Color scheme changed by itself and some other problems

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
YKY
Level 1
Level 1

Color scheme changed by itself and some other problems

Post by YKY »

Hi! I am not sure where to start to describe my problem.

When Mint was booting I pressed an arrow key and LM logo dissapeared form the screen. I pressed it again and it reapeared. After that when I loged into the system all icons changed color, folder icons on desktop became beige instead of green and computer icon on the left top corner changed appearance. I wouldnt even consider it a problem, but mouse was not working as well, laser was off. It turns on when I press a mouse button though. I tried to launch terminal with ctrl+alt+t, but it did not work either. I was able to switch to console mode pressing ctrl+alt+F1 and rebooted the system from there. When switching to console mode it talks about some sort of mistake with USB devices. After rebooting everything switched back to normal. It was yesterday. Today I accidentally pressed a button on keyboard while booting and it lead to the same problem, except rebooting does not help any more. Can anyone suggest a solution?

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Color scheme changed by itself and some other problems

Post by austin.texas »

We will need some info on your system.
Update inxi with this command

Code: Select all

sudo inxi -U
Then run this and post the result (inside Code tags):

inxi -Fz
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

YKY
Level 1
Level 1

Post by YKY »

Hi!
I found out that mouse starts working and terminal launches if I wait like 2-3 minutes after booting.

So this is the output

~/Desktop/CEU $ inxi -Fz
System:    Host: bobik Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.2.13  Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P6T WS PRO v: Rev 1.xx
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 0603 date: 02/26/2009
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7 920 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 2668 MHz 1: 1600 MHz 2: 1600 MHz
           3: 2668 MHz 4: 1600 MHz 5: 2668 MHz 6: 1600 MHz 7: 1600 MHz
           8: 1600 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G92 [GeForce 8800 GT]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.15.1 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV92
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.0
Audio:     Card Intel 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: ALSA v: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: eth1 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2500.5GB (42.4% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sdb model: ST3500418AS size: 500.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sda model: ST31000520AS size: 1000.2GB
           ID-3: USB /dev/sdc model: FreeAgent_XTreme size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 35G used: 31G (92%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb6
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 5.28GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-3: swap-2 size: 12.87GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 41.5C mobo: 47.0C gpu: 0.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 1278 psu: 0 sys-1: 0 sys-2: 0 sys-3: 0
Info:      Processes: 231 Uptime: 3 days Memory: 3648.1/12007.4MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.15 

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

You shouldn't have to wait for anything with an 8 core i7.
I did notice that your / partition is 92% full. You will have to pay attention to that, at some point.
Other than that I don't notice any problem in the specs.
Was this a clean install of Mint 17 Cinnamon?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

YKY
Level 1
Level 1

Post by YKY »

So the problem magically solved itself. However here is a screentshot for history.

http://i.imgur.com/x2vnPhi.png

Thanks for pointing out the partion size problem, I missed it when I was installing mint. I am about to reinstall linux to increase the size, is there a way to do that without reinstalling? I tried gparted but it was not able to attach unallocated space to root partition.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

YKY wrote:Thanks for pointing out the partion size problem, I missed it when I was installing mint. I am about to reinstall linux to increase the size, is there a way to do that without reinstalling? I tried gparted but it was not able to attach unallocated space to root partition.
I would have to see what you have. Please post a screenshot of that drive (sdb?) in gparted.
Usually, about 20GB is enough for a / partition, if you keep personal files on a storage or /home partition.
Linux Linx 2018

YKY
Level 1
Level 1

Post by YKY »

austin.texas wrote:
YKY wrote:Thanks for pointing out the partion size problem, I missed it when I was installing mint. I am about to reinstall linux to increase the size, is there a way to do that without reinstalling? I tried gparted but it was not able to attach unallocated space to root partition.
I would have to see what you have. Please post a screenshot of that drive (sdb?) in gparted.
Usually, about 20GB is enough for a / partition, if you keep personal files on a storage or /home partition.
I've already reinstalled my mint and used partion program built into installer. I used live cd. The interesting thing is that the bug reproduced itslef. I have no idea why. So all folder icons changed color to green from beige again. =) Its also takes some time for mouse to start working after I log in into the system. Maybe it is problem with graphics card or smth? I have GUI crashed once after installed LM today.

EDIT
Also file browser looks kinda weird
http://i.imgur.com/JsxO0IQ.png

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Try these suggestions from the Mint 17 Cinnamon Release Notes.
Solving freezes with some NVIDIA GeForce GPUs
If you are unable to boot Linux Mint with an NVIDIA card, or if you are experiencing constant freezes and system lock ups, please append "nomodeset" to your boot arguments. At the boot menu of the live DVD/USB, press Tab to edit the boot arguments and add "nomodeset" at the end of the line.
If you're still having issues, you can also remove "quiet splash --" from that same line.
Alternatively you can use the "nouveau.noaccel=1" boot argument.

Once the system is installed, use the Driver Manager to install the nvidia-304 driver.
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_qiana_cinnamon.php
Linux Linx 2018

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

You are getting old gnome desktop settings taking over. Go into the Appearances area and make sure you check MintX theme.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

expat_tony
Level 4
Level 4

Post by expat_tony »

You are definitely seeing Gnome icons, both in your file manager and probably your menu icons too. And you are not alone. The following 3 links are just some of many reports in the forums.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 1&t=178045
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=178069
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=177936

Some people think it's due to a bug originally found in Ubuntu in early September. It was reported but apparently not eliminated, at least not in Mint updates, judging from your experience. Though I haven't had the problem for weeks now.

YKY
Level 1
Level 1

Post by YKY »

Spearmint2 wrote:You are getting old gnome desktop settings taking over. Go into the Appearances area and make sure you check MintX theme.
Mint and MintX is checked everywhere.
Last edited by YKY on Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

YKY
Level 1
Level 1

Post by YKY »

I tried to update my system running:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
It helped for 1 time. But after I rebooted it switched back to old gnome theme. Task bar is linux mint style though.

After that I've tried to:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon
as suggested in other topics, which didn't help.

I also found out a way to switch to normal theme. Relaunching desktop environment with ctrl+alt+backspace,
switches everything back to normal, but it is only a temporary solution since this change won't hold after rebooting.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I had that happen one time, don't recall what caused it, but as I recall, I messed around in settings and went to Desktop Sharing, clked on share my desktop and closed it, opened it again and chose to NOT share the desktop and suddenly it was back where it belonged.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

YKY
Level 1
Level 1

Post by YKY »

This voodoo is getting a bit silly.
I rebooted my computer once agian to try your desktop sharing thing and it switched back to LM theme by itself.

Return to “Newbie Questions”