I figured it out.
My trying to be proactive had interfered. Once I returned the owner and group to dirkoir, the make and install worked without error, and - what's more, a LOT more
- for the first time I am on my new E540 and
on the Internet at the same time! Yayyy!!! Thanks a million JeremyB!
I'll still have to see if I can replicate this success on my upcoming 64-bit Mint installation to the internal hard drive, and if the regular disconnects for which the RTL8723BE is infamous won't be a problem (the now installed driver was designed to handle exactly that problem, I think, so there's hope. So far, it's running stably).
@Spearmint2: Those prices are great! Thanks. OTOH, I have already tried a USB adapter work-around, without success. I had an old LinkSys WUSB54G v. 4 lying around and figured -- old as it is -- Linux must have adapted to it years ago. Well, my Mint install recognized it indeed and allowed me to try and connect, but it always failed to connect. On the 0-27 Kernel, it did not even get recognized, though -- same as the RTL8723BE, which makes me really scared of future Mint updates
since this means that upgrades can break formerly working things, and wireless Internet access is critical to a laptop's usefulness. I guess, once I get a working Mint installed on the internal drive, I'll have to figure out a way to create a backup image
of it for recovery purposes, ideally one which I can fit on a DVD or two. Suggestions welcome.
To other readers of this thread who arrived here looking for a solution to their RTL8723BE wireless adapter not working with Linux Mint, here is a summary of the steps that finally worked for me (instead of the kernel update which only made matters worse):Summary of steps to get the RTL8723BE wireless adapter to work:
- Download https://github.com/kozak127/rtl8723be/a ... master.zip
- Extract the contents (Nemo's context menu let me do it). You get a folder called: rtl8723be-master
- DON'T change privilege settings of this folder.
- Then, in the terminal, enter the following command line instructions line by line, each followed by Enter and a wait for stuff to be finished:
Code: Select all
sudo make install
sudo modprobe rtl8723be
: (A) "/path" would be "/home" if you had placed rtl8723be-master into /home. (B) sudo requires your admin password, of course. (C) The line sudo modprobe rtl8723be gets the new driver running if you either don't have to or don't wish to restart.As for the original topic of this thread (kernel upgrades), some conclusions
- Kernel update via the Software Manager as described here was easy and looks like it's reversible (The Install button in the Software Manager's View->Kernels dialog changes to Uninstall or Remove. at least while you are booted into that Kernel which - at - I am not.).
- Sadly the kernel update (to what was available: 0-27) did not seem to help with my problem, at least at first. To the contrary: it broke additional stuff. Hence I wouldn't recommend it. OTOH, after fixing my Grub Menu and /etc/fstab to both use the mew UUID for the "/" clone partition and thus correctly boot into it, the wireless internet on kernel 3.13.0-27 now works; so apparently this kernel DOES fix the problem (at least with level 1-5 updates done, since I also did those in a last ditch effort). Still, this process is far more invasive, complicated, and error prone than the driver compilation described above in my "Summary of steps".
- The question as where to get the specified kernel (0-30, which was supposed to solve my problem) was not solved here. (unless I overlooked it)
- Gparted is probably not the best tool for cloning/imaging your working Mint OS, but it might be the only one with GUI already installed on the Mint distro ISO (and you can't have it make the clone while you are booted from the disk whose partitions you wish to clone -- so having a bootable DVD/CD matters here). You use it by "Copy" (source partition) and "Paste" (target partition). It copied not only my OS but all the empty space on the source partition, as well. Yikes! That took forever. I had a lot of free space! It probably wouldn’t work in the reverse direction (for a restore) because the original source partition is smaller... unless I successfully shrink the clone partition... The UUID update seems necessary because Gparted also copies the UUID and the Label. The label should also be changed to a non-duplicate (both of these updates/changes before the grub update), and - at least on my system - I found I had to update the UUID for the "/" mount in /etc/fstab on the clone partition, as well. Lots of manual tweaks to make the clone a truly separate entity Just some pointers for other newbies who want to try what was described earlier in this thread.