Need Help........ Folders and icon and changed to non-GUI

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
sbodavul
Level 1
Level 1

Need Help........ Folders and icon and changed to non-GUI

Post by sbodavul »

Hi there,

I am a newbie to linux and have installed Linux mint 17 Cinnamon verison and till now haven't encountered any problems.
Suddenly today when i something gone wrong and my folders and icons chaged to old/textual theme like in windows.
I am attaching the screenshots of it so can any one of you plz help me out in restoring the colors which were installed defaulty.

So can any one plz help me out in restoring the default folder and graphics that were there and any possible guesses why did the graphics turned out like that.. so that i can be enlightened.
Just now i chekced once again with root privilages and everything seems to be normal in it, but not in the normal privilages :(
Attachments
Screenshot2.png
expat_tony
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Need Help........ Folders and icon and changed to non-GU

Post by expat_tony »

I've had exactly what you describe, also in the last couple of days. The "crappy old theme" seems to be one from Gnome days. I was trying out Firebug (HTML/CSS editor)when it happened, but I know a third person who was doing something completely different.
Two people have separately and successfully tried the following solution; one who also needed to recover Cinnamon, one who tried it on a working system to help me. He commented that none of his customisations were lost in the reinstall:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon
Just try it, I'm going to. But first could you tell me what graphics driver you're running? You can see it either in Driver Manager or with inxi -G in the terminal. My driver is nVidia 331. There are two other threads about this issue, makes at least four of us, so it looks like a bug.
sbodavul
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sbodavul »

Thanks tony for your reply.

From few days i was away from my system and when i restarted once everything went to normal somehow.
But i still consider this to be a bug that pops up because of some compatible issues, for me i tried to remember when it happened and found that after watching a movie in SMplayer and after closing it.. i noticed this change....
As for as graphics driver i will ping u tomorrow as i don't have internet connection at home.
expat_tony
Level 4
Level 4

Post by expat_tony »

We think it's due to a bug that was reported recently in Ubuntu, which of course underlies quite a few features of Mint
You can read more here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=177987 - especially from near the end of the first page and onward.
But there's not a lot we can do until they fix the bug in Ubuntu and then the Mint guys include the fix in an update.
It's said that you can reinstall Cinnamon to fix it, and it won't affect your saved settings. But I haven't tried that. If it happens again and you want to try, do this at the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon
sbodavul
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sbodavul »

Thanks tony... :)
Romus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Romus »

I am experiencing the same problem.
But that isn't the only problem:
-i can't change my background at all.
-background is black and text of applications doesn't show.
-Taskbar was about 2 mm High,had to resize it to MAX.(but that is probably because of 4k display)
-Theme can't be changed, seems to be a mixture of cinnamon(taskbar), gnome(icons) and mint aqua(buttons)
However, the worst part is that Terminal isn't working so i can't install packages(or update them) and can't reinstall mint as many of you suggested
Thank you for any kind of help

Return to “Newbie Questions”