Error Message during Install

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Piggabelly06
Level 1
Level 1

Error Message during Install

Post by Piggabelly06 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:21 pm

Hi Everyone,
Im very new to this so please excuse my Newbish nature. Anyway Decided I would try to keep my Alienware m17 alive today by using Linux Mint. I booted it up from the DVD and I will say it runs far better then win7 and its only been a few minutes. I decided i would go ahead and install the OS so I clicked the icon and got started. My problem is that it poped up a screen asking where I'm from during the install. The title reads "where are you?" it has a little timezone map and has chicago defalut selected. but at the same time this screen showed up an Error meassage poped up on top of it. The error Message has a text bubble that has an X on it. Other than that the only text on the message is "??? ???" which is also the title of the error message. It has an OK button which does nothing when clicked and an X in the top right corner which does nothing when clicked. Im new to linux and can't seem to find anyone else ahving this issue, also six question marks with a space between them seems to be hard to search since it's not a word. Also The "WHere are you?" screen seems to not work while this error message is over top of it. Is there Some way to close the error manually? Do I need to restart my computer and give it another go?

Thanks for your help. I look forward to learning.

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Error Message during Install

Post by PatH57 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:40 am

Hi,

what version of Mint are you trying to install? and do you have internet access while installing?
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

Piggabelly06
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Piggabelly06 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Im installing mint 17. And yes I am connected to the internet. Yesterday some guys on Xchat told me I would need help setting up the partions with Gparted. And that some how I got messed up when trying to replace Windows 7 with linux mint 17 and isimply need someone to walk me through it. Or at least thats what they said.

I've tried to follow the manual partitioning guide to better understand What im doing wrong but neither Gparted or the Installer seem to allow me to do what I need to to do to set it up right. I think my partioning is what is causing my install so many issues. Nor do I think im on the right track when Im messing with gparted...If someone could point me in the right direction as to how to set up my partitions properly using gparted so that I can permanently install Linux Over my Operating system (which I think may have been over written already). I just feel like im messing things up more and more the more i try to fix the issue.

SeriesOfTubes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SeriesOfTubes » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:03 pm

Your install DVD might have burn errors or your disk drive could be malfunctioning. Try installing with a USB stick using software like unetbootin or rufus. Make sure you reformat your flash drive first.

Piggabelly06
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Piggabelly06 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:12 pm

SeriesOfTubes wrote:Your install DVD might have burn errors or your disk drive could be malfunctioning. Try installing with a USB stick using software like unetbootin or rufus. Make sure you reformat your flash drive first.
That Fixed It...I guess I was way over thinking the problem. Thank you

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:19 pm

I am glad you got it worked out !

Please go to your first post, click EDIT, and add [SOLVED] to the title.

Welcome to Mint and to the forum, Piggabelly06.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Newbie Questions”