pc and mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
avtovaz
Level 2
Level 2

pc and mint

Post by avtovaz »

Im thinking of buying a new pc due to the one i have now seemms to be on its later legs.

Its a amd athlon thing, its ok but it seems to never like mint as much as my brothers computer does. Mine is a compaq i dont knwo what his is...

Can you please sugest a computer for me?

I run mint 1 now, use graphics a lot for video, i want to spend <£300.

Utube Hq vids etc is what i watch but want them to play faultlessly.

tahnjks

Edit I have one of these now
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Re: pc and mint

Post by MartyMint »

avtovaz wrote:i want to spend <£300.
A quality used machine. That's my suggestion.
nerdtron
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nerdtron »

If your main system is linux, you can buy computers with linux compatibility in mind.
I believe you can call zareason if you want to customize your order computer.
http://zareason.com/shop/Desktops/
Or on system76: https://system76.com/desktops/

If you can buy a computer with Intel processor, that would be great as I see good performance in them.
If you want to stick with AMD, just go with the highest Processor your money can buy. Mostly these youtube flash videos are reliant on the speed of the processor to render videos.
If you want more performance on your older computer, consider installing Mint 17 Xfce or MATE editions. They're lightweight and consume less resources, hence more performance for video playback.
"I learned a lot from repeatedly breaking my system and then reinstalling. Oh, and a lot of GOOGLE searches too!"
avtovaz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by avtovaz »

i have 17 mate now, would i be best buying a decent gfx card instead if it processing speed i need?

before i was looking at facebook and someones pics and the thumbnails, the lower i got down the page, the slower my computer got.

maybe its a hardware problem too as mint 15 didnt seem to be as bad as this
niowluka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by niowluka »

My advice: get a new mobo, cpu, ram and gfx and fit it into the old case. Specs are a little vague, but HDD doesn't look too bad, (unless you are running out of space), you also have DVD-ROM and card reader, you just need to 'pimp up' the core.

You should get a decent gear for £300.

Oh. and you have anything spare, get a new power supply, this one looks a bit weak...
Mint 17 Openbox (MATE) 64bit | Linux 4.1.6 (Vanilla)

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H | AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz | G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 RipjawsX, F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | MSI R7 260X 2048 MB GDDR5 OC
nerdtron
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nerdtron »

i have 17 mate now, would i be best buying a decent gfx card instead if it processing speed i need?
Video card is for games, also some models, especially latest ones can have problems on the proprietary drivers, while the open source drivers work, they are not 100% to fully utilize the card.
before i was looking at facebook and someones pics and the thumbnails, the lower i got down the page, the slower my computer got.
Yes, this is reliant on Processor and RAM. The same is experienced on lower end netbooks.
maybe its a hardware problem too as mint 15 didnt seem to be as bad as this
Probably your hardware is fine. The new OS gets updated with new features, the included programs are updated too. Generally, the newer OS will be slightly heavier on resources that the previous one. It one of the factors we upgrade hardware.

Does Mint 13 runs well on your hardware? Mint 13 is LTS and will be supported until 2017
"I learned a lot from repeatedly breaking my system and then reinstalling. Oh, and a lot of GOOGLE searches too!"
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

A quality used machine.
I doubt such a thing exists. I'm never buying a second hand (or 'refurbished') computer again after the bad experiences I've had.
avtovaz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by avtovaz »

oh i forgot to say it has a nvidea gf119 getforce gt610 video card in it, it has a 2 terrabite hd, and i thought i was running mate, but it cinnamon 64bit.

When i had mint 15 it seemed to run ok, but now the fan is sometimes comming in when im watching youtube vids.

maybe i should try the standard inbuilt card again first?
nerdtron
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nerdtron »

Could be a culprit too. A higher temp can cause your problems
avtovaz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by avtovaz »

just took it out and found a massive amount of dust in it LOL!

stil the same so i put it back in.

If i wanted to just upgrade the motherboard and chip, where do i look for th e bits?
kurok
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kurok »

Before buying any new equipment install mate or xfce versions of mint 17 and c how that works. Cinnamon needs 3d aceleration to work xfce and mate not so much. I have an old acer aspire one, dual core 1 gig of ram and flash plays great.
I use mate.
nerdtron
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nerdtron »

You can clean your system too. Added dust can also cause excess heat.

Return to “Newbie Questions”