[Solved] Wine problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
osomfinch
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Wine problem

Post by osomfinch »

Hi! I am running Linux Mint 17 Xfce. I installed Wine because I need it just for one small portable program. When I run it for the first time it asked me to install Mono and Gecko packages. Everything was perfect. Now I try to open this program and it takes 2 minutes to start it. I tried to reinstall Wine but the situation is the same. What should I do?
Thank you for your help!
Last edited by osomfinch on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Wine problem

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

what is the program you are trying to run?
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur »

for one small portable program.

A mysterious program!

When I run it for the first time it asked me to install Mono and Gecko packages.

So, did you install them or not? (Don't unless you need them. (they're for a browser, I think)).

Everything was perfect. Now I try to open this program and it takes 2 minutes to start it.

What happened between "perfect" and messed up?

I tried to reinstall Wine but the situation is the same. What should I do?

Perhaps you should do whatever you did to reach the "perfect" state you previously had...?

Anyway, delete your ~/.wine directory, "Create a New .wine Directory*", reinstall the program, don't install mono or gecko, and give more info when asking for help.
*http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=103
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

baldrick.777
Level 4
Level 4

Post by baldrick.777 »

It's not unusual for a Win app to take a while to run under Wine.

You have to remember that you are trying to run a foreign program that is written for a completely different OS that natively Linux does not understand. That's the job Wine does. It basically tricks the Win app into thinking it's being installed onto a Win machine, when it's not. This takes more resources, ram, cpu and hence time to complete. For many Win apps, Wine does a pretty good job, albeit eventually.

If you don't have a modern PC, the delay from when you launch the program until it actually launches can seem like ages!
I have a fairly modern PC, with which I have but one Win app installed. Unfortunately I haven't found one Linux alternative that comes close, so it stays. The only version of Wine that it works with is 1.4. It doesn't play at all nice with later versions. So, for me, the trade off is: I keep the Win app using v1.4 even though it takes ages to load; or, as I don't have Windows installed, I go without that app.

Ultimately, the best option really is to either find a comparable Linux version of the Win app you have, or dual-boot between Linux and Windows.
Newbies, check this out first...
Amateur Photographer - Landscapes mainly. Check my profile & gallery HERE.
Using only FOSS - Gimp AppImage | Darktable | Raw Therapee | Gimp | LuminanceHDR, and others.

0ddity
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 0ddity »

Right click on the program, and at the top it will probably say "open with mono runtime." That's what it's using when you double click it. Instead, right click, select properties, go to "open with" tab and select Wine then set as default. Close and then double click the program and it should behave as before.

osomfinch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by osomfinch »

I sorry. I really should have provided more information on the matter.
PatH57 wrote:what is the program you are trying to run?
It is called soapcalc.exe wich is a program which calculates the amount of essential oils and other ingridients you should use when making handmade soap.
When I installed wine for the first time and run this programm for the first time it downloaded Gecko and Mono and the program worked very well and it took her 5 seconds to start. The next day I tried to run the program and it took two minutes. I checked wine settings and there were no Mono or Gecko installed. That's why I tried to reinstall wine. I was hoping it would install Gecko and Mono once again and my program would run fast and smooth again. But after reinstalling it nothing happened.
Flemur wrote:What happened between "perfect" and messed up?
Nothing. That's the strange part.

osomfinch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by osomfinch »

Solved!
I downloaded the same program, the same version and it works! It seems the file I had before was broken somehow. So if any of you have such a problem and reinstalling wine and deleting the /.wine folder doesn't work, maybe try do download the program you are trying to run anew.
Sorry for taking your time.

Return to “Newbie Questions”