Help with installing Updates

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
xxKatriny
Level 1
Level 1

Help with installing Updates

Post by xxKatriny » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:20 pm

Hey guys, I wasn't sure where to put this and I guess I'm still technically a newbie, so I thought here would be okay.

I'm trying to install updates, and it's giving me the error "E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. E: _cache->open() failed, please report." I tried to run the suggested command, but it told me, "dpkg: error: requested operation requires superuser privilege"...I'm not really sure how to do that as superuser.

I'm sure this is a simple fix, but I'm a little flustered trying to figure it out. Thanks!

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Help with installing Updates

Post by karlchen » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:28 pm

Hello, xxKatriny.

It is a bit unlucky that the dpkg instruction fails to tell you to prefix sudo to the commandline. So try

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --configure -a
please. sudo will ask for your password. Type it blindly, because the terminal window will not give any visual feedback while you type your password.
Provided you typed it correctly, the command "dpkg --configure -a" will be executed with root privileges.

Kind regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:33 pm

Must learn to type faster, Karlchen has said all I had typed before I could submit.
One additional tip. If you still have the terminal open, then pressing the up arrow key will take you back to the previous command you typed. Use the left hand arrow to navigate to the start of the line and type sudo in front. It wont save you much time in this instance, but the ability to backtrack is very useful when you've been doing lots of terminal commands
Go Steady, but keep going

xxKatriny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xxKatriny » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:52 am

karlchen and wilbobob, Thanks a lot for your help guys!! Looks like the updates are installing fine now. I feel a little silly, I tried "sudo apt" before posting this, but I guess I'm still learning the terminal and which commands do what and didn't realize I should have just typed "sudo".

Thanks!

Return to “Newbie Questions”