[SOLVED] Questions re upgrading to a newer kernel

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Spearmint2
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Questions re upgrading to a newer kernel

Postby Spearmint2 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:32 pm

This is one of those times I'd use something else till the OS caught up to my newer hardware.

I've never had a problem with any zydas zd1211 chipset device on Linux.

Look for wifi dongles known to work in Linux, such as this one, which uses driver rtl8188.

It has an Amazon 4 star rating with almost 1300 reviews. You can put "linux" in the keywords and get 44 reviews on it used in Linux.

Here's a listing of rtl8188 driver files in mint 17.

Code: Select all

~ $ modprobe -c |grep 8188
alias pci:v000010ECd00008179sv*sd*bc*sc*i* rtl8188ee
alias usb:v07B8p8179d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in* r8188eu
alias usb:v07B8p8188d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in* rtl8192cu
alias usb:v07B8p8188d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in* r8712u
alias usb:v0BDAp0179d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in* r8188eu
alias usb:v0BDAp8179d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in* r8188eu
alias usb:v2001p330Fd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in* r8188eu
alias usb:v2001p3310d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in* r8188eu

Here's a link for Linux capable wifi USB adapters, but make sure you check the driver they use against what's already in the kernel being used. Use my example above of how to check.

Here's another rtl8188 type for $5, buy a spare, or several.

another that works out of the box with Linux $8 Belkin

Don't forget to check the Linuxmint Hardware section to find what others have used that worked, and what has been problematic. The wifi is listed under various headings like USB wifi, USB2 wifi, wifi dongle, etc. , so check them all. Use Qiana and Petra for comparison to get the most possible choices.

http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/search
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Dirkoir
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Dirkoir » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:09 pm

Thanks, again! I wonder if there was a sudo required? Here is what I got:

dirkoir@dirkoir-Hit ~ $ cd rtl8723be-master
bash: cd: rtl8723be-master: No such file or directory
dirkoir@dirkoir-Hit ~ $ cd /home/rtl8723be-master
dirkoir@dirkoir-Hit /home/rtl8723be-master $ make
make -C /lib/modules/3.13.0-24-generic/build M=/home/rtl8723be-master modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-24-generic'
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/home/rtl8723be-master/.tmp_versions’: Permission denied
  CC [M]  /home/rtl8723be-master/base.o
Assembler messages:
Fatal error: can't create /home/rtl8723be-master/.tmp_base.o: Permission denied
/home/rtl8723be-master/base.c: In function ‘rtl_tx_agg_stop’:
/home/rtl8723be-master/base.c:1047:23: warning: variable ‘tid_data’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
  struct rtl_tid_data *tid_data;
                       ^
/home/rtl8723be-master/base.c: In function ‘rtl_rx_agg_stop’:
/home/rtl8723be-master/base.c:1102:23: warning: variable ‘tid_data’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
                       ^
/home/rtl8723be-master/base.c: In function ‘rtl_tx_agg_oper’:
/home/rtl8723be-master/base.c:1129:23: warning: variable ‘tid_data’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
                       ^
make[2]: *** [/home/rtl8723be-master/base.o] Error 2
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/rtl8723be-master] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-24-generic'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Do I perhaps have to use "sudo make", and must I first undo whatever the above "make" may have done? Alternatively, reading through the output, I am beginning to think that pre-emptively setting that rtl8723be-master folder's owner and group to root rather than leaving it on dirkoir may have been foolish (esp. since i didn't do the same for its subdirectories - so this could never have worked anyway)... and that maybe the make process accomplished nothing whatsoever, so that there is no cleanup necessary. Hmm... (*sheepish grin* continued)
______
Linux Mint 17 Qiana Cinnamon 64-bit

JeremyB
Level 16
Level 16

Postby JeremyB » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:48 pm

You will need to use sudo make by the looks of things

Spearmint2
Level 12
Level 12

Postby Spearmint2 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:55 pm

"permission denied" means need to use sudo.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Dirkoir
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Dirkoir » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:36 pm

I figured it out. My trying to be proactive had interfered. Once I returned the owner and group to dirkoir, the make and install worked without error, and - what's more, a LOT more - for the first time I am on my new E540 and on the Internet at the same time! Yayyy!!! Thanks a million JeremyB! :) :) :)

I'll still have to see if I can replicate this success on my upcoming 64-bit Mint installation to the internal hard drive, and if the regular disconnects for which the RTL8723BE is infamous won't be a problem (the now installed driver was designed to handle exactly that problem, I think, so there's hope. So far, it's running stably).

