Very new and challenged user

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kingarthur101
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Very new and challenged user

Post by kingarthur101 »

PatH57 wrote:use the windows link I provided and no we won't try anything nasty :lol:
mhm (sacarstic face) anyways here is the info on my stuff that i got when i put those 2 codes on the terminal....

System: Host: mint Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: KDE 4.13.0 (Qt 4.8.6) Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine: System: SAMSUNG product: 3570R/370R/470R/450R/510R/4450RV version: P15RAN
Mobo: SAMSUNG model: NP470R5E-K02UB version: SEC_SW__1234567890ABCD
Bios: American Megatrends version: P15RAN.208.140429.ZW date: 04/29/2014
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i7-3537U CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9976.76
Clock Speeds: 1: 775.00 MHz 2: 775.00 MHz 3: 775.00 MHz 4: 1200.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card: Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 4759.1GB (0.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD7500BPVT size: 750.2GB
2: USB id: /dev/sdb model: USB_2.0_FD size: 8.2GB 3: id: /dev/sdc model: My_Book_1230 size: 4000.8GB
Partition: ID: / size: 3.9G used: 393M (10%) fs: overlayfs ID: swap-1 size: 8.47GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 44.0C mobo: 44.0C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 189 Uptime: 3:13 Memory: 892.1/7871.2MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4

kingarthur101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingarthur101 »

PatH57 wrote:use the windows link I provided and no we won't try anything nasty :lol:
also...grrr thats done on windows now i have to log out and boot up windows such a pain int he butt oh well brb in windows i suppose.

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

or we can just send you a lot of commands and at the end of the day you still won't know what did what. It's easier for you this way, you will understand quickly what you are doing and in a month or 2 help others. (damn n00bs) :wink:
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

kingarthur101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingarthur101 »

PatH57 wrote:or we can just send you a lot of commands and at the end of the day you still won't know what did what. It's easier for you this way, you will understand quickly what you are doing and in a month or 2 help others. (damn n00bs) :wink:
Right? I mean whats up with this noobs comign up asking such insulting easy that they should be born with the answer to dare to ask huh? lol :P

kingarthur101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingarthur101 »

anyways here I just went somewhere....and saw it said efi for what i rechecked a few times i thinkt hat is the right info in the right section so i take it mine is efi or kfc or mcds :P just messing

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

told one day in Saudi Arabia to a guy that KFC stood for King Fahad Chicken :lol: (he couldn't stop laughing)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

kingarthur101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingarthur101 »

[quote="PatH57"]told one day in Saudi Arabia to a guy that KFC stood for King Fahad Chicken :lol: (he couldn't stop laughing)[/quote
You sir deserve a beer LMAO

kingarthur101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingarthur101 »

So what do I do now i mean i think now we know it is efi or whatever now what?

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

ok,

so best is to do an EFI install of Mint 17 so both system will be able to boot nicely
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2014/06/11/ho ... -firmware/

Read it and come back with questions before you attempt to install.

mbohets
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mbohets »

It seems to me that you need a tablet rather than a PC (no boot time, everything ready to use when you switch it on)

If you can live with a boot time of about 15 seconds, consider putting an SSD disk in your PC.
I put one in an old desktop PC, and it gave it a real speed boost (not for heavy video editing, but for normal applications and boot time it made a real big difference)
My old pentium 4 now boots the KDE desktop in 15 seconds.
I suppose if you use a more lightweight desktop things will be even faster.
Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religion

kingarthur101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingarthur101 »

mbohets wrote:It seems to me that you need a tablet rather than a PC (no boot time, everything ready to use when you switch it on)

If you can live with a boot time of about 15 seconds, consider putting an SSD disk in your PC.
I put one in an old desktop PC, and it gave it a real speed boost (not for heavy video editing, but for normal applications and boot time it made a real big difference)
My old pentium 4 now boots the KDE desktop in 15 seconds.
I suppose if you use a more lightweight desktop things will be even faster.
I just don't want for one windows as my main OS doesn't mean i want to get rid of it but i don't want to use it all the time unless I have no choice cause is easier to use whatever in windows. 2 I noticed how lightweight linux seems compared to windows linux takes all the extra fancy crap looks and such and things you don't need to really have to use something. you want skype it opens up skype and you use skype you don't see the fancy look or there might be tools you cant use but they are seriously used rarely so why have them or loaded with them so when things open they open faster in linux.

kingarthur101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingarthur101 »

PatH57 wrote:ok,

so best is to do an EFI install of Mint 17 so both system will be able to boot nicely
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2014/06/11/ho ... -firmware/

Read it and come back with questions before you attempt to install.
I am reading this and I am seriously thinking this is Cisco manager type stuff to do. messing with the C drive...what if i mess that up then i end up having no OS

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

that's why always do a full backup before you "try" a new OS.

kingarthur101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingarthur101 »

PatH57 wrote:that's why always do a full backup before you "try" a new OS.
I never done a backup dont even know how I do have a 4tb external hardrive hope i don't have to like zip it up just for doing a backup since i use it for EVERYTHING i have.

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

well "we" do replace around 20 drives a week so hw failures do also happen and without backup...see what I mean.
Did you get any recovery media with your system?

kingarthur101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingarthur101 »

PatH57 wrote:well "we" do replace around 20 drives a week so hw failures do also happen and without backup...see what I mean.
Did you get any recovery media with your system?
If you can spare a couple of HDD then i would dare but other wise I can't just buy new hdds I had to save months to buy my 4tb hdd. I need to knwo I can do it in a safe and no fail way. is there any other way? what if i face it and run it from the usb? but will it ever be ermanent? cause right now out of the usb is temporary and everytime i restart everythign i dled gets erazed.

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

this is the easiest way to create a Mint17 usb with persistent storage. (works also with Mint17)

http://tuxtweaks.com/2014/03/create-lin ... -live-usb/

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

If your thumbdrive is 8GB or larger, you can do a full install to it and it will then run just like on any hard drive install. All changes will be persistent too. The only advantage of a persistently LIVE DVD instead of a full install is the smaller size of the LIVE USB since it's a highly compressed "squash" file.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

kingarthur101 wrote:If you can spare a couple of HDD then i would dare but other wise I can't just buy new hdds I had to save months to buy my 4tb hdd.
I don't understand this comment because you have the 4 TB drive, sdc, and you have a 750.2GB Western Digital drive, sda. You would install the operating systems, (Windows and Mint), to sda and use sdc for backup.

Also, I asked you to post the result of the command:

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l
and we haven't seen that yet.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Newbie Questions”