Upgrade Mint version, while not touching Win7 partitions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Upgrade Mint version, while not touching Win7 partitions

Post by austin.texas »

You are creating three partitions inside the existing extended partition, so all three have to be Logical partitions. That is the only choice.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

VanessaTL
Level 4
Level 4

2 more unexpected things...

Post by VanessaTL »

dear valued experts :)

In Gparted stage
pls see http://i.imgur.com/t3HDw7e.png. I have this 1MB partition that I can't seem to get rid of. when i right-click that 1MB unallocated partition, I can't choose Delete.

In Install stage
I can't choose mount point for swap partition. pls see http://i.imgur.com/y1BmfA2.png. The options in the dropdown list are http://i.imgur.com/XASEx5p.png

expat_tony
Level 4
Level 4

Post by expat_tony »

@Vanessa
1 Mb partition : If you're a fanatically tidy person (Virgo? :) ) you'll continue to fret about this. But my (Sagittarius 8) ) advice would be that it's 1 bleedin' megabyte in gawd knows how many gigabytes, so just don't waste time on it. It's probably a remnant of an auto-created 1 Mb divider between blocks on the hard disk. That's no doubt totally the wrong terminology but I hope you understand what I mean.
EDIT: If you do think it's worth your time, you could try to re-size sda5 by 1 Mb at the front end. Highlight sda5, select Partition > Resize/move, and you'll see an area called "Free space preceding". If it has 1 MiB in it, you can change that to zero and watch sda5 grow by 1. Don't let any dire warning message worry you. But if it's greyed out, stop right there and forget all about it.

swap partition : You're not supposed to have any control over the mount point for this one. My linux-swap has no mount point showing in Gparted either, the main thing is that it works when called upon (all about saving/moving/copying giga-sized files, basically).

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

expat_tony is correct on both counts.
The 1MB buffer is there by default. Leave it.
The swap partition will be detected automatically by the installation program. There is nothing wrong and nothing more you need to do.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

VanessaTL
Level 4
Level 4

Do I put a check-mark for "Format the Partition"?

Post by VanessaTL »

dear expat.tony and austin.texas,

Thanks, for the sda5 ( / ) and sda7 (/home), do I put a check mark in the box beside "Format the partition"?
format_the_partition2.png
UPDATE: I chose "Format the Partition" for both partitions. :)
Last edited by VanessaTL on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaTL
Level 4
Level 4

"Encrypt my home folder"... what about swap and / ?

Post by VanessaTL »

dear all,
I'm in that part of the install where I'm given the option to "Encrypt my home folder". I want my home folder encrypted, but what about swap and / ? Isn't there private/personal data on those 2 partitions?

VanessaTL
Level 4
Level 4

The installer crashed!!! :(

Post by VanessaTL »

The installer crashed!!! The error message says:
The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:

[Errno 5] Input/output error

This is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may help to clean the CD/DVD, to burn the CD/DVD at a lower speed, to clean the CD/DVD drive lens (cleaning kits are often available from electronics suppliers), to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment.
Oh no.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Is it possible that you mounted those partitions while analyzing the installation process???
During installation you have to designate "Mount As:" saying how you want the / and /home partitions mounted. But if you actually mount those partitions during installation, the installer will crash when you try to install.
Linux Linx 2018

VanessaTL
Level 4
Level 4

How to figure out if I mounted partitions during installatio

Post by VanessaTL »

austin.texas wrote:Is it possible that you mounted those partitions while analyzing the installation process???
But if you actually mount those partitions during installation, the installer will crash when you try to install.
austin.texas, thanks again for your input. How do I know whether I mounted those partitions during installation?

