<SOLVED>Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, need help please

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
adonis69
Level 2
Level 2

<SOLVED>Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, need help please

Post by adonis69 »

Hello guys,

I just made a BIG mistake with my Linux computer and I would like your help.

Everything were working just fine, until the moment I decided to connect my laptop with tv using HDMI. There was no sound on tv from the HDMI and I was searching on the Internet to find a solution.

Unfortunately instead of come here in the forums, I found this website while I was surfing around and I thought it would help me to solve the HDMI output problem with my LinuxMint 17

http://itsfoss.com/fix-sound-ubuntu-1304-quick-tip

the first thing I did was to use terminal and then

sudo alsa force-reload

I reboot the computer, once I tried again, there was still no sound from HDMI.

Then I did this:

sudo apt-get remove --purge alsa-base pulseaudio
sudo apt-get install alsa-base pulseaudio
sudo alsa force-reload

After I reboot, then I only see the cursor and the computer cannot load the desktop after I login. I only see the cursor and a white-black screen and nothing esle.

It was my mistake to use that help from that site. I thought it would help me solve the HDMI problem but instead it screwed things up :(

Can you please help me to resolve the problem? Is there a way to make my computer working again? or I will need to format it and install LinuxMint again?

thank you very much
Last edited by adonis69 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
turtlebay777

Re: Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, need help please

Post by turtlebay777 »

Why do you keep re-booting the computer when you change the settings? Leave it running, you aren't using Windows now!

Where you see the flashing cursor, try typing startx. That should make the display work again.
adonis69
Level 2
Level 2

Post by adonis69 »

Is not working :(

When I said cursor, I meant the mouse arrow.

That happens when I turn on the computer, enter my login details and password and then nothing. I only see the mouse arrow but is not loading on the desktop.

I cannot see the desktop after I log in.

I tried let the computer there until it go to the desktop by itself but still nothing:(

Is there a way to resolve this issue
gael33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gael33 »

Hopefully you have saved everything that is important to you on an external drive?
The quickest and less irritating way to get your computer up and running again is to reinstall the OS.
Tip; I have installed a free program called "Timeshift" which takes snap-shots of your computer daily, weekly or monthly, the choice is yours. The program is like Norton Ghost for Linux.
We have all messed up at some time in our Linux journey so don't be too despondent, just learn from it and move on.
Timeshift is installed through the Terminal and is really easy to use ... it's a real time saver because I know ;)
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
Saor Alba.
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker »

What happens when you select "recovery mode" from the Grub menu?
Linux User #384279
glhallway
Level 1
Level 1

Post by glhallway »

Howdy

I had the same problem found out in system settings Mint 17 defaulted to SPDIF I just changed it to HDMI all works fine now. After you get it back running (reinstalled) if sound dont work try this. Menu-System Setings- sound- and select HDMI
PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

Code: Select all

"recovery mode"
it will try to bypass changes made at driver level and give you access to a simple desktop (better then nothing) and we can start troubleshooting from there.
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
niowluka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by niowluka »

adonis69 wrote: sudo apt-get remove --purge alsa-base pulseaudio
sudo apt-get install alsa-base pulseaudio
You probably removed some dependencies which would not be reinstalled automatically when you run the install command. Check your /var/log/apt/history.log what exactly Synaptic removed, and install it manually.
Mint 17 Openbox (MATE) 64bit | Linux 4.1.6 (Vanilla)

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H | AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz | G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 RipjawsX, F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | MSI R7 260X 2048 MB GDDR5 OC
ighbal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ighbal »

Hi guys,

I did exactly the same thing

linux mint 17
re-install pulseaudio

and I got exactly the same problem

black screen at reboot

in my case, my computer,, however is a 32bit old laptop.

FYI, i did this because the sound was choppy... while before, with linux mint 13, it was working great
ighbal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ighbal »

FYi information,

I just solved the problem by updating the linux kernel to 3.16 RC4 by using those simple guidelines.

:D :D :D :D :D

http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-kernel ... rivatives/
PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

you are now running an unstable kernel rc stands for release candidat , made for testing and reporting issues.
Very very dangerous.
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
adonis69
Level 2
Level 2

Post by adonis69 »

Problem solved,
I used Gparted to wipe out the hard drive and I reinstall Linux Mint again :D
stevenghines
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <SOLVED>Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, need help please

Post by stevenghines »

niowluka wrote:You probably removed some dependencies which would not be reinstalled automatically when you run the install command. Check your /var/log/apt/history.log what exactly Synaptic removed, and install it manually.
No need to reinstall Mint, niowluka's solution worked for me. Thank you!
niowluka
Level 5
Level 5

Re: <SOLVED>Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, need help please

Post by niowluka »

stevenghines wrote:
niowluka wrote:You probably removed some dependencies which would not be reinstalled automatically when you run the install command. Check your /var/log/apt/history.log what exactly Synaptic removed, and install it manually.
No need to reinstall Mint, niowluka's solution worked for me. Thank you!
No problem.

From my own experience, any changes to the system done via Synaptic, i.e. installing and removing packages, including drivers, are easily recoverable, and there is almost never a need to do a full reinstall (at least I can't think of a time when I had to do that). As long as all the steps are retraced using the apt history log, the system should be reverted to exact previous state. *

* Some personal tweaks and settings may be lost.
Mint 17 Openbox (MATE) 64bit | Linux 4.1.6 (Vanilla)

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H | AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz | G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 RipjawsX, F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | MSI R7 260X 2048 MB GDDR5 OC

Return to “Newbie Questions”