Newbie Considering Linux Mint-17-64bit Install .....

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimlp1

Newbie Considering Linux Mint-17-64bit Install .....

Post by jimlp1 »

Hello Everyone;
James here, from NM, I just spent the last 4-5 days fighting with Ubuntu 14.04 install on my AMD A8-3870 Quad APU, w/Gigabyte mobo, 8GB DDR3 memory, Windows 7-64-bit. I read posts, read books, read advice from others, tried.... and tried again to make Ubuntu work, Nothing,,,! The Main Problem, I had no Internet Access in Ubuntu, but I had it in Windows. My posts were detailed, replies said well try this, or try that, no help period because their terminal commands got kicked out of Ubuntu... probably because I could not update/upgrade Ubuntu w/out Internet Access. SO I tried to install Wine and then Cube64.zip, following the Tutorial's for both to the Letter...Frustrated and confused, I removed Ubuntu from my Dual-Boot system, repaired Windows 7, and now I'm looking at Mint-17 KDE... I searched for similar Post's on here but it showed 1,407 for Compatibility Issues, I read a few and the saw the thing I saw in Ubuntu.... Eventually, I'd like to phase out Windows 7 and just run Linux...if I can find a version that actually works..... It would Probably help If I wasn't lost in Linux, been running Windows since Work-Groups 3.11 up to Windows 7..... Ubuntu said Support was available....Where..? I sure didnt find any anywhere.... Is Linux Mint-17 going to be the same thing...?
James.....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Newbie Considering Linux Mint-17-64bit Install .....

Post by WharfRat »

James,

All linux distros have one thing in common and that's the kernel which provides the majority of hardware support.

Can you provide the link to your ubuntu support forum posts :?:
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you basically saying that neither LAN nor WLAN work? What does 'terminal commands [being] kicked out of Ubuntu' mean?

If your LAN or WLAN adaptor doesn't work in Ubuntu, you should first test them in Linux Mint, then if they still don't work, you should ask for help on here (or any other forum), stating your specific hardware and problems. The majority of network devices are usable in Linux. If however, there is no way to get them working, the only option is to find out which network adaptors do work well in Linux, and buy one and replace your current non-working one with it.

How did you install WINE without internet access? If I remember correctly, the last time I installed it, it had hundreds of dependencies that had to be downloaded too. Did you download them all using Windows 7 and install them all manually?

Are you saying Cube64.zip wouldn't install? Was this because you had no internet access?

The Ubuntu support you mention is for business customers that pay Canonical (the parent company of Ubuntu) for it. For private home users (and anyone else that doesn't pay), the sole Ubuntu-specific support is ubuntuforums.org and askubuntu.com.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Since Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, it's entirely possible that you will have the same troubles in Mint that you had in Ubuntu. But there's only one way to find out for sure: try to install Mint and see what happens. If you have problems, come back here and post the specifics of the problems. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here who will help if they can.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Falconus

Post by Falconus »

As buzzsaw mentioned, you can test Linux Mint. Download the image from the Mint website and burn it to a DVD as an image. Put it in your disk drive and reboot the computer. Your computer should start in Linux Mint. It will be slower than normal because it is running off of the DVD. Play around with it and launch Mozilla Firefox, which is included on the live DVD - see if you can get your internet working. It is easier to try it out with Ethernet, but the wireless should work on the live DVD as well (I am posting this from the live DVD over my wireless network).

If you are satisfied that it is working, then you can install it from the DVD. Please note that until you actually install Linux Mint, and run it from your hard drive, your configurations and files will not be saved.
jimlp1

Post by jimlp1 »

As for Ubuntu Install, it doesnt matter now, Its un-installed. For Wine & Cube64, I downloaded from internet in Windows (only way to have Internet access) copied .zips to Flash Drive after virus checks, then copied into ubuntu Home, opened terminal and ran the creators instructions for install, terminal didnt recognize any commands. Got, command not found, not valid and on and on.. frustrating. I did ask for help on Ask ubuntu site, one guy was helpful with try this, try that, nothing worked with Kernel 3.13...
Now I'm reading Mint's Tutorial, got to page 22 last night will continue today with remainder. So far it sounds really good. The PC has Ethernet card on board(realtech) but I'm in an RV so NO Dsl, cable, or dial up. Only using Free WiFi at RV park w/Belkin DB 600N USB Adapter on a 6' extension. I did not try Ubuntu Live, just Installed.... my mistake, I will try Mint Live before installing it if it works..... I maybe wrong but, I never checked the DVD burn with MD5, but the install was good, perhaps w/out Internet.. Ubuntu could not update/upgrade system files/repositories/etc...?
Thanks for all the comments and advice, if I didnt your post/reply I'm trying to put Ubuntu out of mind and concentrate on Mint, I'm sure it'll work for me....only 1 way to find out....try it..! I'll let ya'll know in a day or two....
James.....
Falconus

Post by Falconus »

Okay, I'm glad you are going to give it a whirl! Make sure you follow those directions very carefully and backup everything that you care about first (you should be fine if you follow the instructions, but better not to risk it).

