Accessing data from Windows

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Joshual1177

Post by Joshual1177 »

Hello. I am brand new to Linux 17 KDE. I installed it alongside Windows 7.

When I installed Mint, I let the installer auto select the partitions instead of me manually messing it up. (I know very little when it comes to partitions).

I want to slowly move over to Mint as my primary OS but am limited in my hard drive storage. I would like to install a few programs that I like to use on Win7 such as iTunes and Spotify as well as several other.

I am concerned that I am going to run out of space if I do this and then I won't have any space left for new data.

I already know that I will be going through all of my pictures, music and videos on Windows to do some house cleaning. I know I have some multiples of files. My hard drive and directories are not well organized at all so it will take some time.

My other concern is once I do this, what is the best way to access all of my data on Linux without having to move/copy to my /home?

I would like to be able to open a music player for instance and have all of my music right there. Again, without having to move it. I would still like to be able access them from Windows as well in case my wife wants to use my computer.

I have browsed the newb section and really haven't found any answer to my issue.

I would definitely appreciate any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Accessing data from Windows

Post by Mark Phelps »

I would like to install a few programs that I like to use on Win7 such as iTunes and Spotify as well as several other.
Then, I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed ... because iTunes and Spotify don't work well in Linux. You should go to the WineHQ webpage for the Application Compatibility tool and look these up. You'll find recent iTunes versions rated Garbage, and Spotify rated Silver. Relying on Windows apps when using Linux is setting yourself up for frustration and disappointment.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

strictly speaking, it's easier to access files on the windows partition, from within the 'nix O/S,
than it is to access files on the 'nix partition, from within the windows O/S.

so place any data files on the windows side, where your wife can access them, from within the windows O/S,
and you can still access them from within your 'nix O/S. ..

- place the bigger music, pictures, movies, etc. onto a ext hdd, - that both O/Ss can access.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

My other concern is once I do this, what is the best way to access all of my data on Linux without having to move/copy to my /home?

You should already be able to access the files without moving/copying them: under "Places" (or something similar - depends on DE...?), you should see the windows partition, either already mounted or mountable by clicking on it.

My biggest linux install, with LibreOffice and plenty of other stuff, including /home, is less than 5G (with ~/.wine on a separate partition, slightly over 1G).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Joshual1177

Post by Joshual1177 »

Mark Phelps wrote:
I would like to install a few programs that I like to use on Win7 such as iTunes and Spotify as well as several other.
Then, I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed ... because iTunes and Spotify don't work well in Linux. You should go to the WineHQ webpage for the Application Compatibility tool and look these up. You'll find recent iTunes versions rated Garbage, and Spotify rated Silver. Relying on Windows apps when using Linux is setting yourself up for frustration and disappointment.
Well this is disappointing to say the least. Because these are the two most important programs I use on windows.

SeriesOfTubes

Post by SeriesOfTubes »

I know you said you don't want to move it, but if you stored all your media files on a NTFS formatted external hard drive you could access them in both Windows and Linux. As for software, Banshee works best for music libraries and VLC is outstanding for playing videos. You can install third party drivers in windows to access your linux partition, but it really isn't worth the hassle for what you're doing.
Joshual1177

Post by Joshual1177 »

SeriesOfTubes wrote:I know you said you don't want to move it, but if you stored all your media files on a NTFS formatted external hard drive you could access them in both Windows and Linux. As for software, Banshee works best for music libraries and VLC is outstanding for playing videos. You can install third party drivers in windows to access your linux partition, but it really isn't worth the hassle for what you're doing.
Thank you for your help. This will probably be what I end up doing. Seems to be easiest solution. At the moment I'm using Dropbox to access some of my files as well. Although again I'd be using extra storage and essentially having multiple copies of the same file but just on a different partition.

Joshual1177

Post by Joshual1177 »

One of the things that is difficult for me is that my emachines folder or windows folder is accessible in some apps but not others. For instance, I opened up Gimp and couldn't access any pictures on my windows partition. Would it be possible to have both my file explorer and Gimp open and drag and drop?

Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

did you 'mount' the windows partition,
- before you tried to access that data, - within Gimp?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Joshual1177

Post by Joshual1177 »

Pierre wrote:did you 'mount' the windows partition,
- before you tried to access that data, - within Gimp?.
I'm not sure how to do that.

Return to “Beginner Questions”