If I don't want to upgrade to Linux Mint 17 how do I ....

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
goog64
Level 4
Level 4

If I don't want to upgrade to Linux Mint 17 how do I ....

Post by goog64 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:45 am

....access the old repositories? I am not computer savvy, so setting up my Linux Mint 15 with everything I need literally took me months.
I absolutely do not want to go through that again. I can't face it. Please don't suggest it. I've already read all the threads about how important and easy it is to upgrade. Trust me, for someone like me it is absolutely NOT easy.
All I want to do is install gtkpod so I can put music on an old iPod shuffle that someone just gave me.

So I found gtkpod in Software Manager but clicking "install" did nothing. So then I tried installing it through the terminal. That leads to lots of error messages like this:
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.14 80]

which then led me to searching Google for hours and it seems like I need to use "the old repositories" which then led me to a thread that told me to do this:

sudo sed -i 's/archive.ubuntu/old-releases.ubuntu/' /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-get update

Another thread told me to do this:

sudo apt-get clean
cd /var/lib/apt
sudo mv lists lists.old
sudo mkdir -p lists/partial
sudo apt-get clea
sudo apt-get update

which then leads me to asking here because neither of those worked. Now I get the error:

E: Unable to locate package gtkpod

Can somebody please tell me how to install gtkpod in my unsupported Linux Mint 15?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: If I don't want to upgrade to Linux Mint 17 how do I ...

Post by xenopeek » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:06 am

DISCLAIMER:
  • Do not use Linux Mint 15 on the Internet for anything serious like online banking. It is unsafe to use Linux Mint 15 for such purposes, as your web browser is now 8 months outdated and will have known security issues that may be exploited by malware, botnets, phishing attacks, and more. This risk will only increase as time goes by.
I strongly urge you to consider finding somebody to help with setting up Linux Mint 17 instead, which would let you continue worry free till April 2019.

If you still want to continue to use Linux Mint 15, you can use the Ubuntu old releases repository for that. Follow these steps: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades (replace CODENAME with raring). You'd replace your current Ubuntu repositories with those old releases ones. Don't change any Linux Mint repositories... If you need help with this, open a terminal and run the command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Sr
Copy the output from that (see terminal's Edit menu for copying) and paste it here.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:57 am

"so setting up my Linux Mint 15 with everything I need literally took me months."

I've go an old laptop that is still using Mint 5 LTS,
& the only thing that is updated, somewhat irregularly, is Firefox.

so, you can still continue to use an old O/S,
But you will have to be more vigil about your usage whilst on the 'net.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:03 am

Hi goog64,

I would argue that going through the hoops to get your old OS updated are quite possibly more complicated than upgrading to LM17.

If you can burn an ISO, change the boot order of your machine, and copy files to a USB stick or external drive, there are pretty easy ways to upgrade, this is what the forums are for,
help in getting you upgraded and problem solving.

If you wanted to test it out, you'd burn mint 17 to a USB and run it in live mode, check everything works, if it does, then you can prepare to make it easier first, before you decide to install.

I know it's easy when you know what you're doing, my last laptop upgrade took me a few hours that's all, but I'd copied certain files and made backups of software etc, before doing anything, THEN I installed. If you had no really major headaches with hardware not working etc, it's likely LM17 will be simple enough.

It can be pretty easy and painless, when you're ready, there will be help here to guide you through if you want it. And you'd be a lot safer online. . . . .

goog64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by goog64 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:06 am

Thank you for your help guys, I really appreciate it.

xenopeek - I might have already changed my Linux Mint repositories because gtkpod doesn't even show up in Software Manager now.
Here's the output of inxi -Sr:

jf@jf-Latitude-E6420 ~ $ inxi -Sr
System:    Host: jf-Latitude-E6420 Kernel: 3.9.9-030909-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 15 Olivia
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/andreas-diesner-garminplugin-raring.list
           deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/andreas-diesner/garminplugin/ubuntu raring main
           deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/andreas-diesner/garminplugin/ubuntu raring main
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
           deb http://packages.linuxmint.com olivia main upstream import #id:linuxmint_main
           deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu raring main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu raring-updates main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring-security main restricted universe multiverse
           deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ raring partner
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-unstable-raring.list
           deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/unstable/ubuntu raring main
           deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/unstable/ubuntu raring main
jf@jf-Latitude-E6420 ~ $ 
That link you sent me looks like it's just for upgrading. Is that the only way I can get gtkpod now?
If I had installed gtkpod last year, then I could still use it now, right? But because I didn't install it back then, now I can't do it? That's a pretty good incentive to install everything you think you might ever need before support goes away.