I agree that you should do the MD5SUM check - it's pretty annoying having a screwy system right off the bat because the ISO was corrupted.

I hope it works for you!
jimlp1

Post by jimlp1 »

Hello again;
Today the Linux Mint was downloaded, MD5 checked, burned w/InfraRecorder, Booted to DVD. Mint came up, running LiveDVD, no Internet Access.... In MINT.... I do find solutions on the Net w/Windows 7 Internet Access, but all require Mint to have Internet connection like this one:
The Belkin F9L1101 is Based on the Realtek RTL8192 chipset, which has linux drivers available. So you can get this to install by downloading the RTL8192 driver source code and compiling.
sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic git
git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8192du.git
cd rtl8192du
make
sudo make install

modprobe 8192du
I had the same problem in Ubuntu Install..... Does anyone know how to D/L from Windows 7 Net connection, get file needed and reboot back to Mint & install...?
James....
Falconus

Post by Falconus »

If you have an extra USB flashdrive, can you start your computer on the live DVD, type in lspci -vvv and lsusb to the terminal and save the results to the USB drive?

1. Make sure you have your wireless adapter plugged in (very important)
2. Open terminal (start menu → accessories → terminal)
3. Type lspci -vvv
4. Highlight the output using your mouse
5. Either type CTRL+SHIFT+C or right click on the selected text and click "copy" to copy the output. Don't exit the terminal yet.
6. Open the text editor (Start Menu → accessories → Text Editor)
7. Paste by using the buttons on the task bar, the edit menu, or CTRL+V
8. File Save As, navigate to your flash drive, and save it as lspcioutput.txt
9. Repeat these steps, except use the command "lsusb" and paste those results into a different file (lsusboutput.txt for example)
10. Exit out of everything, reboot your computer into Windows and paste the output of those text files into this forum

Hopefully that will help us see where you are at.
jimlp1

Post by jimlp1 »

Falconus:
mint@mint ~ $ lspci -vvv
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Complex
Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Complex
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap- 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 32

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] BeaverCreek [Radeon HD 6550D] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device d000
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 52
Region 0: Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
Region 1: I/O ports at f800
Region 2: Memory at fdfc0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: radeon

00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] BeaverCreek HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6500D and 6400G-6600G series]
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device 1714
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 53
Region 0: Memory at fe01c000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

00:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Port (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
I/O behind bridge: 0000e000-0000efff
Memory behind bridge: fdb00000-fdbfffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000fde00000-00000000fdefffff
Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- <SERR- <PERR-
BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
PriDiscTmr- SecDiscTmr- DiscTmrStat- DiscTmrSERREn-
Kernel driver in use: pcieport

00:10.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB XHCI Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 30 [XHCI])
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device 5004
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 18
Region 0: Memory at fe028000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd

00:10.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB XHCI Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 30 [XHCI])
Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 17
Region 0: Memory at fe026000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd

00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 40) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device b002
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 32, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 51
Region 0: I/O ports at ff00
Region 1: I/O ports at fe00
Region 2: I/O ports at fd00
Region 3: I/O ports at fc00
Region 4: I/O ports at fb00 [size=16]
Region 5: Memory at fe02f000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
Kernel driver in use: ahci

00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB OHCI Controller (rev 11) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap- 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Region 0: Memory at fe02e000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Kernel driver in use: ohci-pci

00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB EHCI Controller (rev 11) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Region 0: Memory at fe02d000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci

00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB OHCI Controller (rev 11) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap- 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Region 0: Memory at fe02c000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB EHCI Controller (rev 11) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Region 0: Memory at fe02b000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci

00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 13)
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device 4385
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Status: Cap- 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Kernel driver in use: piix4_smbus

00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device a132
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
Region 0: Memory at fe020000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 11)
Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Device 439d
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle+ MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Latency: 0

00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH PCI Bridge (rev 40) (prog-if 01 [Subtractive decode])
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop+ ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Latency: 64
Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=64
I/O behind bridge: 0000d000-0000dfff
Memory behind bridge: fdd00000-fddfffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: fdc00000-fdcfffff
Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR- <PERR-
BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
PriDiscTmr- SecDiscTmr- DiscTmrStat- DiscTmrSERREn-

00:14.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB OHCI Controller (rev 11) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Interrupt: pin C routed to IRQ 18
Region 0: Memory at fe02a000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 0 (rev 43)
Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-

00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 1
Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 2
Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 3
Kernel driver in use: k10temp

00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 4

00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 6

00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 5

00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 7

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Motherboard
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 50
Region 0: I/O ports at ee00 [size=256]
Region 2: Memory at fdeff000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
Region 4: Memory at fdef8000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=16K]
Kernel driver in use: r8169

