Music Player wont show up as default: JUK music player

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Cocolate
Level 1
Level 1

Music Player wont show up as default: JUK music player

Post by Cocolate » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:58 am

I always receive help from this forum. I am an Ubuntu user and Ubuntu forum never answers my threads.

I was unhappy with the Rhythmbox default music player on Ubuntu 13.10. I tried several music players and the one that worked best was JUK. It is a KDE application. I want to set JUK as my default music player but it will not show up in "Open With", it is not showing up in "Ubuntu Tweak", it is not showing up in "deconf-editor", it does not show up in System Settings>Details>Removable Media.

That is all the help available online. Clementine did not have sound on my PC, that IS an application available as default installation, but I am happy with JUK and prefer to keep it.

Why will it not show up? Because it is KDE and I running Gnome?

Cocolate
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Music Player wont show up as default: JUK music player

Post by Cocolate » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:45 pm

Just changed music players from fresh install. Sorry if this thread comes up. JuK has a bug where it crashes anyways if any of the music files are moved in your folders.

Use Audacious, and I just ended up reinstalling my PC and then Clementine worked perfectly.

Thanks

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Music Player wont show up as default: JUK music player

Post by Mute Ant » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:20 pm

''Because it is KDE and I running Gnome?'' I don't think so. Amarok is KDE, shows up under Sound&Video and is offered as an OpenWith option for mp3 files. Juk does show up under Sound&Video in Mint 13, but there's no OpenWith option. Running...

Code: Select all

juk *.mp3
...starts the program and adds files to the 'collection', but I still have to press Play. So it's a music database that can play things, rather than a media player that has a database.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Return to “Newbie Questions”