Linux Mint 17 MATE: how to increase mouse cursor size?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
newyorkpaulie
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint 17 MATE: how to increase mouse cursor size?

Post by newyorkpaulie »

Just tried out 17-Mate on my T-61 ThinkPad and it looks like I can't increase my mouse arrow size like I can on my present Mint-14 using Appearance/Customize/Pointer. Any ideas? Having to keep that tiny arrow is a deal breaker for me.
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split from Release Announcement here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=168781, announcements are no support threads
Dual-booting LM17.3Rosa-64bit - Win10-64bit on a T61 ThinkPad.

ClutchDisc
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" MATE is out!

Post by ClutchDisc »

What do you mean by "you can't increase it"? Did you try to click the bar and move it to the bigger side and nothing happened? It works fine for me.
Custom build
CPU: Intel Core i5 2.70GHz quad core
RAM: 8GB DDR4
OS drive: 120GB SSD
Data drive: 2TB HDD

newyorkpaulie
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" MATE is out!

Post by newyorkpaulie »

ClutchDisc wrote:What do you mean by "you can't increase it"? Did you try to click the bar and move it to the bigger side and nothing happened? It works fine for me.
Sure. The slide-control is visible but not "available" - remains grayed out.
Dual-booting LM17.3Rosa-64bit - Win10-64bit on a T61 ThinkPad.

all41
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Linux Mint 17 MATE: how to increase mouse cursor size?

Post by all41 »

It's like you have to close out the Appearance window and then reenter Appearance/Customize/Pointer and then you can adjsut the size. When I revert to the default pointer the adjustment slider will not work untill I do that.

johanna
Level 2
Level 2

Post by johanna »

I just jump into this thread, as your answer helped me too all41 Thank you!
Regards, Johanna

Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

I tend to lurk here,however, I definitely have a rant or two about this subject, so you
might as well get some tea or coffee for this one.
Tldr.: I provided a link to large pointers you can install near the bottom of my wall of text. :)

Why in the world are pointers the size of fleas so popular? Does it not occur to the developers
that some people might have a wee bit of trouble seeing the pointer?
On XFCE, when you first install it on Manjaro, you get a dark grey background
with a microscopic black pointer. :evil:
Until I can get it enlarged, I spend a good 15 minutes finding and loosing the mouse over and over. At least on MATE,the mouse is white,but it's still obscurely hard to see.
There has been so much aggravation over this "improvement"
that we at Linuxinternationals took it upon ourselves to rectify this faux pas by making a set of big pointers.
Keep in mind,if you use these,every time you change your theme,the mouse will shrink,so you
will have to get said pointer again.or use the slider provided in MATE for their pointers,which
they have carefully hidden under:Appearance > Preference > customize > pointer.
I'd have put it under "mouse" so people could find it,but that's me.
Ok,I've ran out of steam (for now). But hang on, because below, (if you lasted this long) is my link for our pointers.
BTW,don't use the ladybug pointer (which is animated) if you plan to use the Gimp, as it
will make the Gimp very unhappy..And you don't want to even go there..Trust me.
http://linuxinternationals.org/forum/vi ... .php?f=166
Cheers.
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.

Alfie_ca
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alfie_ca »

Have Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 Rosa
Had same problem with microscopic mouse. Tried to find the "Appearance" as you have not specified where it is?
This word is not on my Menu, Settings, also my Search could not find it on the system. But gave me an idea and I found a quicker solution:
To directly increase the size of the mouse cursor in Rosa - go to MENU, type mouse in the search field, mouse pop-up window has the sliders for the cursor size.
Hope this helps someone with Rosa cursor.

Friedrich79
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Friedrich79 »

all41 wrote:It's like you have to close out the Appearance window and then reenter Appearance/Customize/Pointer and then you can adjsut the size. When I revert to the default pointer the adjustment slider will not work untill I do that.
Hey, thanks a lot for this hint! That's exactly what I have been looking for.
It is really strange that you cannot adjust the pointer size when the "default" is selected. So you have to select one of the DMZ pointers and restart Appearance/Customize/Pointer. Funny also what happens, if you then change back to "default": the size slider is still usable, but as soon as you move it, the whole Appearance window closes by itself. (I just tried it with Linux Mint 18.)

Return to “Newbie Questions”