Very new and challenged user

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kingarthur101
Level 1
Level 1

Very new and challenged user

Post by kingarthur101 »

Greetings to you all linux yodas as you can easily see I am a new member and just recently became interested in linux. My reason for wanting linux is not to replace windows 8.1 that I have install but to dual boot (i think that is correct?) I want to turn on my laptop and be able to choose which OS to load up. I also am looking for a OS that is not heavy in fact one that is so light that when I turn on the computer it loads up like 1-2 and is already waiting for me to just do my stuff unlike windows that 2 minutes later I am about to start waiting for all the application load ups once windows loads. I also want something that when I ( a multitask user) begin to use several things it loads them up quickly and not give me the loading icon because is been slow. I have a Samsung ATIV 4 Intel I7 2.0gz 8gb ram and which such yes it gives me a lot of the loading BS even at a simple level of just go the the internet. So int eh end something light something fast specially when I have 5-7 things running at the same time and ultimately something new and interesting than plain boring windows. I do not know any procedures at all on any level on doing any of this I so far been watchign youtube videos but got mroe confused than I was when I started out, all I have so far is that I (I think) I have a bootable usb thumbdrive I did the whole cmd disk clean up thing...that is as far as I got and then I registered onto this forum site to look for active useful help. Thank you in advance I will be around hoping to read some insightful help, I can always use video help I learn easier when it is on hands help or watching it and following instructions.

vidtek
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Very new and challenged user

Post by vidtek »

kingarthur101 wrote:Greetings to you all linux yodas as you can easily see I am a new member and just recently became interested in linux. My reason for wanting linux is not to replace windows 8.1 that I have install but to dual boot (i think that is correct?) I want to turn on my laptop and be able to choose which OS to load up. I also am looking for a OS that is not heavy in fact one that is so light that when I turn on the computer it loads up like 1-2 and is already waiting for me to just do my stuff unlike windows that 2 minutes later I am about to start waiting for all the application load ups once windows loads. I also want something that when I ( a multitask user) begin to use several things it loads them up quickly and not give me the loading icon because is been slow. I have a Samsung ATIV 4 Intel I7 2.0gz 8gb ram and which such yes it gives me a lot of the loading BS even at a simple level of just go the the internet. So int eh end something light something fast specially when I have 5-7 things running at the same time and ultimately something new and interesting than plain boring windows. I do not know any procedures at all on any level on doing any of this I so far been watchign youtube videos but got mroe confused than I was when I started out, all I have so far is that I (I think) I have a bootable usb thumbdrive I did the whole cmd disk clean up thing...that is as far as I got and then I registered onto this forum site to look for active useful help. Thank you in advance I will be around hoping to read some insightful help, I can always use video help I learn easier when it is on hands help or watching it and following instructions.
Hi and welcome to Mint.
First thing, when you post can you break up your paragraphs so it's easier to read?
It sounds to me like what you are trying to achieve is ferrari performance from an old Fiat 500, it 'aint gunna happen. If you want that sort of performance, you need to spend some real money on good fast hardware. If you can't spend the money, you'll just have to put up with slow performance like the rest of us!
Having said that, Mint 17 with KDE will give you a virtually unlimited number of desktops with immediate switching between them. Each desktop can run lots of concurrent programmes, so depending on your system resources you can achieve your goals with limited hardware.
Booting speeds are always fast at first then slow down as the system matures and new apps etc. load.
Tony
Asus Z270 i7 16gb ram 8.25tb GT960 TSB6205 Quad tuner 64-bit Mint 18.2 Sonya KDE & win 10 Be/FE myth 0.28
Laptop Samsung NP R580 i5 nvidia linux ultimate & win 10

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

since it's another win_8 PC - have a look at this tutorial:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126

- be careful about some online references to a mint / win_8 dual_boot,
as some do refer to older versions of the Mint O/S.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer »

Welcome to the forums Kingarthur01! This is the right place to ask questions. For a fast and lightweight version of Linux Mint I would recommend LM Mate or Xfce. Mate is a little prettier, looks like Windows XP in some ways and is pretty easy to navigate.

