Should I Upgrade P4 Computer To Mint 17 Mate???

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ow That Hurts
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ow That Hurts »

Hi everyone:

Wondering if I should upgrade my current installation of Mint 13 Mate to Mint 17 Mate.

My computer is kind of old...

P4, 2.6Ghz with Hyper Threading, 1 gig ram, 120 gig HD

Normally I would leave well enough alone. However, my partition for mint is almost running out of room (I have XP and Bodhi Linux on the drive as well).

So I thought, as long as I might have to repartition / install, I might as well see if it would be better to install Mint 17 instead.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ClutchDisc

Re: Should I Upgrade P4 Computer To Mint 17 Mate???

Post by ClutchDisc »

Download Mint 17 Mate and either run it off of a DVD or USB drive (USB drive will be faster) and give it a test drive off of the "live" system. Make sure everything works ok, and if it does, install Mint 17. Mint 17 is much better than 13 in my opinion.
Ow That Hurts
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ow That Hurts »

Thanks for the tip.

Once I download it to a USB drive, do I have to do anything special to run it in live mode? (Do I need to burn the iso using a special program to the thumb drive).

Thanks in advance.
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

Install "Unetbootin" on your Mint 13 and run that.. it's pretty easy to use and will make the USB bootable. WARNING make sure you don't have anything on the USB drive as this will wipe the USB drive clean.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

ClutchDisc wrote:Install "Unetbootin" on your Mint 13 and run that.. it's pretty easy to use and will make the USB bootable. WARNING make sure you don't have anything on the USB drive as this will wipe the USB drive clean.
I like the dd method explained by Clem, the lead developer of Mint
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/744

It would be helpful to know if your CPU is PAE or non-PAE
Enter the command:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cpuinfo
See if "pae" is listed in the Flags section.

EXAMPLE:
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
BlackVeils

Post by BlackVeils »

if you use unetbootin from mint 13 to create mint 17 usb, you might have to get unetbootin from the website for an uptdated version, or it will fail to boot properly.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
uncndl1

Post by uncndl1 »

Mint 13 has usb creator / image writer. You can dowliad 17 (XFCE) and burn to usb with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hugo Notte

Post by Hugo Notte »

I found on slower systems, Mint 17 to take up quite a bit of CPU time in idle. That is with Cinnamon, Mate, KDE & XFCE desktop. Give it a try and if in the live session the idle CPU load is higher than 10% try Netrunner. It's another Ubuntu based distro, which runs on my AMD E-450 netbook at around 8-10% CPU load, while all Mint 17 editions I have tried idle at 30-40%.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Hugo Notte wrote:I found on slower systems, Mint 17 to take up quite a bit of CPU time in idle. That is with Cinnamon, Mate, KDE & XFCE desktop. Give it a try and if in the live session the idle CPU load is higher than 10% try Netrunner. It's another Ubuntu based distro, which runs on my AMD E-450 netbook at around 8-10% CPU load, while all Mint 17 editions I have tried idle at 30-40%.
YMMV.
Netrunner is nice, but on my old Dell laptop, Netrunner 2014 used a lot more memory than Mint 17 xfce.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I would get a larger, newer hard drive.

120GB is "tiny" by today's standards.
wwfwng
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wwfwng »

My advice is not to do it. I have an old laptop. Mint 13 runs fine and Mint 15 ran slow.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

wwfwng wrote:My advice is not to do it. I have an old laptop. Mint 13 runs fine and Mint 15 ran slow.
Agree.
That jogged my memory. My old Dell worked better with Mint 13 than with Mint 17.
Linux Linx 2018
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Mint 16 ran leaner than Mint 17, for me. Too bad it wasn't the LTS release.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Beginner Questions”