linuxband how to install?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phazon1

linuxband how to install?

Post by phazon1 »

So, I have been using Mint and others for awhile, and since the first time I tried using linux in 2006, linux has come a ong way, especially when it comes to instaling new software. Now days, there is usually a really nice software center that lists apps to install. A simple click and you have a new app! Well, there are still some apps out there that require the "old fashioned" method. I would like to install "Linuxband" but it requires a few steps. There is a paragraph instructing how to install the program on the Linuxband website ( http://linuxband.org/documentation.html
Installation

Download the latest LinuxBand source code tarball from Downloads section.
To compile LinuxBand, run following commands in the extracted directory:
./configure
make
You can type ./configure --help to see a list of compilation options. After LinuxBand is compiled run:
make install
as root to install it.
This just does not seem to be descrptive enough for me, Can someone please give me some better more description on how to proceed?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phazon1

Re: linuxband how to install?

Post by phazon1 »

Note: I already downloaded the tar ball and extracted it, but the rest is greek to me. If I can follow the steps needed to do this, then I will be able to do it again with some other app hopefully.
Tuxon86
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tuxon86 »

Those commands means that Linuxband is distributed as source file that needs to be compiled.
First you have to install build-essentials with the help of apt-get in a terminal windows like:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

this will install all that is needed to compile from sources.

Then navigate to the Linuxband directory and type the following:

./configure

make

sudo make install
phazon1

Post by phazon1 »

Thanks for the response! Ok, so the "navigate to the linuxband directory" is the part that stumps me.

By that do you mean, navigate while in the terminal? I am not sure how to do that. I think it must be simple like entering the directory or something, but perhaps a hint on what you mean would nudge me past my blockage on this.

Thanks
phazon1

Post by phazon1 »

Actally, some very old memories are scratching there way to the top of my mind, I did seem to remember this was as simple as

Code: Select all

CD
then the name of the directory, and

Code: Select all

dir
shows me what is in the directory I am in....duh, like DOS....how did I forget that?

So, I am trying what you told me
phazon1

Post by phazon1 »

Ok

here is what I got
No package 'glib-2.0' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GLIB_CFLAGS
and GLIB_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.
any sugestions?
Tuxon86
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tuxon86 »

This piece of software was written with the Gnome2 graphic libs.
Most distribution have now moved to Gnome3. I don't know if it is possible to install the gnome2 libraries alongside the gnome3 ones.
Maybe someone else more qualified than me, has the answer.
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

Try this post, especially the last one, http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175417054/

Return to “Beginner Questions”