wallpapers [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

wallpapers [SOLVED]

Post by siawacsh »

Can any one tell me how I can access the default wallpapers in Mint 17?

Is it /usr/ directory? If so, where or which subdirectory. I would like to print and frame a couple of them.

Thanks
Siawach
Last edited by siawacsh on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ceilidh2
Level 4
Level 4

Re: wallpapers

Post by Ceilidh2 »

"Wallpaper" is the word in Window$.
Don't know about Cinnamon, but Mate calls them "Backgrounds", and they can be viewed from Menu > Control Centre > Appearance > Background. Hovering my pointer over them tells me they are located in /usr/share/backgrounds, and a trip there confirms it.
They are openable in GIMP, so printing them shouldn't be a problem. They are only 2000x1500 pixels, so resolution won't be great at poster size.
"Take it easy, but take it." Woody Guthrie

roger25118
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roger25118 »

I'm running LM 17 Cinnamon, the only backgrounds that are there is some that are not listed in Preferences - Backgrounds. Hovering the mouse nor right clicking gives ant information. My guess is that the OP is running Cinamon and wants the folder that shows the background from Preferences - Backgrounds. I would not mind myself to know where the folder is. Never mind, I found the correct folder. It is in /usr/share/background/linuxmint-qiana
Quad booting Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon, Ultimate Edition 4.2, Netrunner 14 and Windows 8.1

ASRock 990 FX Extreme4 MB
AMD FX 8350 4.0 GHz - eight cores
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB
Radeon HD 7870 video card
CORSAIR AX750 PS

Registered Linux user #564681

siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

Thanks to Roger and Ceilidh2. That was very helpful.

Siawacsh

expat_tony
Level 4
Level 4

Post by expat_tony »

If you wouldn't mind editing the title line of your opening post to include [SOLVED], then other new users can more easily find an answer if they have the same question. Thanks

Return to “Newbie Questions”