You mentioned you have a bootable USB thumb drive. Have you tried starting it up yet? You need to boot from this flash drive to start up in "Live" mode. It will not install anything like this. You can test drive LM this way, see what works for you (video drivers, wifi, etc) and not touch your existing Windows 8.1 yet.

Take your time and plan ahead. You can indeed "dual boot" your system and select Windows or Linux on startup.
Last edited by gtsfer on Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no gravity, the earth sucks." - Issac Newton @ 75
KDE & Cinnamon 18.1 & Win 10 - ASUS M5A99FX PRO MB, AMD FX-8370 Octo-Core CPU, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 »

Samsung ATIV 4 Intel I7 2.0gz 8gb ram
This does not seem to be a hardware of performance challenged system.
I think you can run most any distribution you prefer.
You can try it before installing anything when booteng Live.
Just boot your computer with that thumb drive and see how it runs. You may have to enter the computer's Bios screen and make the usb drive
the first in the boot order.

kingarthur101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingarthur101 »

Hey fellows I am back and I have linux mint 17 kde running whcih I am ussing currently. Thanks for all the help but I have one mayor question. You know how when you start it up from your usb drive when your on the desktop it shows the install on the hard drive permanently icon. Now I want to be able to insall it and choose which OS to boot up...how do I do that because i risked installing it from that icon on the top left on the desktop like i said and it doesnt do anythign every time it restarts it just runs again from the usb and is all temporarely used like yesterday i downloaded skype and its gone and everythign I downoad, when I restart its gone nothign stays permanently.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 »

Sounds like you have installed Mint. After you install remove the usb stick when prompted and finish the reboot process. Any changes you make after that will be saved to your hard drive.
If you made your usb stick iso 'with persistance' some changes will be saved there for later testing and booting Live.

kingarthur101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingarthur101 »

Ok I will try once more all41 so now I just restart takign out the usb and should boot up with linux then right? brb am about to try out lets just pray my computer doesnt screw up on me i dont have ways to fix a computer right now.

kingarthur101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingarthur101 »

well that didnt work i restarted the laptop I unplugged the usb and when it restarted just went blank saying please insert media disk or usb with iso file........so i am trying to re install it again once i restart i will unplug the usb if that doesnt work i dont know what to do.

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer »

kingarthur101 wrote:well that didnt work i restarted the laptop I unplugged the usb and when it restarted just went blank saying please insert media disk or usb with iso file........so i am trying to re install it again once i restart i will unplug the usb if that doesnt work i dont know what to do.
If you do re-install, do not take the USB flash stick out until you are prompted on the screen to do so. After the install completes it will ask you "reboot now?". Say yes and wait for it. You should get a message that says "remove installation DVD" or something like that in a bit. At that point, remove the flash stick and hit "enter" just as it says to.
KDE & Cinnamon 18.1 & Win 10 - ASUS M5A99FX PRO MB, AMD FX-8370 Octo-Core CPU, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 »

My experiences are that after the usb device boots and you have a Live screen (you will see the install icon).
After running the install if returns to the same screen and you get a prompt asking "Continue testing" or "Restart Now".
Choosing restart will co through a few processes and you will see text near the top prompting to remove the usb device and press enter to continue.
On occasion it will not continue to reboot but display something like "caught" or some unintelligble phrase.
Press and hold down the power button until the computer shuts down. Then turn it back on and wait for it to boot.
Post your results

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I have two questions about what you want to do.
First, in order to install Mint as a dual-boot with Windows 8.1, you have to determine if Windows was installed in UEFI mode, or CSM (legacy) mode. That will determine how Mint should be installed.
Second, how did you create your Mint usb? Some methods, like Unetbootin, might not be completely compatible with a UEFI installation. You have to boot the Mint usb in UEFI mode, if Windows is installed in UEFI mode.

Please boot the Mint usb, open a terminal, enter these commands, and post the results to this forum:
(Click on "Select All" to highlight it - and then copy the command.)

