Firewall?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
pensioner77
Level 3
Level 3

Firewall?

Post by pensioner77 »

When I was using Ubuntu as my OS I had Firestarter installed as a firewall, this does not appear to be available in Mint17, Is there an alternative?

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Firewall?

Post by PatH57 »

ufw should be installed as default and you could use the GUI to configure it
http://gufw.org/
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

pensioner77 wrote:When I was using Ubuntu as my OS I had Firestarter installed as a firewall
Firestarter seems to have been removed from the official Ubuntu repositories in version Ubuntu 13.10 or maybe earlier. As a consequence, any Mint release, starting with Mint 16 will not offer Firestarter in the repositories, either.
Seems Firestarter has been removed, because it had no longer been actively maintained for several years.
No firestarter
Ubuntu on Firestarter
Ubuntu on Firewall

As PatH57 suggested, use the uncomplicated firewall ufw instead and if you like its GUI gufw.
Note:
Because this behaviour has led to misunderstandings in the past. Gufw will not even display the current state of ufw unless you have clicked the [Unblock] button.
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typing error corrected
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

also if you use a router chances are a firewall is already on it.

There are advantages to both a hardware firewall and a PC firewall. The hardware firewall is isolated from your computer, which you run potentially bad code on that could compromise the integrity of the firewall. The hardware firewall may still have problems with it, but it is likely far harder to compromise. The disadvantage however is that a hardware firewall knows very little if anything about what program is making an outgoing connection. It is best at keeping out intruders as opposed to keeping bad things from getting out to the Internet since that would take far more complex configuration of denying any connection that isn't explicitly configured as allowed.

A software firewall on the other hand runs on your computer and is aware of the application that is trying to access the network. You can allow things at a much more granular level and it will do more to prevent a bad program (or even a good program) from accessing the network in a way you don't want it to, but the down side is that a smart bad program may be able to disable the functionality of the firewall and get past it.

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

pensioner77
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pensioner77 »

Thank you everyone, I have installed ufw from its web site. I was unable to find it on Software manager, in fact I can find nothing on there unless I laboriously scroll down all the programmes until I find what I am looking for. The search slot does not seem to react to anything, I have tried Left Clicking, right Clicking or double clicking, on the Magnifying glass icon, the entered name,all with no avail, only the Xarrow deletes, as you would expect! It is not because the programme is not there, I tried entering Firefox but with no result.

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

strange.
check your version of software manager, help, about mine is mintInstall 7.5.7

just tried it with entering firefox,then press enter and voila....

KirbySmith
Level 4
Level 4

Post by KirbySmith »

In my Mint 17 MATE, GUFW shows up as "Firewall Configuration" in the Menu under Preferences. I don't recall deliberately installing it.

kirby
Desktop 1: DFI Lanparty UT nF4 SLI-D/AMD Athlon 64 San Diego/BFG GeForce 7800 GT/Mint 18.3 MATE
Desktop 2: Gigabyte 770T-USB3/AMD Phenom II X4 965/EVGA GeForce 9800 GT/Mint 18.3 MATE
HTPC: Asus C6H/AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, Asus Geforce 1080 Ti/Mint 18.3 MATE

wanderer7
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wanderer7 »

pensioner77 wrote:Thank you everyone, I have installed ufw from its web site. I was unable to find it on Software manager, in fact I can find nothing on there unless I laboriously scroll down all the programmes until I find what I am looking for. The search slot does not seem to react to anything, I have tried Left Clicking, right Clicking or double clicking, on the Magnifying glass icon, the entered name,all with no avail, only the Xarrow deletes, as you would expect! It is not because the programme is not there, I tried entering Firefox but with no result.
Yes, the Software Manager is a little buggy. For this reason, I use Synaptic.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

pensioner77 wrote:I have installed ufw from its web site.
ufw will come pre-installed on any Ubuntu and Linux Mint installation. So there should have been no need to install it at all, because it should have been there already.
I was unable to find it on Software manager,
Hm, cannot imagine why. Found it immediately.
(LM 17 - Software Manager (mintinstall) - search software ufw)
(Note: click on the small screenshot above in order to view it in normal size. Use <Alt><CursorLeft> to return to this thread)
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

I have tried Left Clicking, right Clicking or double clicking, on the Magnifying glass icon, the entered name,all with no avail, only the Xarrow deletes,
did you try to enter the name and then just press Enter (no need to click the mouse)

Return to “Newbie Questions”