Linking documents...[solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
thanosfrag
Level 3
Level 3

Linking documents...[solved]

Post by thanosfrag » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:26 am

Hi guys,

I am running LM 17 Cinnamon as my primary OS, Ubuntu as secondary and Debian GNOME as my tertiary OS.

This also means that my 500GB disk is partitioned accordingly, LM having the majority of the allocated space. The problem (not per se) is when I have to use the other two OS occasionally - accessing my documents, pics, videos, etc. is a bit of a nuance: it requires several mouse clicks. (you know: find the disk, home folder... documents)

I was wondering whether it is possible to link directly my LM document files with the documents files in the rest two OS?

I am sure that this should somehow be possible, but I don't know how yet...

Thanks
T.
Last edited by thanosfrag on Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Linking documents...

Post by altair4 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:54 am

One way to do this is with Bind: Using Bind to Remount Part of a Partition
The above HowTo was written assuming you had a Data Partition but if you don't have one you could consider the Mint install as the master location.

The first thing you would have to do is make sure you mount the Mint partition in all your other OS's.

So on the Ubuntu install for example you would mount the Mint partition at say ... /Mint. Something like this - with the correct UUID:

Code: Select all

UUID=076426af-cbc5-4966-8cd4-af0f5c879646 /Mint ext4 defaults,noatime 0 2
Then in rc.local on Ubuntu bind your Documents folder to the Documents folder on the Mint partition:

Code: Select all

mount --bind /Mint/home/altair/Documents /home/altair/Documents
The first "/home/altair/Documents" is in the Mint partition and the second one is in the Ubuntu partition. When you save something in Ubuntu's Document folder you are really saving it to the Mint Documents folder.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

thanosfrag
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linking documents...

Post by thanosfrag » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:15 am

Thanks altair4! Try it soon and let u know...

Return to “Newbie Questions”