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

sudo parted -l
You can use Firefox on the Mint usb to post here.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

kingarthur101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingarthur101 »

austin.texas wrote:I have two questions about what you want to do.
First, in order to install Mint as a dual-boot with Windows 8.1, you have to determine if Windows was installed in UEFI mode, or CSM (legacy) mode. That will determine how Mint should be installed.
Second, how did you create your Mint usb? Some methods, like Unetbootin, might not be completely compatible with a UEFI installation. You have to boot the Mint usb in UEFI mode, if Windows is installed in UEFI mode.

Please boot the Mint usb, open a terminal, enter these commands, and post the results to this forum:
(Click on "Select All" to highlight it - and then copy the command.)

inxi -Fxz

sudo parted -l
You can use Firefox on the Mint usb to post here.
Yes I noobly did it all with the unetbootin thing and heck if i know about the first question this laptop is store bought so ...IDK

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer »

Sigh, austin_texas would like you to start the program called "Terminal". It's somewhere in there when you click "Menu", probably on the left hand side of the panel that pops up.

In that "terminal" thing, run each of those commands, one at a time, exactly as shown. You can copy the commands from here with your mouse or use the "select all" button as described. Then, copy the output from the Terminal window (select it with your mouse, right-click and "copy") and then paste the results of those two commands back here when you reply. That will tell volumes about your system and answer many, many questions. :)

kingarthur101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingarthur101 »

gtsfer wrote:Sigh, austin_texas would like you to start the program called "Terminal". It's somewhere in there when you click "Menu", probably on the left hand side of the panel that pops up.

In that "terminal" thing, run each of those commands, one at a time, exactly as shown. You can copy the commands from here with your mouse or use the "select all" button as described. Then, copy the output from the Terminal window (select it with your mouse, right-click and "copy") and then paste the results of those two commands back here when you reply. That will tell volumes about your system and answer many, many questions. :)
Cries beh I'm so bad at this. I will try doign that...now I went ont he menu (like start on windows button) and wrote on search terminal a 'like' cmd promp white windows came up thats how far i gotten i will read everything else and try .

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer »

kingarthur101 wrote:
gtsfer wrote:Cries beh I'm so bad at this. I will try doign that...now I went ont he menu (like start on windows button) and wrote on search terminal a 'like' cmd promp white windows came up thats how far i gotten i will read everything else and try .
That's ok, Linux takes some getting used to. That's it, if you have a thing that resembles a DOS command prompt (like the "cmd" window), that's where you enter those commands.

It probably has a prompt like this.... "your-ID@computer-name ~ $"

kingarthur101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingarthur101 »

gtsfer wrote:
kingarthur101 wrote:
gtsfer wrote:Cries beh I'm so bad at this. I will try doign that...now I went ont he menu (like start on windows button) and wrote on search terminal a 'like' cmd promp white windows came up thats how far i gotten i will read everything else and try .
That's ok, Linux takes some getting used to. That's it, if you have a thing that resembles a DOS command prompt (like the "cmd" window), that's where you enter those commands.

It probably has a prompt like this.... "your-ID@computer-name ~ $"
Wanted to add mine says mint@mint....the reason i say it is because you said had my id@computer name which i thought well sounds normal when i look in it says mint@mint...seems liek the software is running so temporary that it doesnt even know is runnign on a computer. Anyways tryign those steps out now

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

be patient we all started like this and if you feel more comfortable with graphical tools , we can also provide you with the right instructions to get this working.
First thing it o identify if you have windows in efi mode, to do so reboot into windows use this:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/home_is_wher ... -uefi.aspx

then come back.
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

kingarthur101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingarthur101 »

ok now i put both codes in and well i got a bunch of info I dont knwo if that is what you all need most of computer info and stuff now dont be hacking my computer :P please for real i dont have money to pay for anyones idea of fun time.

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

use the windows link I provided and no we won't try anything nasty :lol:
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

Return to “Newbie Questions”