[SOLVED] Multiple desktops?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

[SOLVED] Multiple desktops?

Post by lsemmens »

I played with Cinnamon for a short time but had to remove it owing to incompatibility with video card. With Ubuntu (also and issue) and Cinnamon I had the ability to switch desktops (Have I got the terminology correct?) so that I could have, say, email running fullscreen on one desktop, spreadsheet on another, etc. I cannot seem to find the facility to do the same in Mint 17 running Mate. I went through all settings and preferences that I could find but I am still locked into one desktop with multiple windows instead of multiple desktops with single windows. Where do I look?
Last edited by lsemmens on Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
caribriz
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Multiple desktops?

Post by caribriz »

Hi,

In LM17 mate, you can add Workspace Switcher to your panel.

Right-click the panel > click Add to panel .... > Workspace switcher
To add/edit workspaces, right-click Workspace switcher > click Preferences.
Desktop: C2D E6400 / Asus P5LD2SE / 2GB ram / Asus GeForce 210 / 320GB (WinXP) & 1TB (Mint - various)
Laptop: Asus A53E-SX1455V - i5 2450M / 4GB ram / Intel HD 3000 / 500GB (Win7/Mint 18.3 Cinnamon)
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Thank you that is what I was looking for. One more simple thing, can I program hot corners like Cinnamon? I liked Cinnamon but it would not play well with my video cards. Mate is the only one, so far that can handle multiple monitors using the cards that I had.
Fully mint Household
caribriz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by caribriz »

lsemmens wrote:,,,, One more simple thing, can I program hot corners like Cinnamon? ....
Sorry, I don't know how to do it for mate.
Hopefully, someone else will be able to help you out with that.
Desktop: C2D E6400 / Asus P5LD2SE / 2GB ram / Asus GeForce 210 / 320GB (WinXP) & 1TB (Mint - various)
Laptop: Asus A53E-SX1455V - i5 2450M / 4GB ram / Intel HD 3000 / 500GB (Win7/Mint 18.3 Cinnamon)
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

A default Mint Mate starts with 4 virtual desktops. The keypresses [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[RightArrow] and [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[LeftArrow] flip between them.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

It was not critical, just a nicety, having more than one desktop is a nice change from windoze. I'll flag this as solved.
Fully mint Household
XE1UFO
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Multiple desktops?

Post by XE1UFO »

Simply go to Preferences and then Hot Corners.

Return to “Newbie Questions”