Why can I connect to wireless but not wired network?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
JusTertii
Level 3
Level 3

Why can I connect to wireless but not wired network?

Post by JusTertii »

Building on what was said here, I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to get PEAP and MS-CHAPv2 connections working? Apparently it can be done, but I'm having real problems.

At my uni, I can connect to their wifi without problems by simply entering my username, password, and connection settings to PEAP and MS-CHAPv2. However, things change when I try and connect with my Ethernet port - it simply doesn't recognise it, and keeps thinking my credentials are wrong! I know it isn't a hardware problem, because I've tried booting into Win 7, which allows me to connect with a wired connection quite easily.

Here's the output of inxi -Fxz:

Code: Select all

<user>@<hostname> ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: <hostname> Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine:   System: LENOVO product: 4290CE3 version: ThinkPad X220
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 4290CE3 Bios: LENOVO version: 8DET69WW (1.39 ) date: 07/18/2013
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-2540M CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10366.7 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
[b]Network:   Card-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e ver: 2.3.2-k port: 5080 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter> [/b]
           Card-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 328.1GB (48.3% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST320LT007 size: 320.1GB 
           2: USB id: /dev/sdb model: Cruzer_Switch size: 8.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 23G used: 7.4G (35%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 23G used: 10G (47%) fs: ext4 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2901 
Info:      Processes: 188 Uptime: 6 days Memory: 1496.3/3729.9MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
Thanks in advance for any help people can give, and apologies if this should be in the networking board - I figured it was a newbie question, but mods feel free to move it if you wish.

JT
Last edited by JusTertii on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JusTertii
Level 3
Level 3

Re: PEAP connections?

Post by JusTertii »

Any ideas?

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Re: PEAP connections?

Post by Reorx »

My understanding of this topic is limited so bear that in mind...

1) "PEAP and MS-CHAPv2" has to do with 802.1x (i.e. wireless) security. As far as I can tell, it has nothing to do with wired connections... AND your wireless connection (and therefore "PEAP and MS-CHAPv2") seems to be working just fine...

2) Was your wired connection plugged-in when you ran inxi? If not, plug in your wired connection, run this following command in a terminal, & post results >>>

inxi -nxz
3) Rather than trying to ask a very technical question (PEAP and MS-CHAPv2 blah, blah, blah...), ask the simpler question - "Why can I connect to my uni(versity?) network wirelessly but not with a wired connection?" - might get more/better responses... just a thought...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

JusTertii
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Why can I connect to wireless but not wired network?

Post by JusTertii »

Thanks for your advice Reorx. Edited the OP to reflect your advice.

Here's the output of inxi -nxz:

~ $ inxi -nxz
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e ver: 2.3.2-k port: 5080 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>

While I'm on campus trying to connect to the wired network, I use the same network settings as for wireless - PEAP, MSCHAPv2, same credentials, same everything I can think of. However, I keep getting a popup box asking me to re-enter my password - so I'd guess that it isn't authenticating properly (but it's only a hunch).

JusTertii
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JusTertii »

Oh, I've worked the problem out. I was trawling my university's web site - turns out you need to use some Cisco VPN software to connect to their wired network. This software is only for Windows and Mac, so I guess I'm out of luck. Thanks anyway!

King Duzu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by King Duzu »

Perhaps it will work with wine?
Make sure to check out my imgur album Linux Mint 17 Qiana Cinnamon Edition
---------------------------------------
I love linux mint, therefore i have disabled adblocker+ on linuxmint.com. You should do the same.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx »

JusTertii wrote:Oh, I've worked the problem out. I was trawling my university's web site - turns out you need to use some Cisco VPN software to connect to their wired network. This software is only for Windows and Mac, so I guess I'm out of luck. Thanks anyway!
So your university will let any yutz log in wirelessly but if you have a wired connection, you need VPN software... really!?!?!? There must be more here than meets the eye... Is it possible that wired clients get different (greater) access than wireless clients? Also, if you can get to everything you need/want wirelessly, why care about a wired connection?
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

JusTertii
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JusTertii »

Reorx wrote:university will let any yutz log in wirelessly but if you have a wired connection, you need VPN software
Haha, only if said yutz has a valid username/password.
Reorx wrote: Is it possible that wired clients get different (greater) access than wireless clients? Also, if you can get to everything you need/want wirelessly, why care about a wired connection?
It may be possible, but I don't think it is the case - I can't imagine them wanting some kid with linux who knows what they're doing (ie not me) getting root access.

And I can access it wirelessly, but so does everyone else - and with everyone else hogging the wireless (damn those inconsiderate people wanting to work!), data rate's slow. It's normally ok, but in the lead up to exams, the place gets busy. Hence the wired connection - I was hoping it'd speed things up, or at least increase my battery life.
King Duzu wrote:Perhaps it will work with wine?
Good idea! I'll give it a whirl when I'm next on campus. I'm a wine amateur, so here's to hoping it works out the box!

Thanks all for your helpful suggestions,

JT

BlackVeils
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BlackVeils »

try opera web browser, with turbo mode enabled, this is for slow internet connections.

or use midori web browser with iphone user agent.

Return to “Newbie Questions”