Negative thing with Mint & MX

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
chzuck
Level 3
Level 3

Negative thing with Mint & MX

Post by chzuck »

As a newbie there is one thing that has really frustrated me. Neither Mint or MX support streaming video or audio. Neither will play some of the videos that are on Facebook. I keep getting a warning that I need Flash installed or updated. Today I wanted to listen to a college football game that uses Stretchinternet.com and the same thing, warning that I need to install Adobe Flash 10 something. I have tried several browsers - Chromium, Seamonkey, Iceweasel, and Midori. Are there other means out there that I do not know about?
Last edited by chzuck on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Running Mint 18, 17.3 & Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on USB sticks.
kurok
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Negative thing with Mint & MX

Post by kurok »

I think chrome might be able to do it. Google does flash now so it might be able to play these things.
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Google Chrome (not Chromium - or have I got that backwards?) has the latest Flash built into it. You can also install Pipelight if you want to have the latest Flash available in other browsers. With some sites you might also have to install a user agent switcher plugin and tell them you're using a different browser or operating system.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
konrad
Level 2
Level 2

Post by konrad »

When using Chromium you have to install flash plugin since (unlike Chrome) it does not come with it.

In terminal:
sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree

I just tested some random stretchinternet.com live stream and I can watch a game no problem. Works fine with Firefox out of the box as well but I prefer Chromium since it is faster.

Return to “Newbie Questions”