Pierre what do you do if you want to install something on your old laptop but it won't do it (like my gtkpod example)?

daveinuk I have Windows-only software running in Virtualbox that requires installing from discs which I no longer have as well as needing long forgotten authorisations and passwords. Just re-learning how to set up Virtualbox would take me days, let alone trying to reinstall these programs (which I need daily). And every time something goes wrong, it's hours and hours of searching through techno speak on Google search or these forums. (Most of the questions on this "Newbie Forum" make me laugh out loud at how un-Newbie they are. We are talking about a whole different level here with me.)

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:08 am

goog64 wrote:I have Windows-only software running in Virtualbox that requires installing from discs which I no longer have as well as needing long forgotten authorisations and passwords. Just re-learning how to set up Virtualbox would take me days, let alone trying to reinstall these programs (which I need daily).
I can understand how that is a concern. What I would do in that case is create a new / partition and install Mint 17 there. Then you would have a dual boot system, Mint 17 for everyday use, and Mint 15 for those programs that you can't recreate, for when you need them. Would that work for you?
(Actually, someone who is familiar with VirtualBox could probably tell you how to migrate those programs to Mint 17.)
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

goog64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by goog64 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:17 am

Thanks for the idea austin.texas but I tried a dual boot system a couple of years ago. I didn't like it. I'm on and off the computer all day and constantly switching in and out of virtualbox. I don't want to reboot 50 times a day.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:01 am

Pierre: what do you do if you want to install something on your old laptop, but it won't do it (like my gtkpod example)?
as the repo's are long gone, it has to be done completely manually,
- d/l the program & manually install it. - there is no way to install any dependencies, if the program does not contain them all.

the point is, that this laptop doesn't get any updates at all, - apart from FF that is.
& yes: it is, sometimes, used 'online' - but only on occasion, as it's primarily an 'off-line' PC.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:28 am

If you need to continue using Mint 15, you will not get any security updates for Mint, but you can have the latest web browser by adding the PPA for Chrome or Firefox.
When you install Chrome, that automatically adds the Chrome PPA to your software sources.
For Firefox, you can use the following command to add it to your sources.list in one step:

echo -e "\ndeb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list > /dev/null
If you wish, verify that the repository has been added, by looking at /etc/apt/sources.list in your favorite text editor, or running "tail /etc/apt/sources.list" in the terminal.

Then add the package signing key to your keyring, by running the following command:

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com C1289A29
Update your package database:

sudo apt-get update
Install your desired package, with one of the following commands:
sudo apt-get install firefox-mozilla-build
sudo apt-get install thunderbird-mozilla-build
sudo apt-get install seamonkey-mozilla-build

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/u ... =Main_Page
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

octathlon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by octathlon » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:09 am

goog, I searched and found a gtkpod.deb at http://www.flapane.com/nix.php which theoretically you should be able to just download the file and double-click to install.

I would like to add a few points about upgrading (ignore if you are dead-set against doing it).
If you save snapshots of your windows virtual machines, all the software you installed on them will still be there even after you upgrade. You would just reinstall Vitual Box after upgrading and then open that saved windows VM file. You wouldn't have to start from scratch with reinstalling windows in it.

The same applies to all your settings for other software, eg Firefox bookmarks, etc. If you have /home in its own partition--or if not, if you back up your entire home directory and then restore the files after upgrading, it will be as before--you would just have to reinstall the actual programs from the repositories. There are tutorials on how to make sure everything gets backed up and how do everything.

One more thing: Mint 17 is long-term support, so you won't have to worry about upgrading it until 2019.
Mint 19 Cinnamon 64bit on Dell Inspiron N7110 Dual core Intel Core i5-2450M
Mint 19 XFCE 64bit on System76 Pangolin Intel Core 2 duo
Full-time Linux user since 2007, Mint since 2014

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:33 pm

goog64 wrote:That link you sent me looks like it's just for upgrading. Is that the only way I can get gtkpod now?
It's not just for upgrading. This isn't the only way, but the only way with Software Manager. Other ways is to download a .deb file of gtkpod and other libraries/programs it needs from somewhere, or download source code and compile it.
goog64 wrote:I have Windows-only software running in Virtualbox that requires installing from discs which I no longer have as well as needing long forgotten authorisations and passwords.
I imagine you have a very good backup of your VirtualBox .vdi files then, because as you know hard disks don't last forever and can (and do) fail suddenly and unrecoverably. Nobody here is saying you should delete all your personal files, like VirtualBox .vdi files. Yes, please make a good backup of those and you can restore it all to Linux Mint 17.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:15 pm

I think you can probably find the packages you want in the debian archives. Have fun picking the right archive, though.

http://snapshot.debian.org/

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

goog64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by goog64 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:19 pm

Wow, thanks for all your replies. I am learning a lot. austin.texas thank you for taking the time with those instructions, but if what octathlon says about "saving snapshots" is true, then I will be able to change to Mint 17 after all.

xenopeek I don't know what a .vdi file is nor how to back it up. (I know it stands for virtual disk image, but that's all I know.) I guess I'm lucky that my hard drive hasn't failed and this thread is good timing.

