Bootloader insatll failed, no big deal, right?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
WolfenHammer
Level 1
Level 1

Bootloader insatll failed, no big deal, right?

Post by WolfenHammer » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:36 pm

Well maybe not in my case. I proceed without booltoader with plan to install later. I'm asked to restart. Asked to take live disk out of tray. As I'm pressing the button on the OD the drive opens by itself, so I actually close it; system reboots with disk still in. IDK what to do so I press the button a few more times, nothing. Computer reboots back into windows, and when I restart and go into bios, I am now lost as to how to boot into Mint. There is no option. Do I use the Live CD? Or is that just going to try and install again? Sorry for being a dumb noob. Because I I do not no why, but I decided to proceed with that method.

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Bootloader insatll failed, no big deal, right?

Post by gtsfer » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:26 pm

Not sure what you were planning to do from your info. Dual boot from the sound of it.

Did you install LM to a second hard disk maybe? Or did you put it on a partition on a single drive? What version of Windows? What version of LM did you install?

The install may actually be there, but minus the Grub bootloader from the sound of it. (if that's all, it could be no big deal to fix this).
"There is no gravity, the earth sucks." - Issac Newton @ 75
KDE & Cinnamon 18.1 & Win 10 - ASUS M5A99FX PRO MB, AMD FX-8370 Octo-Core CPU, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:46 pm

Put the DVD in the drive and boot the LIVE medium... During the live session, start Gparted and get a screen shot of Gparted looking at your HD... Post the screen shot here (during the same live session). Then shut down the LIVE session...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:10 am

Welcome to the club WolfenHammer. I did exactly the same last week on an install for a friend. On a dual boot with XP put the boot loader somewhere that boot couldn't see it, and like you was too quick to press the CD eject button so it closed again straight away and stayed closed. I had to shut down with the power button. Good job the freind watching behind my shoulder thought this was all normal.
I rebooted from the Linux disc and re-ran the installation exactly as before without formatting the partitions but including putting the bootloader at the top of the disc (sda for me). Everything working and friend happy.
Go Steady, but keep going

Return to “Newbie Questions”