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

When you start the installation program, you will get a popup warning if you have mounted partitions. If you don't get that popup, then the partitions are not mounted.
I was simply wondering if you did something accidentally or intentionally to mount them during installation. Don't do that, and it should work.
Linux Linx 2018

VanessaTL
Level 4
Level 4

Post by VanessaTL »

austin.texas wrote:When you start the installation program, you will get a popup warning if you have mounted partitions. If you don't get that popup, then the partitions are not mounted.
I was simply wondering if you did something accidentally or intentionally to mount them during installation. Don't do that, and it should work.
Nope. When I start the "Install Linux Mint" program, the first thing I see is "Welcome" and a list of languages on the left-hand side. I don't get any popups about mounted partitions.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Did you still get a crash?
Linux Linx 2018

VanessaTL
Level 4
Level 4

Post by VanessaTL »

austin.texas wrote:Did you still get a crash?
Yes. :(
What the partition screen looks like after I start Install Linux Mint.
after_the_crash.png
What the partition screen looks like after I start Install Linux Mint AFTER I make some changes (Format partitions; specify filesystems)
after_crash_with_changes.png
With the configuration above, it still crashes, Around the 75%-completion mark.
Screenshot from 2014-10-16 5-42am_crashes70percent_of_the_way.png
Last edited by VanessaTL on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

That last screenshot looks fine. Did it still crash with that configuration?
Linux Linx 2018

VanessaTL
Level 4
Level 4

Post by VanessaTL »

austin.texas wrote:That last screenshot looks fine. Did it still crash with that configuration?
Yes, it crashed after that configuration.

I should reorder the screenshots in my last post.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I have seen this happen when the Mint DVD or USB was not perfectly made. It can also happen when there is a filesystem problem with one of the partitions. It is not too hard to delete the partitions and recreate them.
A third possibility is that there is an actual I/O hardware problem.
Are you installing the bootloader (Grub) to the default location, /dev/sda ? Or are you trying to install Grub to a partition, such as sda5?
Linux Linx 2018

VanessaTL
Level 4
Level 4

Post by VanessaTL »

austin.texas wrote:I have seen this happen when the Mint DVD or USB was not perfectly made. It can also happen when there is a filesystem problem with one of the partitions. It is not too hard to delete the partitions and recreate them.
A third possibility is that there is an actual I/O hardware problem.
Are you installing the bootloader (Grub) to the default location, /dev/sda ? Or are you trying to install Grub to a partition, such as sda5?
I could run the memory test on the USB later.

How can I determine if there is a problem with one of the partitions?

Well, after exiting the installer, I opened up a terminal and ran "sudo gparted". The first thing that greeted me was this screen:
Screenshot from 2014-10-16 0626am_sdb_gpt_table.png
I deleted sda5, 6, and 7, and now there's 2 unallocated sections.
Screenshot from 2014-10-16 632am_now there is 2 unallocated.png
One is inside sda4. The other is outside (2MB). I don't think I had an outside-sda4 unallocated section before. Could this be what's causing the problem? I can't seem to be able to get rid of this 2MB unallocated section. PLs help.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Open a terminal and post the result of:
sudo parted -l
Linux Linx 2018

VanessaTL
Level 4
Level 4

result of sudo parted -l

Post by VanessaTL »

austin.texas wrote:Open a terminal and post the result of:
sudo parted -l
hi. austin.texas. here it is:
mint@mint ~ $ sudo parted -l
Model: ATA TOSHIBA MK3265GS (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 320GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 1574MB 1573MB primary ntfs boot, diag
2 1574MB 69.2GB 67.6GB primary ntfs
4 69.2GB 309GB 240GB extended
3 309GB 320GB 11.1GB primary ntfs hidden

Warning: /dev/sdb contains GPT signatures, indicating that it has a GPT table.
However, it does not have a valid fake msdos partition table, as it should.
Perhaps it was corrupted -- possibly by a program that doesn't understand GPT
partition tables. Or perhaps you deleted the GPT table, and are now using an
msdos partition table. Is this a GPT partition table?
Yes/No?

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Now I believe we have the root of the problem, so to speak.
If you originally had a GPT disk, and then you installed Windows in non-UEFI mode, or installed Windows in UEFI mode, and then installed Mint in non-UEFI mode, you are creating some basic incompatibilities, and it rarely works well.
That is why the installer crashed at about the point of installing the bootloader (Grub). Because a GPT disk does not have the conventional MBR that you have on a non-GPT (msdos) disk. It has a fake MBR, which is supposed to accomodate non-UEFI installations, but does not always work well.
You can read this page to get some background info.
Linux on UEFI: A Quick Installation Guide
http://www.rodsbooks.com/linux-uefi/

How to install Linux on UEFI systems where GRUB fail to install?
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/858

[TUTORIAL] Installing Mint on a Windows 8/8.1 Computer
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Newbie Questions”