I've just read the tutorial on changing to Mint 17 but most of the comments at the bottom say that Backup doesn't work, so how do I do it?

Can you please tell me how to save all these things that you guys are talking about (my Windows programs in Virtualbox, vdi's, Firefox bookmarks, etc)?

And can someone please answer this newbie question - if I learn how to back everything up properly (I'm assuming this is done on an external storage of some sort?), then install Mint 17, then how do I get everything working just like it is now?

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

You should always have a backup of your personal files, and in your case a backup of your VirtualBox .vdi files.
The best option would be an external hard drive, either in a usb hard drive case or a portable hard drive like I have
- http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... &CatId=136

There are a lot of backup choices. I use grsync.
You may want something you can run from a CD:
http://redobackup.org/
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=redo
Linux Linx 2018

goog64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by goog64 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:18 pm

austin.texas wrote:.........
There are a lot of backup choices. I use grsync.
You may want something you can run from a CD:
http://redobackup.org/
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=redo
I can't find grsync in my Software Manager, but that redobackup site sounds great (I can understand a lot of the words there). Thank you. I will try that.

goog64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by goog64 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:26 am

I've just been trying for an hour to use Mint Backup. It won't work for me. (I've encountered three different errors in the hour - I'll spare you the details.)
There are no other backup tools in my Software Manager, so that leaves "redobackup" mentioned above by austin.texas

Austin.texas (or anybody) can you please confirm that I've got these steps correct before I make a huge mistake:
1. download redobackup
2. burn it to a CD
3. insert CD into my laptop and use it to create a backup of my whole system on an external drive
(I'm assuming there will be easy to follow prompts when I run the CD?? I have a 250GB drive that I just took out of an old laptop. I've put it in an external case that I bought a few years ago and I've deleted all the files on it.)
4. remove redobackup CD from laptop
4. install Mint 17 using the DVD that I've already burned (try it "live" first to make sure it works)
5. re-insert redobackup CD and follow prompts(I hope??) to restore my system to how it was before

Are they the correct (and only) steps please?

goog64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by goog64 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:20 am

In the absence of answers I have just forged ahead and I'm up to step 3. I hope this is right.
But in the middle of the 2 hours that it's taking to backup, another question has occurred to me:
When I install Mint 17 and then use my redobackup CD to restore my system, why won't it just restore back to Mint 15?

baldrick.777
Level 4
Level 4

Post by baldrick.777 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:27 am

Ubuntu's back-up app is in the software centre "deja-dup". It differs to Mint's back-up software in that it securely encrypts your back-up so no-one can access it without your password. Might be worth checking that out?
Newbies, check this out first...
Amateur Photographer - Landscapes mainly. Check my profile & gallery HERE.
Using only FOSS - Gimp AppImage | Darktable | Raw Therapee | Gimp | LuminanceHDR, and others.

goog64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by goog64 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:35 am

baldrick.777 wrote:Ubuntu's back-up app is in the software centre "deja-dup". It differs to Mint's back-up software in that it securely encrypts your back-up so no-one can access it without your password. Might be worth checking that out?
Thanks baldrick.777, I just searched my Software Manager for deja-dup but unfortunately that doesn't show up either.
My redobackup is complete. Now I just have to wait and hope someone can answer the questions in my last two posts before I can risk installing Mint 17.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:33 am

Now that you have your system backed up as it should be, here is what I think you should do.
You should download Mint 17 in the flavor that you like - Cinnamon, Mate, x - and burn it to a DVD. Then you install it using Method 3 described here:
ways to upgrade from Mint 16 to Mint 17
- http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=168017

As you can see from that link, your upgrade from Mint 15 to Mint 17 using Method 3 should work just fine, as long as you don't format the Mint 15 partition during installation.

You would just chose the "Something Else" option during installation, and then select your Mint 15 partition as the installation partition, but DO NOT FORMAT the partition. Then the parts on that partition that need to be replaced will be replaced, and the other files and folders will be preserved. If you have a separate /home partition, you will designate that as /home during installation, but DO NOT FORMAT.
In this graphic the Format option is green, which will format the partition. UNCHECK that option, and you are good to go.
installScreenshot.png
installScreenshot.png (14.38 KiB) Viewed 981 times

Now, IF for some reason it does not work right, or you mess it up, you simply boot your ReDoBackup CD and restore your Mint 15 to the way it was before. (And try again.)
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Newbie Questions”