Can't create a Live USB with a bigger persistent drive

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
SleepyWeasel
Level 1
Level 1

Can't create a Live USB with a bigger persistent drive

Post by SleepyWeasel »

Alright so I've searched for an answer to this and came up dry so here goes:

I know this topic is EVERYWHERE because I found the how-to a million different places, but I can't get it to work no matter how I do it. I'm trying to use a LinuxMint17 64bit cinnamon Live USB to create a second LinuxMint17 64bit cinnamon Live USB stick with more than a 4GB persistent partition. I've followed many, many how-to's and none of them will work. Currently I'm using this one:http://www.pendrivelinux.com/create-a-l ... partition/
and every time I click the checkmark to apply the two pending operations it brings up the progress window for a split second and then GParted just closes with no error message, no warning, no nothing. It just closes, and it doesn't apply the changes. I go in and open it again and that partitions haven't changed. I boot from it and check the free space and it still just says the same 4gb I started with. This seems to be the most common way people are saying to go about what I'm trying to do, but I'm going crazy here. What am I doing wrong?

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Can't create a Live USB with a bigger persistent drive

Post by Mute Ant »

''What am I doing wrong?'' Are you starting the machine with both sticks plugged in? Casper uses the first one it finds with a [.disk] folder in the root, and Murphy's Law guarantees it will be the one you want to modify. Get Mint running from one stick, start [gparted], plug in the stick you want to change, use Control-R to refresh the device list. Does it behave now?
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

SpookyWatcher
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SpookyWatcher »

have you tried just installing linux to the USB as if it were a hard drive? I did it on the new SanDisk 64 GB 3.0 USB Fit drive and it worked perfectly. I made sure I disconnected my existing hard drives from the laptop to ensure that grub didn't "see" them. This way if I want to boot to the USB I just hit F12 (for my laptop) while booting then choose boot from the USB and viola. I have a 64GB "HDD" running a different distro. Infact replying on it now. I created a 2 GB swap. 30 GB root, and the rest of the 32 GB went to the /home. Surprisingly it's working rather well. I reccomend disconnecting your existing HDDs while installing, then when done put them back in, and then just use your spefic computer's boot selector to boot to the USB instead of grub.

Hope it helped. I'm extremely tired so not sure if above made sense.

Spooky

LesStrater
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LesStrater »

Follow the instructions here:
http://tuxtweaks.com/2014/03/create-lin ... -live-usb/
And I recommend you download the Gparted Live ISO, burn it to a CD, then boot it and setup your flashdrive partitions before you put your Live Mint installation on it with UNetBootin. I've done this several times and it works perfectly.

With that said, I have to echo Spooky's comments above. The only reason to run a Live USB version of any distro is to check it out for a few days to see if you like it. If you do, and still want to run it off a flashdrive, you need to install it on the flashdrive. Even with a persistent partition you will be very limited with what you can do with a Live Demo version. Don't expect to get hibernation to work (I struggled with that for days), and don't be surprised when system files you modify revert back to the default file whenever you restart the machine. I wasn't even able to add a new launcher to the menu using the default "MInt" login.

Now I'm running LMCE-17/64 (installed) on a 32gb USB 3.0 flashdrive and it's working extremely well for me. I dumped the Grub menu and changed my BIOS settings to boot off "USB Memory" first. So if the flashdrive is plugged in it boots Linux, if not plugged in it boots Windows off my HDD.
Using Google Chrome is equivalent to buying your food at a grocery store owned by Monsanto.

SleepyWeasel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SleepyWeasel »

Mute Ant wrote:''What am I doing wrong?'' Are you starting the machine with both sticks plugged in? Casper uses the first one it finds with a [.disk] folder in the root, and Murphy's Law guarantees it will be the one you want to modify. Get Mint running from one stick, start [gparted], plug in the stick you want to change, use Control-R to refresh the device list. Does it behave now?
No I'm booting with just the one stick in and then inserting the other and refreshing.
SpookyWatcher wrote:have you tried just installing linux to the USB as if it were a hard drive? I did it on the new SanDisk 64 GB 3.0 USB Fit drive and it worked perfectly. I made sure I disconnected my existing hard drives from the laptop to ensure that grub didn't "see" them. This way if I want to boot to the USB I just hit F12 (for my laptop) while booting then choose boot from the USB and viola. I have a 64GB "HDD" running a different distro. Infact replying on it now. I created a 2 GB swap. 30 GB root, and the rest of the 32 GB went to the /home. Surprisingly it's working rather well. I reccomend disconnecting your existing HDDs while installing, then when done put them back in, and then just use your spefic computer's boot selector to boot to the USB instead of grub.

Hope it helped. I'm extremely tired so not sure if above made sense.

Spooky
This is actually a really good idea. It occurred to me early on but I didn't think it would work so I didn't try. I will try tonight and see if I can get it to work.
LesStrater wrote:With that said, I have to echo Spooky's comments above. The only reason to run a Live USB version of any distro is to check it out for a few days to see if you like it. If you do, and still want to run it off a flashdrive, you need to install it on the flashdrive. Even with a persistent partition you will be very limited with what you can do with a Live Demo version. Don't expect to get hibernation to work (I struggled with that for days), and don't be surprised when system files you modify revert back to the default file whenever you restart the machine. I wasn't even able to add a new launcher to the menu using the default "MInt" login.

Now I'm running LMCE-17/64 (installed) on a 32gb USB 3.0 flashdrive and it's working extremely well for me. I dumped the Grub menu and changed my BIOS settings to boot off "USB Memory" first. So if the flashdrive is plugged in it boots Linux, if not plugged in it boots Windows off my HDD.
Thanks for the heads up about the limitations of the live boot, that is gonna be important since I'm actually going to try and play games off of this thing. Mine has been able to save settings and whatnot but this whole changing the partitions around after the fact thing doesn't work at all. Is it possible that it just can't be done that way with the newer versions of the OSs?

I'm going to try the native install idea tonight and see what happens. I'll let you guys know how it goes. If it works you've saved me a huge headache! Thanks a ton!

SleepyWeasel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SleepyWeasel »

Update: I went ahead and did the install idea and it appears to be working perfectly :D

I really appreciate the help with that, I've been driving my coworker crazy I think.

I am still annoying curious as to why the original method didn't work despite all the claims that it should but I have enough self control not to continue trying it.

SleepyWeasel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SleepyWeasel »

Update again: Well, I thought this was solved but now I have a problem. The USB stick with LinuxMint17 on it will only boot in the computer I used to make it(my desktop). If i put it in my laptop and boot it, I get the message "No operating system found". If I put it in my desktop at work and boot it I get no message, just a frozen black screen with a cursor on it. I was able to get multiple Live USBs to boot perfectly between the afforementioned three computers, but now that it's installed like a hard drive it doesnt work in deifferent ones. It seems worth noting that i used a SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32gb USB 2.0 flash drive and createtd a 9.6gb Swap and a 22gb Main. All the computers in question are running Windows natively, my desktop and laptop are both Win8.1 64bit and my work desktop is Win7(assuming 32bit but not sure).

Is this normal or did I do something wrong? Should I post this as a new question?

Thanks again!

Return to “Newbie Questions”