Black square icon in system-tray-applet

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Laoyumi

Black square icon in system-tray-applet

Post by Laoyumi »

In Linux Mint 17 my system-tray now displays besides the program icons a black square. Left or Right Click on it causes no reaction. What is this square icon and how can I get rid of it

Michael
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sionghua

Re: Black square icon in system-tray-applet

Post by sionghua »

I have the same problem here. Any solution?
user0x

Post by user0x »

I have this issue but then it went away.
Seems to be random, and could just be residue of updates, video changes, menubar customizations, etc.
Should go away on its own.
Intrinsic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Intrinsic »

I have this same issue. Today I figure out the black square is coming from Keepass, and that I might be able to get rid of it with an extension.
Bekk

Post by Bekk »

Opening KeePass2 and going into its Menu - Tools > Options - Interface tab and changing it to:

{ } Close button [X] minimizes main window instead of terminating the application
{ } Minimize to tray instead of taskbar
{X} Show tray icon only if main window has been sent to tray

Then shutting down KeePass2 and restarting it got rid of my black square.
JayJay_seal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JayJay_seal »

Sorry to bump this topic the issue with keepass is still ongoing.. and because this is the first search result in google i thought i'd post it here.

I have found a sollution to it

Run the following commands 1-by-1 in the console and you will get the default icon back and it will respond to clicking agian too.
The built-in notification tray icon for KeePass does not display in the panel.
This is because notification tray support for WinForms applications is broken in Mono.

How to resolve?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:dlech/keepass2-plugins
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install keepass2-plugin-tray-icon
Instead of keepass2-plugin-tray-icon you can also choose keepass2-plugin-status-notifier

But i would recommend the first one, it will bring back the left and right clicking of the icon as well and resume normal operation of the system tray icon. i've been wondering what the black icon was and thought it was some graphical blip in Mint (restarting Cinnamon would remove the blackend icon...) but it was in fact the Keepass2 icon not loading properly.
Kirara

Post by Kirara »

Thanks a bunch JayJay_seal!
The solution provided worked well on a Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”