02:0e.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306/7/8 [Fire II(M)] IEEE 1394 OHCI Controller (rev c0) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd GA-7VT600-1394 Motherboard
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 32 (8000ns max), Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 22
Region 0: Memory at fddff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
Region 1: I/O ports at df00 [size=128]
Kernel driver in use: firewire_ohci

mint@mint ~ $

mint@mint ~ $ lsusb
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 154b:007a PNY
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 050d:110a Belkin Components
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c044 Logitech, Inc. LX3 Optical Mouse
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 009 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
mint@mint ~ $
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I maybe wrong but, I never checked the DVD burn with MD5, but the install was good, perhaps w/out Internet.. Ubuntu could not update/upgrade system files/repositories/etc...?
You can boot to the disk and choose "check integrity" and it will check to see all the checksums are correct or not to determine if you have a good burn to the DVD.

Unless what you want is on the DVD and you have set it in the install as a repository, then you do have to be connected to do updates from the repositories.

Since you are using wifi at an RV, you should check the settings you have in windows for SSID, any static IP address that/if may be assigned, make sure you match those settings in the Linux too so you can get access to the RV wifi system.

Code: Select all

inxi -Nn
will give you info when run in terminal on your Linux wifi setup.

Your adapter shouldn't be a problem since Nadia, version 14 at least. See the hardware section below.

http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/view/15044

Reviews at Amazon when used with Linux. Note the N300 may do better than the N600, but both should work.

similar thread, and solution.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... t=+rtl8192
https://github.com/pvaret/rtl8192cu-fix ... /README.md

If all else fails, spend $10 for one known to work with the rtl8188 driver.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
jimlp1

Post by jimlp1 »

Spearmint2:
Hello: thanks for the reply, I rebooted to Linux Mint to try your inxi -Nn, I ran Integrity check at boot, I guess it was ok cuz it stopped and said, "press any key to re-boot", which I did. On reboot Mint came up but my Mouse died, its an optical Mouse, shortly after that my Keyboard died....I had to Tab out of Mint. and shut-down.... So here I am in Windows 7 again.... I also got a chance to run Compatibility Mode at Boot-up, it scrolled so fast couldnt read it....then things froze and died... I've been on this all day, since I burnt the new DVD....still have the same problems....as before... really gets my goat that Linux releases a new Version and it cant work.. worth a darn.... I read over 300 post's at another site where everyone was tickeled pink about how great Mint is now w/new release..... bah humbug...!
James...
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Is windows installed on it and working OK? Both keyboard and mouse making me wonder if a hardware problem. May we assume they are both USB? Do you have USB enabled in the BIOS?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
jimlp1

Post by jimlp1 »

Spearmint2:
I'm running Gigabyte MOBO, GA-A75M-UD2h w/AMD A8-series 3870-Quad-APU, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, 1-128GB ssd, 2-500GB HDD's, USB-2.0/3.0 ports, Windows 7-64-bit, SP1... All runs just fine in Windows..! I was reading this morning some of the apps/programs in Mint. I came across: USB-MODESWITCH, it stated that Oubuntu at Boot-up see's USB devices that are plugged in and "Flashing" as USB-Storage devices and NOT USB-WiFi Adapters. the USB-modeswitch is a program/driver to change USB-Storage to USB-Serial.... Could this have something to do with it..?
I've downloaded serveal rtl8192du-master, rtl8192su-master, drivers from the Web. But I cant install them in Mint while running in LiveDVD, and I wont Install Mint on my HDD until the Wifi is working......!!!!! Without Internet connection I can not upgrade anything in Mint..! I'm on SSDI disability and I cant afford to go buy another USB-dongle when the one I have works fine in Windows..! I've burnt 2 DVD's with Mint ISO, 1-in Imgburn, 1-in InfraRecorder... I'm going to try and Burn another one in Windows, although the MD5, before and after burn say they're OK..... Something just isnt right.!!!! But I wont give up just yet.... What really gets my Goat is doing all this reading, think I find a solution, I copy and paste the solution into Windows Notepad. I try the solutions in Mint and the GD commands I put in the Terminal from the solution say, command not found, or invalid command, or some other %&*$ thing...! That's what is Frustrating about the LiveDVD experience......... Do you know anything about that USB-modeswitch....?

