upgrade from mint 16 cinnamon to mint 17 kde

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
badams_ios
Level 2
Level 2

upgrade from mint 16 cinnamon to mint 17 kde

Post by badams_ios »

I'm running mint 16 cinnamon and thinking of switching to mint 17 kde. If I upgrade using the option of backing up software packages and personal data, can I change from cinnamon to KDE?

Also, which DE has more features, cinnamon or KDE? From what I can gather in my searching, cinnamon is not as stable as kde or mate? I don't use my system for work. I use it for web activity like working on a remote BBS so I use things like filezilla, but mostly I watch netflix, listen to music, edit pictures and "try" to edit movies. (Can't seem to find a good movie editor.)

My system is a core 2 quad 2.4, 8 gb ram, nvidia GTS 250 with 2 1 terrabye WD blacks. WHEN will Mint support hardware raid?!!!

Show of hands, which DE is best for me?
Clewless

Lenovo ThinkServer
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz
20 GB RAM
3 TB WD Black, hardware raid 5 - /home
Nvidia GeForce GT 220
32" TV
In the Man Cave :)

Mint Mate 17.1

Media Center, image and video editing

nerdtron
Level 5
Level 5

Re: upgrade from mint 16 cinnamon to mint 17 kde

Post by nerdtron »

I'm running mint 16 cinnamon and thinking of switching to mint 17 kde. If I upgrade using the option of backing up software packages and personal data, can I change from cinnamon to KDE?
It is always recommended to do a fresh install when upgrading Mint so if you have data on your home partition, you should backup them and then reinstall Mint.
As for me in situations like this, I always have a separate partition or drive in which I have all my data. This way any fresh install of Mint/Linux, I have my data intact.
Also, which DE has more features, cinnamon or KDE? From what I can gather in my searching, cinnamon is not as stable as kde or mate? I don't use my system for work.
I say both are stable especially the Cinnamon on 17. I used KDE too and I liked it more. KDE has been around for ages so it really is featured filled. Also the level of customization in KDE is high. You'll spend hours on the system settings changing stuffs.
I don't use my system for work. I use it for web activity like working on a remote BBS so I use things like filezilla, but mostly I watch netflix, listen to music, edit pictures and "try" to edit movies. (Can't seem to find a good movie editor.)
Netflix, if I'm not mistaken will run on the latest version of Google Chrome (not Chromium). As for editing videos, haven't used any but you can try searching the software center for video editors.
"I learned a lot from repeatedly breaking my system and then reinstalling. Oh, and a lot of GOOGLE searches too!"

badams_ios
Level 2
Level 2

Post by badams_ios »

If I understand the upgrade process, one first backs up their /home files, then backs up their installed apps. Then the system does a fresh install. You then restore your /home files, and reinstall the installed apps using Mints backup tool.

I guess my question is this: Cinnamon uses gnome, and KDE is, well, KDE:) Do some apps rely on gnome to run, or are they all able to run on either gnome or kde? Since as I understand it, the "upgrade" really does do a fresh install, can I switch from cinnamon to KDE during the install and expect the apps that I backed up using mint backup - backup software selection to still work?

I understand most would prefer to do a fresh install, but I don't have a lot of time. nor do I want to spend a lot of time. I'm asking only if it'll work and if my apps will still work?

Seriously, this aint Windows :lol:
Clewless

Lenovo ThinkServer
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz
20 GB RAM
3 TB WD Black, hardware raid 5 - /home
Nvidia GeForce GT 220
32" TV
In the Man Cave :)

Mint Mate 17.1

Media Center, image and video editing

nerdtron
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nerdtron »

HHmmm haven't used the Mint backup tool yet to backup installed apps. It the Mint backup is only backing up the software selection and then reinstall all apps at once then no need to worry. Apps on GNOME work well on KDE too.
"I learned a lot from repeatedly breaking my system and then reinstalling. Oh, and a lot of GOOGLE searches too!"

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

There is no upgrade path from Mint16 to Mint17. Whatever method you use, the result is the same as installing Mint 17 then installing the applications you want from the new repository. The recommended route would remove Mint-16-Cinnamon at the same time as you installed Mint-17-KDE, but you can have dual-boot Mints; just make a 16GiB ext4 partition and choose ''something else'' during the installer partitioning step.

''When will Mint support hardware raid?'' Mint already supports hardware RAID by doing absolutely nothing.You buy a box that joins multiple storage devices into a single volume. The usual result is more expensive, less servicable and less reliable than a software method, like btrfs.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Return to “Newbie Questions”