[SOLVED] Can't read Terminal input after upgrade

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gcollin
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Can't read Terminal input after upgrade

Post by gcollin »

Hi,

I've just upgraded from Nadia14 to Qiana17 (both 64-bit Cinnamon), using the "live" distro upgrade method rather than doing a "new install" (don't currently have the facilities to backup my drive due to unemployment and subsequent lack of income) on my HP Laptop (think it's a Pavillion G6).

One or two niggles (US keymap rather than UK for example ... which is driving me nuts right now), and one or two things I don't like and would like to change (opacity of the Terminal and start menu for instance, but they're minor issues).

Biggest problem I've discovered so far is that, when I open a Terminal window, I can't read anything I type, or any output - all I get is black type on black background ... not very conducive for managing to fix any problems down at that level.

Anyone got any ideas for a fix to this, and the keymap issue, if possible?

Many thanks.

-Graeme.
Last edited by gcollin on Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

0ddity
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Can't read Terminal input after upgrade

Post by 0ddity »

To fix your terminal, you can change your theme, or manually edit the terminal colours by right clicking in terminal, and selecting Profiles>Profile Preferences. You can edit Opacity there as well.

To fix the keyboard issue, go to Menu>System Settings. Once there, scroll down to Hardware section and select Keyboard.Under the list where it says English (US) Click the + icon and select your desired keyboard and then Add.

gcollin
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't read Terminal input after upgrade

Post by gcollin »

That's brilliant! All sorted now. Many thanks.
-G.

Return to “Newbie Questions”