(SOLVED) XFCE and Mint XFCE

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
amasa
Level 1
Level 1

(SOLVED) XFCE and Mint XFCE

Post by amasa »

Is there any connection between Xfce and Mint Xfce?
Last edited by amasa on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: XFCE and Mint XFCE

Post by Neil Edmond »

What kind of connection are you wondering about?

amasa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amasa »

Good question.

I raised my question because of a question on another forum, nothing to do with Mint, and I noticed that gthe questionner was using XFCE on Fedora. The answer to his question is reasonably straight forward in Mint XFCE, so I wondered whether the answer would be relevant to XFCE on Fedora. Hence, as I say, my question. Perhaps instead of saying "connection" I should have said something like:

Is there any relational connection between XFCE and Mint XFCE. That is, is one derived from the other, or a fork of the other (if fork is the right term). Does what gets done in Mint XFCE also get done in XFCE? If they are the same, why are there two, and if they are not the same, why do they use the same name.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

XFCE is a desktop environment that can be installed in a variety of operating systems and distros. Mint is one of the distros that uses XFCE (also Mate, Cinnamon, and KDE desktop environments are available to run in Mint). I'm sure if Mint people find a bug in XFCE, they will report it to the XFCE people "upstream." Each distro that uses XFCE has the right to modify it to suit their own needs, but I suspect most distros will just use it as is. Much or all of what you know about XFCE in one distro should carry over to another distro.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

niowluka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by niowluka »

Lot's of questions here, but the answer is kinda short: it depends.

XFCE is a Desktop Environment, which is your GUI, a 'front end' so to speak. It's a set of various programs and libraries designed to work together in a full desktop suite, but also as separate modules (e.g. Thunar is XFCEs default file manager, but I use it in my MATE-based Mint). There is one XFCE as such, but but the actual implementation in various distros will differ: it will be packaged differently, use different versions, different sets of programs and libraries, and so on.

If it's exact same problem in Mint and Fedora, then chances are that the solution is also exactly same. Although it could be just slightly different, or completely different... it depends :wink:
Mint 17 Openbox (MATE) 64bit | Linux 4.1.6 (Vanilla)

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H | AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz | G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 RipjawsX, F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | MSI R7 260X 2048 MB GDDR5 OC

amasa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amasa »

thanks all

Return to “Newbie Questions”