Firefox - Thunderbird Migration?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rustyp
Level 3
Level 3

Firefox - Thunderbird Migration?

Post by rustyp »

I am trying to migrate all my data and settings from Firefox and Thunderbird from my windows machine to Thunderbird and Firefox in Linux Mint.

I have used Moz Backup http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/download.php on windows machines in the past to achieve this I have also used a portable version of Firefox and Thunderbird to move from machine to machine but they wont run in Linux Mint? so I need to just migrate the data?

Thanks in advance.

EmpireITtech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Firefox - Thunderbird Migration?

Post by EmpireITtech »

Well on the newer Firefox versions, you can just use their new syncing feature. It's similar to Google Chrome, as in once you sign it it merges the settings and bookmarks that you had before.

Not sure on Thunderbird, I never have "settings" that I need for it. I just add my email accounts and use whatever the Thunderbird defaults are :|
Linux: Mint 19 Tara Cinnamon 64-Bit

Box 1: Intel Core 2 Quad | 8gb RAM | 500gb WD 7200rpm | nVidia Geforce GTS250
Box 2: Intel Core i3-3240 | 4gb RAM | 1tb WD 7200rpm | AMD/ATI Radeon HD 4550

Pants: 32x30

slipstick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slipstick »

If I recall correctly what I did when I migrated from XP to Linux Mint, I went into Windows and found and copied the folder (and all subfolders) named C:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default where xxxxxxxx is an 8-bit string of letters and numbers (will be different on each system). I then copied that folder (and subfolders) into my Linux Mint directory /home/MyUserName/.thunderbird. Note that .thunderbird is an invisible directory so you will need to set your file manager options to display invisible directories - also, of course substitute your actual user name in place of MyUserName above. Then in .thunderbird I believe I had to modify the file profiles.ini to set PATH=xxxxxxxx.default where xxxxxxxx is the same string as the folder you copied from Windows.

I'm not sure about FIrefox, as I didn't do it that way, so maybe better to use the sync feature mentioned by EmpireITtech.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

Hecubus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hecubus »

Thunderbird has an import wizard from its tool menu. If you don't see your menu toolbar just right click around the top of the window and select 'menu toolbar'. Then under 'tools' select 'import'.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx »

Copy the migrating profiles and replace the Linux profiles with the migrating profiles (save copies of the profiles being replaced)...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

rustyp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rustyp »

Hecubus wrote:Thunderbird has an import wizard from its tool menu. If you don't see your menu toolbar just right click around the top of the window and select 'menu toolbar'. Then under 'tools' select 'import'.

Hi and thanks, I found the Import Wizard checked Import Everything then clicked next it takes me to a page that says import my everything from: but gives no option where to import the info from so I click Next again and nothing happens.

After some searching I am going to try this https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/mo ... w-computer
Before posting on this site I always verify I have the latest version of Linux Mint Cinnamon installed and run Update Manager.
Thanks.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx »

Did you not understand my previous post???

1) Find the windoze profiles (they are folders)

2) Copy profiles to USB stick - BE SURE to remember which is which!

3) Go to Linux installation and copy the migrating profiles for FF and TB to the location of the current FF and TB profiles... On Linux installations, the profiles have names of the format 8characters.default and are located in hidden folders (see images below) >
(hidden folders and files begin with a dot (.) like .thunderbird and .firefox. If you want to use Nemo (GUI filemanager) to do the migration, on the menu bar click View > scroll down to Show Hidden FIles and click it... :mrgreen: )

4) Rename the current FF profile to whatever_its_name_is to whatever_its_name_is.old and then rename the in-migrating profile to "whatever_its_name_is". Then close the file manager and start FF (the process is done while FF is NOT running) - you should see everything look and behave exactly as the donor system.
FFP.png
5) Do the same for TB.
TBP.png
6) Done!
easy.JPG
easy.JPG (10.2 KiB) Viewed 900 times
Note: There is more than 1 way to do the migration. The method described above is probably the simplest. I believe that FF and TB both support the ability to change from one profile to another (from within the software) so that you can have multiple profiles if you like. I only have 1 of each and have no need or desire for more for any given user.

Image Image

usbtux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by usbtux »

http://goo.gl/DXKgM LinuxMint tutorials.
Running LinuxMint 17.3 Mate. Pepermint 6 & Manjaro 15.12 Capella XFCE
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx »

<Reorx thinking to self... "I could have saved myself a bunch-o-typing"...> :lol:

Image Image

Return to “Newbie Questions”