32 bit vs 64 bit

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Trio3b
Level 2
Level 2

32 bit vs 64 bit

Post by Trio3b »

Have read many articles about architecture and what differences are from a technical standpoint but very few pros and cons from a user perspective.

Do not do gaming or video - mostly business, email and occasional youtube . Currently running LM 13 KDE 32 bit installed on an inspiron rated with 64 bit hdwr. All seems fine. Just shows 3gb of the 4 gb RAM. Now tried LM13 KDE-64 and don't see any appreciable difference except 3.9 gb RAM is recognized.

Will I notice any appreciable difference installing the 64 bit version?

Thanks

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit

Post by all41 »

I have cleanly installed both 32 and 64 bit Mint Mate on two separate 64bit capable computers--and could not observe any improvements or deficiencies either way.
Both systems had only 2Gb ram.

There was a recent post indicating that 64bit will use more ram than a 32bit install--I did not know this
I wish I had made more exacting observations, I was chasing some issues and thought maybe 32bit would solve my problems.
It did----but only because my 64bit install dvd was boogered.

I have reverted to 64bit everywhere.

EmpireITtech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by EmpireITtech »

There should not be much difference between the two systems. However if you have the hardware that supports 64-bit, I would advise just using 64-bit just in case you ever wanna spend 30 bucks and upgrade your RAM :mrgreen:
Linux: Mint 19 Tara Cinnamon 64-Bit

Box 1: Intel Core 2 Quad | 8gb RAM | 500gb WD 7200rpm | nVidia Geforce GTS250
Box 2: Intel Core i3-3240 | 4gb RAM | 1tb WD 7200rpm | AMD/ATI Radeon HD 4550

Pants: 32x30

BigSteve_G
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BigSteve_G »

To be honest I'd kinda say if you have over 4gig of memory go for 64bit but that said one thing to bear in mind is that memory usage & management is better under Linux than Windows anyway so I wouldnt say its a major problem.

Just to kinda get it in perspective I have a Mint 17 32-bit system with duel core 3gig cpu & 3gig of memory (due to a firmware error on the motherboard adding more than 3gig would require a BIOS flash anyway) & I can have a music player playing MP3s, a few folder windows open, 2 fire foxes running (1 normal 1 in private mode), chrome running, qbit-torrent running, DVD-styler encoding avi's to a full DVD format while playing OpenAreana / writing an ISO file to DVD - and its all runs without a glitch, my swap file is never touched & I never have memory / system problems.
I've fixed Windows, tried running with Jackalopes, fought Koalas & now, I'm addicted to Mints

Now with half a decade running Linux mint, still enjoying it & still learning!

http://www.facebook.com/itsbigsteve

Trio3b
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Trio3b »

I have 2x2gb sticks = 4gb total. Grass is always greener on the other side eh? Will probably try both with very unscientific benchmarks and post back when I get a chance.

Thanks

Return to “Newbie Questions”