@Spearmint2: Those prices are great! Thanks. OTOH, I have already tried a USB adapter work-around, without success. I had an old LinkSys WUSB54G v. 4 lying around and figured -- old as it is -- Linux must have adapted to it years ago. Well, my Mint install recognized it indeed and allowed me to try and connect, but it always failed to connect. On the 0-27 Kernel, it did not even get recognized, though -- same as the RTL8723BE, which makes me really scared of future Mint updates since this means that upgrades can break formerly working things, and wireless Internet access is critical to a laptop's usefulness. I guess, once I get a working Mint installed on the internal drive, I'll have to figure out a way to create a backup image of it for recovery purposes, ideally one which I can fit on a DVD or two. Suggestions welcome. ;-)

To other readers of this thread who arrived here looking for a solution to their RTL8723BE wireless adapter not working with Linux Mint, here is a summary of the steps that finally worked for me (instead of the kernel update which only made matters worse):

Summary of steps to get the RTL8723BE wireless adapter to work:
  1. Download https://github.com/kozak127/rtl8723be/a ... master.zip
  2. Extract the contents (Nemo's context menu let me do it). You get a folder called: rtl8723be-master
  3. DON'T change privilege settings of this folder.
  4. Then, in the terminal, enter the following command line instructions line by line, each followed by Enter and a wait for stuff to be finished:

cd /path/rtl8723be-master
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe rtl8723be
Note: (A) "/path" would be "/home" if you had placed rtl8723be-master into /home. (B) sudo requires your admin password, of course. (C) The line sudo modprobe rtl8723be gets the new driver running if you either don't have to or don't wish to restart.

As for the original topic of this thread (kernel upgrades), some conclusions:
  • Kernel update via the Software Manager as described here was easy and looks like it's reversible (The Install button in the Software Manager's View->Kernels dialog changes to Uninstall or Remove. at least while you are booted into that Kernel which - at - I am not.).
  • Sadly the kernel update (to what was available: 0-27) did not seem to help with my problem, at least at first. To the contrary: it broke additional stuff. Hence I wouldn't recommend it. OTOH, after fixing my Grub Menu and /etc/fstab to both use the mew UUID for the "/" clone partition and thus correctly boot into it, the wireless internet on kernel 3.13.0-27 now works; so apparently this kernel DOES fix the problem (at least with level 1-5 updates done, since I also did those in a last ditch effort). Still, this process is far more invasive, complicated, and error prone than the driver compilation described above in my "Summary of steps".
  • The question as where to get the specified kernel (0-30, which was supposed to solve my problem) was not solved here. (unless I overlooked it)
  • Gparted is probably not the best tool for cloning/imaging your working Mint OS, but it might be the only one with GUI already installed on the Mint distro ISO (and you can't have it make the clone while you are booted from the disk whose partitions you wish to clone -- so having a bootable DVD/CD matters here). You use it by "Copy" (source partition) and "Paste" (target partition). It copied not only my OS but all the empty space on the source partition, as well. Yikes! That took forever. I had a lot of free space! It probably wouldn’t work in the reverse direction (for a restore) because the original source partition is smaller... unless I successfully shrink the clone partition... The UUID update seems necessary because Gparted also copies the UUID and the Label. The label should also be changed to a non-duplicate (both of these updates/changes before the grub update), and - at least on my system - I found I had to update the UUID for the "/" mount in /etc/fstab on the clone partition, as well. Lots of manual tweaks to make the clone a truly separate entity Just some pointers for other newbies who want to try what was described earlier in this thread. :wink:
Last edited by Dirkoir on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
______

Spearmint2
Level 12
Level 12

Postby Spearmint2 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:50 pm

very good!

It copied not only my OS but all the empty space on the source partition, as well. Yikes! That took forever.

Quicker if you shrink that first part from the right side to just a bit larger than the data, then do the clone. You can restore it's size later. It also helps to fit a larger root partition into a smaller one when you have the room to do that.

Yes, forgot LABEL, should change that too.

Dirkoir
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Dirkoir » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:58 pm

Spearmint2 wrote:Quicker if you shrink that first part from the right side to just a bit larger than the data, then do the clone. You can restore it's size later. It also helps to fit a larger root partition into a smaller one when you have the room to do that.
I was afraid I might break my one and only good LM installation by shrinking its partition. I just don't know how safe that is. Having had to work in Windows for years, I got used to that being a risky thing to do. I prefer to make a reliable backup (image or clone) before I change anything which might break a golden system. I wonder if Gparted is the standard tool for such backups, although at least I can attest that the clone I made with it runs. :wink:
______

slipstick
Level 4
Level 4

Postby slipstick » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:07 pm

Dirkoir wrote: I prefer to make a reliable backup (image or clone) before I change anything which might break a golden system. I wonder if Gparted is the standard tool for such backups, although at least I can attest that the clone I made with it runs. :wink:

Lots of people use Clonezilla to make images or clones. Primitive user interface, but very popular.

Web site: http://clonezilla.org/
a tutorial: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/clonezilla.html
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

Return to “Newbie Questions”