First 10 things to do on new boot up

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
euan
Level 1
Level 1

First 10 things to do on new boot up

Post by euan »

I found this site to set up Ubuntu up and running. Works a treat but I prefer mint, what changes are needed
making for mint? Is anything missing?

http://howtoubuntu.org/things-to-do-aft ... rusty-tahr

How I find it on mint so far.

1- No idea about this.
2 - This starts but locks up half way through.
3 - This seems to work, but not used most of the packages.
4 - Seems okay
5 - Seems okay
6 - Seems okay
7 - This works but most likely needs a tweak.
8 – This didn't open but I think it should.
9 - This works and gets Java running as well.
10 – Seems okay

Thanks
Thommo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: First 10 things to do on new boot up

Post by Thommo »

I use this site to finish off Mint installation, everything seems to work though not sure about enabling level 4 & 5 updates?

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... amon-first
Mint17 Qiana 64 Bit Cinnamon DT
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

1. Not needed on Linux Mint.
2. If you want to; doesn't really serve a purpose for me. Are you going to install stuff from there? Else it just slows all package management operations down.
3. If you want to; you don't need to add any PPAs—it will not improve stability to do so and will slow down all package management operations, hence add a PPA only if YOU specifically need something from it. Not because some "top 10 things to waste your time with" list told you to.
4 & 5 & 6. Please... There is no need for using terminal on Linux Mint, unless you want to. Just use Update Manager (shield icon in your panel); which adds information to updates and allows you to choose which to install.
7. Linux Mint comes with all essentials AFAIK.
8. Use Driver Manager from your menu. Don't add drivers unless something doesn't work good. ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it.")
9. OMG! Please, if you want Google Chrome just visit https://www.google.com/chrome. Download the .deb file for your architecture (32 bit or 64 bit) and double-click the downloaded file in your file manager to install it. At least you'll know what you are doing.
10. Don't run commands unless you know EXACTLY what they are going to do...

So yeah, I think this is a pretty horrible and time wasting list for Linux Mint :|

If I had to pick a top 10 list of things to do after installing Linux Mint it would be:
1. Read the user guide if you are new to Linux Mint: http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php
2. Apply updates through Update Manager.
3. Read introduction to how to install software on Linux Mint, if you are new to Linux: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=97158
4 - 10. Have fun :D
nomko

Post by nomko »

1- No idea about this.
You can forget this
2 - This starts but locks up half way through.
removed and removed aere not really needed
3 - This seems to work, but not used most of the packages.
Don't add PPA's like that, not even when some so-called how-to or help site wants you to do so. This is just plain dumb advise to follow up.
4 - Seems okay
5 - Seems okay
6 - Seems okay
this is the first thing to do after installing Linux Mint: update Mint using the Update Manager (or as in this example running a terminal command but ther safest way is using the Update Manager)!!!
7 - This works but most likely needs a tweak.
Mint comes out-of-the-box and doesn't really need all those extra packages since Mint is installed with full multimedia support. Ubuntu lacks full multimedia support. Do not execute point 7!!!
8 – This didn't open but I think it should.
Second thing to do after installing Mint: install additional drivers. The location for the Additional driver menu under Mint differs from Ubuntu.
9 - This works and gets Java running as well.
Chrome is a good webbrowser. I'm using it and bever had any issue with it.
10 – Seems okay
No problem with that. always a good thing to do cleaning up Linux.

IN THE FUTURE, NEVER USE AN UBUNTU HOW-TO FOR MINT TO FINALIZE YOUR MINT INSTALLATION SINCE MINT DIFFERS FROM UBUNTU AT SOME POINTS. UBUNTU IS ONLY THE PACKAGE-BASE FOR MINT, NOTHING MORE.
I Know Nothing
Level 1
Level 1

Post by I Know Nothing »

xenopeek wrote: If I had to pick a top 10 list of things to do after installing Linux Mint it would be:
1. Read the user guide if you are new to Linux Mint: http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php
I really think the user guide (if it's the same as when I skimmed through it a few months ago) needs a complete rewrite. It manages to be both too technical by introducing users new to linux to unfamiliar terms without bothering to explain what they mean yet also incredibly patronising by treating you like a 5yr old child that needs encouragement. It also goes into some irrelevent (for a user guide at least) things like the principles behind open source software in way too much depth and omits lots of things that people actually might like to know. I was honestly quite shocked that such a decent professional operating system as linux mint would publish it.
niowluka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by niowluka »

Just 2 cents from me:
1. no
2. no
3. just add specific PPA for the specific software you want and is not available in repos
4. yes
5. I don't see any advantage (and quite a few drawbacks) of regularily updating all packages (except security updates), but that's a matter of personal preference
6. risky and not necessary on a fresh install of latest Mint
7. gimp ? ffmpeg2theora ?? ubuntu-wallpapers ?! I think our understanding of 'essentials' differs vastly... just install what you need as you need it, not what someone else thinks you might need sometime in the future...
8. only specific drivers and only if default ones don't work
9. personal preference
10. except the last command, other won't do much on a fresh install. they won't do any harm either though...

11. I am generally against following such tutorials. Oftentimes they recommend running risky commands and, by default, they are generalizing, when Linux is about personalizing...
Mint 17 Openbox (MATE) 64bit | Linux 4.1.6 (Vanilla)

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H | AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz | G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 RipjawsX, F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | MSI R7 260X 2048 MB GDDR5 OC
euan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by euan »

Thanks some good advise for me to use this weekend when I do a reboot.
D'Antrim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by D'Antrim »

Only 5 things I consider necessary after a clean install are....

1 Install updates - level 1 + 2 these are tested / approved
2 Install display driver - ATI / Nvidia
3 Install Wine - Oh the joys of gaming
4 Install Pinta - graphics package similair to MSpaint
5 Install Gpart + Gparted - disc partition / formating tools

But as with anything it is really personal preference / needs, which you only get through trial and error. To me the joy of linux mint is that no additional software is really required 'out of the box' to have a stable, usable OS.

Return to “Newbie Questions”