[SOLVED]Issue With Downloading Software With Software Manger

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hippieelmo
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]Issue With Downloading Software With Software Manger

Post by hippieelmo »

I'm using Mint 13 xfce 32 bit on a older laptop. I'm unable to upgrade as my laptop can't handle Mint 17....

I have been trying to download software using the software manager. When I try to download anything, I enter my password and click on the authenticate button and the box goes away and the install button goes away and it just says not installed and nothing happens.

How can I fix this?

Thanks for your help
Last edited by hippieelmo on Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClutchDisc
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Issue With Downloading Software With Software Manger

Post by ClutchDisc »

Mint 13 did that when I was still using it as well.. every time though, the software was installed. Are you sure it didn't install and it's not that it just says it didn't?
Custom build
CPU: Intel Core i5 2.70GHz quad core
RAM: 8GB DDR4
OS drive: 120GB SSD
Data drive: 2TB HDD

hippieelmo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hippieelmo »

ClutchDisc wrote:Mint 13 did that when I was still using it as well.. every time though, the software was installed. Are you sure it didn't install and it's not that it just says it didn't?
I double checked and no it download it.

I tried again and this time left the software manager runing for a few mins, and it still didn't download.

I know that it worked a few days ago because I downloaded a program and it worked just like normal...

Any ideas??

Thanks

ClutchDisc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ClutchDisc »

What program is it? Can you try installing it through the terminal and see if that will work? Also, have you tried restarting the computer since this started happening?
Custom build

hippieelmo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hippieelmo »

ClutchDisc wrote:What program is it? Can you try installing it through the terminal and see if that will work? Also, have you tried restarting the computer since this started happening?
I have tried to download many differnet programs and they all don't download. Not sure who to install via terminal program. How do you do it?

Sorry to ask dumb questions, but I'm new to the linux world.

Thanks for your help

ClutchDisc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ClutchDisc »

It's not a dumb question. What program would you like to install? What is the name as seen in the software manager? If I know that I can probably help!
Custom build

hippieelmo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hippieelmo »

ClutchDisc wrote:It's not a dumb question. What program would you like to install? What is the name as seen in the software manager? If I know that I can probably help!
Ok. I will get you the name in a few days. Was using the laptop today and the AC adapter fried, so I need to get a new one. :(

Haven't had good luck lately...

ClutchDisc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ClutchDisc »

Ok, I'll be here when you have it!
Custom build

BobLuck
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BobLuck »

I am not sure if it is O.K. to 'Me Too' -- Hope it is.....

But I know Software Manager was working before - Now NO!
When I click on Software Manager in System Menu - It asks for Password
When I enter Adminstrator's Password - it pops up and says 'Incorrect password'
So I enter 'Desktop user' password - it seems to be happy but goes away and Software Manager never comes up.

So I tried Applications > Administration > Software Manager - same results - it just goes away
also tried Applications > Administration > Software Sources - same results - it just goes away
When I tried Applications > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager it asks for Administrator Password to Authenicate and this WORKS,
I just downloaded and installed LibreOffice Base.

I am sure I used Software Manager when I first made this installation - Other then allowing updates as they showed up in taskbar I cannot think
what I could have done to cause this behavior?

Thanks, Charlie Noble

hippieelmo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hippieelmo »

ClutchDisc wrote:Ok, I'll be here when you have it!
I'm back with a new power supply and the laptop is working again :D

I was trying to download a program called photofilmstrip. I enter my password and the box goes away and then the software manager does nothing, I checked to see if it has downloaded the program but it hasn't.

Thanks for your help!

ClutchDisc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ClutchDisc »

Ok, open up the terminal and enter this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install photofilmstrip
and press enter. It should then ask for your password, then hit enter again, and then it should install. (you won't see any password as you type, this is normal) Let me know what happens!
Custom build

0ddity
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 0ddity »

If you want to see a terminal output to see what is happening when you run the package manager, type

sudo mintinstall
(or whatever your package manager is enter the password. That should tell you what's happening to the process.

hippieelmo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hippieelmo »

0ddity wrote:If you want to see a terminal output to see what is happening when you run the package manager, type

sudo mintinstall
(or whatever your package manager is enter the password. That should tell you what's happening to the process.
Ok. Here the output that I get:

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:254: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
def get_status_description(self, transaction):
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:262: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
def get_role_description(self, transaction):

Does this tell you anything?

hippieelmo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hippieelmo »

ClutchDisc wrote:Ok, open up the terminal and enter this:

sudo apt-get install photofilmstrip
and press enter. It should then ask for your password, then hit enter again, and then it should install. (you won't see any password as you type, this is normal) Let me know what happens!
I gave the above a try using the terminal program. It appears to hang when it trys to find http://packages.medibuntu.org

I tried going to the address within my browser and it to says problem loading page. Is this something on my end?

Thanks for your help

0ddity
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 0ddity »

hippieelmo wrote:
0ddity wrote:If you want to see a terminal output to see what is happening when you run the package manager, type

sudo mintinstall

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:254: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:262: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level

Maybe that it isn't installed, or if it is, it obviously isn't working. I can't find anything on that specific error. You can try installing the mintinstall package manager,

sudo apt-get install mintinstall
, and see what output you get (if it installs or it's already installed) and if it works after that.

hippieelmo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hippieelmo »

0ddity wrote:
hippieelmo wrote:

sudo mintinstall

Maybe that it isn't installed, or if it is, it obviously isn't working. I can't find anything on that specific error. You can try installing the mintinstall package manager,

sudo apt-get install mintinstall
, and see what output you get (if it installs or it's already installed) and if it works after that.
Tried the command and get the below:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
mintinstall is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
language-pack-kde-en language-pack-kde-en-base kde-l10n-engb
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 31 not upgraded.

Tried to install another program from the software manager and still the same thing.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I gave the above a try using the terminal program. It appears to hang when it trys to find http://packages.medibuntu.org
I tried going to the address within my browser and it to says problem loading page. Is this something on my end?
Yes, it is. For months now there's been notice that medibuntu is no more.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=147271

http://linuxmint.com/rel_maya.php

Remove the Medibuntu repository

At the time of release, Linux Mint 13 was designed to use the Medibuntu software repository. This repository was discontinued since and is no longer active.

You will therefore get warning and error messages complaining about it when installing software or updating packages.

To solve the issue simply remove the Medibuntu repositories by following these instructions: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2469

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2469
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

hippieelmo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hippieelmo »

Spearmint2 wrote:
Yes, it is. For months now there's been notice that medibuntu is no more.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=147271

http://linuxmint.com/rel_maya.php

Remove the Medibuntu repository

At the time of release, Linux Mint 13 was designed to use the Medibuntu software repository. This repository was discontinued since and is no longer active.

You will therefore get warning and error messages complaining about it when installing software or updating packages.

To solve the issue simply remove the Medibuntu repositories by following these instructions: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2469

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2469

Gave the above a try, and this fixed the issue with installing programs in the terminal program :D

I tried installing another program using the software manager, but run into the same issue. Anymore ideas??

Thanks for your help

hippieelmo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hippieelmo »

This might be a dumb question.

What command do I use if I want to uninstall a program that I installed using the terminal program? Since I can't get the software manager to work I have been just using the terminal instead.

Thanks

ClutchDisc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ClutchDisc »

sudo apt-get remove
Custom build