James.....
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

those ultra durable Gigabyte motherboards are great. I prefer them for mine also.
I came across: USB-MODESWITCH, it stated that Oubuntu at Boot-up see's USB devices that are plugged in and "Flashing" as USB-Storage devices and NOT USB-WiFi Adapters. the USB-modeswitch is a program/driver to change USB-Storage to USB-Serial.... Could this have something to do with it..?
It might, I only use a wireless for a laptop once in a while on road on a Linux computer. So, it usually gets plugged in after boot. The other two wifi computers in house are wife and child in W7 and XP respectively. I run ethernet on mine.
But I cant install them in Mint while running in LiveDVD, and I wont Install Mint on my HDD until the Wifi is working......!!!!!
OK, now this is an interesting thing. First off, it's incorrect. You CAN install programs and devices while booted to a LIVE DVD, it just won't be there again when you reboot. So, you CAN install and check out a program or device driver while LIVE to see if it will work for an installed system. Of course once you install the system to hard drive you'd then have to repeat the action to make it work in the installed system.

I will prove this to you. Run the following in terminal and you will get a game less than 1 MB in size installed while in LIVE DVD mode.

sudo apt-get install maelstrom; maelstrom
if it doesn't open on it's own, then run this in terminal;

maelstrom
So, this wwill show you that you can download, run or compile and run the files needed to test drivers for a particular device.

If you are going to compile it yourself, then first download and install "build-essential". You may already noticed this thread at the top of the Newbie forum.

I also notice you've not yet provided the wireless device as Linux sees it. Boot to the LIVE DVD or USB, plug in the wireless device if needed (if not on motherboard), and then run the following and paste results.

inxi -Nn
jimlp1

Post by jimlp1 »

*Spearmint2*
I'm back: I did all that you suggested, with Maelstrom game here's the result:
mint@mint ~ $ sudo apt-get install maelstrom; maelstrom
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
libsdl-net1.2
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libsdl-net1.2 maelstrom
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 852 kB of archives.
After this operation, 2,737 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
Err http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe libsdl-net1.2 amd64 1.2.8-4
Could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com'
Err http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/multiverse maelstrom amd64 1.4.3-L3.0.6+main-4
Could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com'
E: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/u ... _amd64.deb Could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com'

E: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... _amd64.deb Could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com'

E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?
The program 'maelstrom' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install maelstrom
mint@mint ~ $
You have to realize that I DO NOT have internet access/connection in Linux/Mint-17.... That's why I can't download & install anything from Mint.....

now for the 2nd part: I am not going to "Compile" anything just yet, I'm a Newbie to Linux.... dont know squat about it, trying to learn it. Plus I can not download "build-essentials" w.out Internet connection in Linux....

3rd part: In my earlier Post here to "Falconus"--- Look up ^ there's a large White page w/ outputs from hardware and 1 from Wifi.... I'm using a Belkin usb wifi adapter, it works great in Windows 7.........

4th Part: I ran your inxi-Nn in the terminal, here's those results:

mint@mint ~ $ inxi-Nn
inxi-Nn: command not found
mint@mint ~ $
This is what I've been going through since the 10th, everything that I do or try I get the same results.....!
James.....
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

inxi space DASH Nn

inxi -Nn
that's why copy/paste should be used for terminal commands given.

This rtl8192cu has been giving many problems running in linux.

I don't know of any easy fix for you. You can blacklist it and see if another device driver already installed will work with it, like the rtl8188 which doesn't have such problems. When it comes to wifi, it's the one most important piece of hardware that one should make sure to get one that is known to work in latest linux versions.
Falconus

Post by Falconus »

If you don't wish to install Linux Mint to your Hard Drive, there may be another option. If you have a flashdrive or external hard drive (greater than 6GB, I believe), you can install Linux Mint and boot from that device. Be forewarned that doing so will delete everything off of that device unless you repartition it. This would potentially give you an opportunity to mess around with it where your changes are saved.

Beyond that, I do not really know how to help you. I do not have your wifi device, so I am not able to test or verify any solutions. Most of the popular hardware works just fine with Linux Mint, either out of the box or with minor effort. Unfortunately, however, as you have discovered, there are still devices that do not work very well. It is a catch-22 in your case, because it is very difficult for you to get the internet working without the internet.

If it is really an issue with the driver and missing packages and you do not have any kind of internet connection wihile Mint is running, the only option is to download those packages and drivers on Windows and transfer them to your Linux computer either by memory stick or by accessing your Windows files directly from Linux (be careful if you decide to do that - changes to your Windows file system are permanent). Once you have all of the proper packages/drivers, you can install them. If they are .deb packages, you can open them with the package installer (right click on the .deb file's icon) or install them via the command line. Unfortunately, if they have dependencies that are not already installed on Mint, you will also need to download those .deb files. Compiling the drivers yourself can be a challenge for a new user. It sounds like you have been reading up on how to do that, but experience leads me to suspect that it is unlikely to be a simple solution.

If you ever get the chance to have access to ethernet, it could make your task simpler.

Otherwise, this forum may be helpful to you. It is a couple of years out of date, but it might still be useful.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=94495

Good luck!
jimlp1

Post by jimlp1 »

Problem Solved, I went back Windows 7.....

Return to “Beginner Questions”