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] IXP SB4x0 PCI-PCI Bridge (rev 80)
00:14.5 Multimedia audio controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 80)
00:14.6 Modem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] IXP SB400 AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 80)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS480M [Mobility Radeon Xpress 200]
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
05:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
05:09.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515 Cardbus Controller

And I looked at the page you suggested Mute Ant, and one thing it said was to run 'inxi' through the terminal, and it gave me this.

CPU~Single core Mobile AMD Sempron 2800+ (-UP-) clocked at 800.000 Mhz Kernel~3.11.0-12-generic i686 Up~10 min Mem~273.9/1888.5MB HDD~160.0GB(2.9% used) Procs~136 Client~Shell inxi~1.8.4

Not sure if that's gonna help. I apologize for not being more informative of the technical details in the first post, I wasn't aware of what details you would need exactly. Sorry again.
And thank you for all you've done already.

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:41 pm

BCM4318 AirForce One

Best advice I've heard lately was in a recent thread. Open package manager, search on broadcom, and put in everything for them and hope you get the correct one.

Specifically it seems you need this one from package manager.

firmware installer for the b43 driver

This package downloads and installs the firmware needed by the b43
kernel driver for some Broadcom 43xx wireless network cards.

Supported chipsets:
* BCM4306/3;
* BCM4311;
* BCM4318;
* BCM4321;
* BCM4322 (only 14e4:432b);
* BCM4312 (with Low-Power a.k.a. LP-PHY).
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

snoopy1881
Level 1
Level 1

Post by snoopy1881 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:49 pm

Okay, I believe I downloaded all of the things that you mentioned, but it had the opposite effect for some reason. Instead of the wireless working, now its back to not showing it at all, just the wired network again.
I went back through everything a couple more times, to see if I missed one, but nothing seems to work. I'm assuming I must have done something wrong, but I'm not sure what it was that I did exactly.

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:59 pm

blacklist it then and go with one of the other broadcom driver files. It's a lot of trial and error with broadcom. Many just get an linux friendly USB device and plug it in and use that.

snoopy1881
Level 1
Level 1

Post by snoopy1881 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:47 pm

Thank you, so much for all of your help.

I was getting frustrated with all of this, so I decided that I would reinstall Linux on the laptop and start fresh, thinking maybe it was something I did wrong towards the beginning. So I did that, and I went through and did all the downloads and things that you told me to do, and it worked! I think part of it was, there is this button on the laptop that I had thought was on, and it wasn't. It seems really dumb that I didn't notice it, and especially now that I'm typing it down. I had thought that I was controlling it on screen, for some reason, but I wasn't.
That's embarrasing.

Well, either way, thank you for all of the help, again. Even if some of it turned out to be a really stupid mistake on my part.

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:15 pm

''a really stupid mistake on my part'' One day I will share my reinstall-Ubuntu-again-again to fix the sound ''problem'' when there was no cable to the speakers :oops: Anyone who says they haven't done something like that needs to keep a diary, to help them remember.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:00 pm

At times like that, my first reaction is to look at my cat and ask, "OK, what did you do to me now?" He's the reason I pulled my Power button and tossed it.

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Post by all41 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:11 pm

snoopy 1881,

Welcome to the wide world of sports.
Murphy was an optimist

octathlon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by octathlon » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:25 pm

I did the same thing on a Toshiba laptop I had, snoopy. It had a physical switch to turn the wifi on and off. One day it stopped working and I spent all kinds of time trying to figure out what was wrong before I realized I had turned the switch off! :oops: :lol:
Mint 19 Cinnamon 64bit on Dell Inspiron N7110 Dual core Intel Core i5-2450M
Mint 19 XFCE 64bit on System76 Pangolin Intel Core 2 duo
Full-time Linux user since 2007, Mint since 2014

piquat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by piquat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:12 pm

For those searching I'll add this solution I found while putting mint on my fathers old HP laptop:

It had the physical switch and linux won't pay any attention to it, common problem. Out of pure dumb luck, I rebooted into windows (XP) and enabled it with the switch. When I rebooted into Mint, IT STAYED ON and after that it was working.

Easy thing to try if you're stuck....

Return to “Newbie Questions”